Hardware Games - Guru needed...

Post by Tim Smi » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:20:34

Hi,

Trying to build my own play VMS machine.

So I have purchased an alpha powered Digital Server 3000, model
FR-K7F2W-WC and there is a great picture and specs at:
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/SOC/QB00EJPF.PDF
It turns on (and beeps a lot)

I also purchased a Wyse WY-520 Terminal with keyboard, DECVT400M WY-60
compatible which turns on and I can access the setup menu

The terminal has a 25 pin / phone like cable from the main port to a
25 pin male which supposedly goes to the console though as per the
spec above the only 25 pin female is the printer which is no good.

1) Can I get a 25 to 9 adapter and somehow use the 'Remote Console
Port'?
2) Do I have to find MMJ data leads?
3) Are there any other options for connecting up the terminal?

thanks!

Tim

Hardware Games - Guru needed...

Post by Nic Clew » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:36:00

> Trying to build my own play VMS machine.

Welcome to the flock, brother.

Quote:> So I have purchased an alpha powered Digital Server 3000, model
> FR-K7F2W-WC and there is a great picture and specs at:
> http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/SOC/QB00EJPF.PDF
> It turns on (and beeps a lot)

> I also purchased a Wyse WY-520 Terminal with keyboard, DECVT400M WY-60
> compatible which turns on and I can access the setup menu

The SETUP of the WYSE I take it.

Quote:> The terminal has a 25 pin / phone like cable from the main port to a
> 25 pin male which supposedly goes to the console though as per the
> spec above the only 25 pin female is the printer which is no good.
> 1) Can I get a 25 to 9 adapter and somehow use the 'Remote Console
> Port'?
> 2) Do I have to find MMJ data leads?
> 3) Are there any other options for connecting up the terminal?

Your first problem I think is that the Alpha will want a screen plugged
into the VGA port, and a keyboard (PC will do) and mouse.

I don't know if these systems have an onboard VGA disable, my AS1000
does, so that would force it to use a serial line for the console
(unless you've put another graphics card in). A >>> SET CONSOLE SERIAL
and power cycle is the method if you cannot disable the VGA by a jumper.

The 9 way to 25 way, a standard PC wired version will do, but you'll
also need a null modem. You can I think avoid the MMJ.

I can't comment on running VMS on this, the doc you've pointed me at
just talks about NT, and I've not researched this any further.

Assuming you get further, you may also need an ECU and firmware. You're
not even having fun yet.

--
Regards, Nic Clews a.k.a. Mr. CP Charges, CSC Computer Sciences
nclews at csc dot com

Hardware Games - Guru needed...

Post by Bradford J. Hamilt » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:40:10

>> Trying to build my own play VMS machine.

>Welcome to the flock, brother.
<snip>

>I can't comment on running VMS on this, the doc you've pointed me at
>just talks about NT, and I've not researched this any further.

There is a thread, archived in Google, which talks about converting this
machine to run (Open)VMS.  Look for "Jeff Campbell" and "3000" in Google Groups
for comp.os.vms.  I'd post the actual URL, but it's messy.      :-)

Quote:

>Assuming you get further, you may also need an ECU and firmware. You're
>not even having fun yet.

>--
>Regards, Nic Clews a.k.a. Mr. CP Charges, CSC Computer Sciences
>nclews at csc dot com

Bradford J. Hamilton                    "All opinions are my own"
bMradAhamiPltSon-at-coMmcAast.nPeSt     "Lose the MAPS, and replace

Hardware Games - Guru needed...

Post by Doc.Cyphe » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:12:41

>writes:

>>> Trying to build my own play VMS machine.

>>Welcome to the flock, brother.
><snip>

>>I can't comment on running VMS on this, the doc you've pointed me at
>>just talks about NT, and I've not researched this any further.

>There is a thread, archived in Google, which talks about converting this
>machine to run (Open)VMS.  Look for "Jeff Campbell" and "3000" in Google Groups
>for comp.os.vms.  I'd post the actual URL, but it's messy.  :-)

Would this do?

Google is hackable. :)

Doc.
--
OpenVMS.         Eight out of ten hackers prefer *other* operating systems.

Hardware Games - Guru needed...

Post by Hans Vlem » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:13:40

A year ago I did that too, had quite some fun with it. The DS3000 had a
graphics interface (ELSA Gloria IIRC). I never tried to connect to the
serial ports though. On a DS5305 the firmware checks for the presence of a
keyboard (possibly the mouse too). When absent then the 5305 assumes that
the console is a serial device. The db25 connector on the 5305 is a parallel
port so I use a DB9 to mmj convertor to connect to a C.Itoh terminal.

Edit the file nvram (use ls on the srm prompt) and add:

10 set boot_reset on
20 set srm_boot on

Switch off, wait 60 secs and restart. The 3300 will now boot VMS.

Side question: what would be a reasonable price for a 3305 with 64 MB and
one disk, no ethernet?

Hans Vlems

Quote:> Hi,

> Trying to build my own play VMS machine.

> So I have purchased an alpha powered Digital Server 3000, model
> FR-K7F2W-WC and there is a great picture and specs at:
> http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/SOC/QB00EJPF.PDF
> It turns on (and beeps a lot)

> I also purchased a Wyse WY-520 Terminal with keyboard, DECVT400M WY-60
> compatible which turns on and I can access the setup menu

> The terminal has a 25 pin / phone like cable from the main port to a
> 25 pin male which supposedly goes to the console though as per the
> spec above the only 25 pin female is the printer which is no good.

> 1) Can I get a 25 to 9 adapter and somehow use the 'Remote Console
> Port'?
> 2) Do I have to find MMJ data leads?
> 3) Are there any other options for connecting up the terminal?

> thanks!

> Tim

1. VMS ASCII GAMES WAS: An old TOPS adventure game

Hm,

BTW,

anyone knows where to get the ASCII-VT100 Spaceinvader for VMS?

There where a bunch of games available arount 1982 for (Closed)VMS
those days.

Regards

Andreas

Subject:       Re: An old TOPS adventure game
Date:          Sat, 23 Aug 1997 22:22:14 -0400

Maybe you're thinking of Doom. I'm not very familiar with it myself,
but the description rings a bell. I'm not sure where else this has
been ported.

If you managed to meet your demise in or around the mansion, then it
wasn't Dungeon, also sometimes called Zork. (There are a number of
references to Zork internally.) Dungeon also starts you off in a
house, but there'snot much going on there except for a number of
useful objects to collect. There is a VMS version of Dungeon available
on the OpenVMS Freeware CD, compiled for both VAX and Alpha. The
Fortran sources are also present.

Dungeon is the more or less direct descendant of Adventure (which,
BTW, is where the magic word "plugh" appears). These two games are the
grand-daddies of all othe other role-playing adventure games. (Oh,
yeah, Adventure is also on the Freeware CD.)
| proGIS Software - Germany - Aachen             |
| Visit our homepage http://www.progis.de        |
| For OpenVMS interested people                  |
|       http://www.progis.de/vms00000.htm        |
| My Rugby-Club http://www.progis.de/rca00000.htm|

2. LDIFDE utlity

3. Need Hardware token solution needed

4. If I have the controls of a page generated from a RecordSet..

5. Decnet Pathworks Guru Needed ;)

6. Retro Remakes competition..

7. VMS Guru's Help Needed

8. VAC++ - where to put #define for "os2.h"

9. UK Printer hardware Supplier Needed

10. Hot-swap hardware (it works fine where needed)

11. Need more powerful hardware

12. Need table of Hardware Models f$getsyi("hw_model")

13. Need to get hardware ethernet address