Configuring two DNS servers for UCX

Post by Tomasz Dryjansk » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:08:35

Hi all,
The system in question is
Digital TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.1 - ECO 10
on an AlphaServer 8200 5/440 running OpenVMS V7.1-1H1,
(and we have the same result on
DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.0A - ECO 2
on an AlphaServer 2100 4/275 running OpenVMS V7.2-1H1)

I would like to reconfigure it, so that I could make use of two external DNS
servers, for redundancy.

1 - Core environment
1 - BIND Resolver
Do you want to reconfigure BIND [NO] ? y
Enter your BIND server name: (1st DNS server here)
Enter your BIND server name: (2nd DNS server here)
Enter your BIND server name: (<CR>)
and it shows up correctly, i.e.
Servers: (1st), (2nd)
- but it still doesn't work... I mean if the 1st server was down, a DNS
query is not resolved:
UCX> show host (hostname)
%UCX-W-NORECORD, Information not found
-RMS-E-RNF, record not found
- after a very long timeout :(

What can I do? Upgrading the O.S. is out of question, for many reasons.

TIA -
T. D.

Configuring two DNS servers for UCX

Post by Ken Robinso » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:56:23

Quote:>Hi all,
>The system in question is
>Digital TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.1 - ECO 10
>on an AlphaServer 8200 5/440 running OpenVMS V7.1-1H1,
>(and we have the same result on
>DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.0A - ECO 2
>on an AlphaServer 2100 4/275 running OpenVMS V7.2-1H1)

>I would like to reconfigure it, so that I could make use of two external DNS
>servers, for redundancy.

I believe what you are looking for is the command:

$ ucx set name/system/server=

Check the help for "Set name" under UCX or TCPIP.

Ken Robinson

Post by Rainer Gies » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:23:55

>UCX> show host (hostname)
>%UCX-W-NORECORD, Information not found
>-RMS-E-RNF, record not found
>- after a very long timeout :(

At first I believe to remember, that you have to restart name
resolving (UCX SET NAME /DISABLE.../ENABLE)

At second : are you able to ping or reach the name servers anyway ?
 If yes than try UCX SHOW HOST * /SERVER=particular_server.
Unfortunally UCX/TCPIP always say "record not found" without any
reason.

--
Rainer Giese

Configuring two DNS servers for UCX

Post by Tomasz Dryjansk » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:24:54

Quote:> I believe what you are looking for is the command:

> $ ucx set name/system/server=

> Check the help for "Set name" under UCX or TCPIP.

That's it. Thank you very much.

T. D.

Configuring two DNS servers for UCX

Post by Tomasz Dryjansk » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:41:39

Quote:> At first I believe to remember, that you have to restart name
> resolving (UCX SET NAME /DISABLE.../ENABLE)

Thanks to Ken I know the solution. Which is
ucx> set name/system/server=(1st, 2nd)
preceded by
ucx> set name/system/noserver=...(any current entries)
if needed.
After
ucx> show name
one can see if the bind resolver is enabled. If it is not, then
ucx> set name/system/enable
does it.

T. D.

1. 'Insufficient resources' on newly configured DNS server

This is a problem I've encountered twice.  The first time I attempted to
resolve it by logging a call with Digital, but got nowhere so gave up as at
the time it affected only a test system.  Now I have the problem on a live
system.

We have a number of systems running DECnet Phase V.  We use DNS rather than
a local namespace.  Currently we have two DNS servers, neither of which
caused me any trouble when I originally configured them.  Now I'm trying to
configure a third, but apparently I'm suffering from 'insufficient
resources'.  Unfortunately the software declines to give me any clue about
which resource is insufficient, and those that I have thought of checking
seem fine to me.

So much for the overview of the problem, now for some specifics.

The new DNS server is on a VAX 4000-200 running DECnet/Plus V7.1 on OpenVMS
V7.1.  I have successfully run DNS$CONFIGURE to configure the server in the
existing namespace.  Its clearinghouse is in the root (.) directory, so the
root directory has been replicated to the new clearinghouse.

If I attempt to show the details of the new clearinghouse with the
following from any of the DNS server nodes

        $ MCR DNS$CONTROL SHOW CLEARINGHOUSE .SUNBURY3_CH ALL

I get the error message

        Error on entity: SUNBURY:.sunbury3_ch
        %DNS-E-RESOURCEERROR, Insufficient resources to process request

If I attempt to show the details of either of the previous two
clearinghouses from any of the DNS server nodes (including the newly
configured one) all is well.  I take this to indicate that it is the new
DNS server that is suffering from the resource error.  Unfortunately
neither the DNS$SERVER.LOG nor the DNS$SERVER_ERROR.LOG files contain any
indication of any problem.

I've looked at the usage of various process (e.g. pagefile quota) quotas
for the new DNS server.  There doesn't appear to be a problem.  I've also
looked at things like paged and non-paged pool and these don't appear to
have a problem.

So I have three questions:

Has anyone encountered this problem and discovered the solution?

Does anyone know how I might be able to track down which resource is the
problem?

Does anyone believe the problem is caused by something other than the new
DNS server?

--
Dane Maslen

My views are my own and no-one else's.

2. Having NG Problems

3. Configuring VMS as DNS server

4. ANN: I Ching & Tarot for Pilot

5. BIND/DNS Client asking BIND/DNS Server on non-standard port

6. using pfb2mf and ps2mf

7. Is there a UCX for VMS 5.4-3 with BIND SERVER (DNS) support?

8. Strings

9. Simulatenously transferring a 1GB file from VMS to two Windows 2k servers servers servers

10. How to configure DNS on our system

11. Configuring SMTP and DNS

12. How to configure an NTP server for a DTSS server

13. assign a DNS server to a workstation??