Does TCPIP_ECO V5.3-182 break SSH EAK?

Post by Paul Stu » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:14:27

Has anyone seen this?

I applied TCPIP_ECO V5.3-182 and rebooted, as per the instructions.

SSH was no longer recognized as a legitmate command. I reinstalled SSH,
but it still didn't recognize the SSH command (OK, maybe I should have
logged in again at that point).

I then went into TCPIP$CONFIG and had to enable SSH again.
Still no joy until another reboot, when the SSH command was once again
recognizable.

--
Paul Sture

Post by Dirk Mun » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 05:51:19

> Has anyone seen this?

> I applied TCPIP_ECO V5.3-182 and rebooted, as per the instructions.

> SSH was no longer recognized as a legitmate command. I reinstalled SSH,
> but it still didn't recognize the SSH command (OK, maybe I should have
> logged in again at that point).

> I then went into TCPIP$CONFIG and had to enable SSH again.
> Still no joy until another reboot, when the SSH command was once again
> recognizable.

Yes, this is normal.
SSH is still a EAK kit, so the install procedures of updates are not made to
take in account that it is installed. If I'm not mistaken this info is in the
release notes somewhere.

1. HP's SSH server EAK

TCP/IP Services 5.3 ECO 2
OpenVMS Alpha 7.3

I've installed the EAK for HP's SSH client/server product onto my
hobbyist system and have run into a snag I'm hoping the group can help
with.  It seeems from the log that the server cannot read the client
public-key file.  The log doesn't suggest _why_ the server cannot read
it, but I suspect  the file format is wrong.

The EAK documentation says that public-key files must be in StreamLF
format.  Since I created The public-key file on a Windows client using
PuTTYgen, and FTP's it to my VMS system using ASCII mode, the file was
created on the VMS system in the variable-length file format.  I don't
have a clue really about VMS file formats, but after some googling on
the subject I concluded that the following command would convert the
file to StreamLF:

$ SET FILE/ATTRIBUTE=RFM:STMLF <filespec>

Here's the result:

$ DIRECTORY/FULL <filespec>

Directory DISK$USR:[TBRANSCO.SSH2]

DSASSH2_20030418_PUBLIC.PPK;1             File ID:  (38,28180,0)
Size:            2/4          Owner:    [TBRANSCO]
Created:   18-APR-2003 21:34:06.32
Revised:   19-APR-2003 11:08:18.87 (3)
Expires:   <None specified>
Backup:    <No backup recorded>
Effective: <None specified>
Recording: <None specified>
File organization:  Sequential
Shelved state:      Online
Caching attribute:  Writethrough
File attributes:    Allocation: 4, Extend: 0, Global buffer count: 0
                     No version limit
Record format:      Stream_LF, maximum 0 bytes, longest 680 bytes
Record attributes:  Carriage return carriage control
RMS attributes:     None
Journaling enabled: None
File protection:    System:RWED, Owner:RWED, Group:RE, World:R
Access Cntrl List:  None
Client attributes:  None

Total of 1 file, 2/4 blocks.

The only other reason I can think of for the server's inability to read
the file would be access rights, but I gave the file WORLD read access.

If anyone has suggestions on how to fix this, I'd appreciate hearing
them.  Thanks.

Alder

2. Trend Micro Scanmail eManager

3. SSH server EAK - X forwarding

4. FW-1 and SNMP traps

5. HP's SSH EAK

6. cannot pass volatile data object to non-const/volatile member function?

7. PATHWORKS V5.1 for DOS and Windows - Special Notice Regarding V5.1 PAKs

8. SPARC LX Memory Question

9. SSH 2.0-based SSH server for VMS?

10. FYI: SSH for VMS Discussion List (3rd post; Sep 1998) (was Re: SSH for VMS ?)

11. Upgraded to DECC v5.5-002 and #include is broken.

12. NDFP V5.4.3 patch A - serve DOS PC files & disks to VMS

13. Problems with DOS PWV6 clients and PW V5.0C server