NTP avail for UCX?

NTP avail for UCX?

Post by T. Kepha » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00



Accurding to our Digital support staff, there is no implimentation of the
network time protocol for VMS.

Quote:> There is no (that I know of) Digital product to sync times over the network.
> --
> Digital Equipment Corporation

I find that very hard to believe.  I would have expected it to be part of
any servers TCP/IP package.  Especially since VMS doesn't appear to deal
with daylight savings time automatically.

I need to be able to sync times on 2 Alpha servers, and 10 Alpha
workstations, as well as several Macintosh and PC computers.  Currently,
there's a custom program that does this for our Alpha's over DECnet, but
we've recently (finally?) added the UCX tcp/ip stack to our Alphas, and I
would like to be able to either A) run a NTP server on one of them, and
NTP clients on the other Alphas, Macs, and PCs or B) run a NTP server
somewhere else if there's none available, and run NTP clients on the
Alphas, etc.

Please drop me an e-mail if you know of any way of doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas Kephart

                        this address is preferred.)

 
 
 

NTP avail for UCX?

Post by Stu Hes » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00



> Accurding to our Digital support staff, there is no implimentation of the
> network time protocol for VMS.

NTP is included in ucx 4.0 and 4.1 for at least the VAX, we don't have
any Alpha's so I can't speak for that.

 
 
 

NTP avail for UCX?

Post by Javier Henderso » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00



> Accurding to our Digital support staff, there is no implimentation of the
> network time protocol for VMS.

> > There is no (that I know of) Digital product to sync times over the network.
> > --
> > Digital Equipment Corporation

> I find that very hard to believe.  I would have expected it to be part of
> any servers TCP/IP package.  Especially since VMS doesn't appear to deal
> with daylight savings time automatically.

> I need to be able to sync times on 2 Alpha servers, and 10 Alpha
> workstations, as well as several Macintosh and PC computers.  Currently,
> there's a custom program that does this for our Alpha's over DECnet, but
> we've recently (finally?) added the UCX tcp/ip stack to our Alphas, and I
> would like to be able to either A) run a NTP server on one of them, and
> NTP clients on the other Alphas, Macs, and PCs or B) run a NTP server
> somewhere else if there's none available, and run NTP clients on the
> Alphas, etc.

I believe newer versions of UCX include NTP.

Either way, a fellow in Germany ported xntpd to VMS, and he did all
the work wit UCX.

I don't recall the exact location, unfortunately, but perhaps a
web search (Lycos, Yahoo, etc.) could turn something up?

--
Javier Henderson

 
 
 

NTP avail for UCX?

Post by Keith A. Lew » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00



Quote:>Accurding to our Digital support staff, there is no implimentation of the
>network time protocol for VMS.

>> There is no (that I know of) Digital product to sync times over the network.
>> --
>> Digital Equipment Corporation

>I find that very hard to believe.  I would have expected it to be part of
>any servers TCP/IP package.  

In the interest of educating above mentioned support staff, you might want to
point them to _Digital TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Management_, section 6.4
in the latest layered product docset (UCX V4.1).  The section title is "NTP".


PGP key available.         http://www.clark.net/pub/klewis/
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

 
 
 

NTP avail for UCX?

Post by David McKenzi » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00




> > Accurding to our Digital support staff, there is no implimentation of the
> > network time protocol for VMS.

> NTP is included in ucx 4.0 and 4.1 for at least the VAX, we don't have
> any Alpha's so I can't speak for that.

and in ucx 4.1 eco4 on alpha ( don't know about lower versions)
--
   Computershare Australia       Phone 613 9235
5635                                                                            
   18-62 Trennery Cres.                                        
   Abottsford 3067                                              
   Victoria                                                    

 
 
 

NTP avail for UCX?

Post by Martin Hun » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00




> > Accurding to our Digital support staff, there is no implimentation of the
> > network time protocol for VMS.

> NTP is included in ucx 4.0 and 4.1 for at least the VAX, we don't have
> any Alpha's so I can't speak for that.

I am running NTP on both VAX and Alpha (UCX V4.1 ECO 4).
--
Martin Hunt
Systems Administrator
Wellington City Council
 
 
 

NTP avail for UCX?

Post by John Hil » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00




> >Accurding to our Digital support staff, there is no implimentation of the
> >network time protocol for VMS.

> >> There is no (that I know of) Digital product to sync times over the network.
> >> --
> >> Digital Equipment Corporation

> >I find that very hard to believe.  I would have expected it to be part of
> >any servers TCP/IP package.

> In the interest of educating above mentioned support staff, you might want to
> point them to _Digital TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Management_, section 6.4
> in the latest layered product docset (UCX V4.1).  The section title is "NTP".


> PGP key available.         http://www.clark.net/pub/klewis/
> The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

You may also wish to remind them about DECNET/OSI. DTSS has been
available
in this since the start (>5 years), and was in the interim product
DECNET-VAX Extensions before that.
Regards,
John Hill
--
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+  Dr. John C. Hill                  University of Cambridge,       +

+  Phone:  +44-1223-337243           Madingley Road,                +
+  Fax:    +44-1223-353920           Cambridge, CB3 0HE, U.K.       +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
 
 

NTP avail for UCX?

Post by Robert Koehl » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00


: Accurding to our Digital support staff, there is no implimentation of the
: network time protocol for VMS.

Tell your suport staff CJL on them.  There are several.  I just set up NTP
on my Multinet and UCX this week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Koehler                     | Computer Sciences Corporation
                                | System Sciences Division

 
 
 

NTP avail for UCX?

Post by Fred W. Bach, TRIUMF Operatio » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00


#: Accurding to our Digital support staff, there is no implimentation of the
#: network time protocol for VMS.
#
#Tell your suport staff CJL on them.  There are several.  I just set up NTP
                        ^^^

   What, have we resorted to substituting Carl's initials for bad words now?


 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.

 
 
 

1. UCX and NTP

I considered using UCX's NTP service. However, as the UT time zone differential
 has to be reset in a logical name each time the winter/summer clocks change,
 it doesn't appear to be very useful.
Is there a version of UCX NTP which can work out the winter/summer clock changes
 given it knows which time zone it's in?

John

2. How do you know what DLLs are called in an EXE

3. ntp for UCX

4. Information Needed on Public Telephones

5. NTP Server on UCX 4.2

6. hello

7. Any NTP client for VMS/UCX ?

8. VMS: MAXPOLL not a recognized UCX$NTP.CONF keyword

9. Failing to understand the NTP service (UCX)

10. NTP with UCX 4.2

11. UCX's NTP vs. DST Changes

12. UCX$NTP Time Problem...