Ethernet card for alphaserver 1000a

Post by Islan » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:10:47

DE500-BA  $55 or XA $50

David

--
David B Turner
Island Computers US Corporation

http://www.hpaq.net

Post by Keith Parr » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:42:35

> I've just acquired an Alphaserver 1000A 5/300 on which I'd like to run
> OpenVMS 7.3 with a hobbyist license. It came without an ethernet card
> so I'd be very grateful if someone could advise me of a compatible one
> to buy.

The Alphaserver 1000A 5/300 Supported Options List is at
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/options/as1000aev5/as1000aev5_o...

I bought three DE500-BA cards new-in-the-box last year for $10 each.
Check eBay, or if you feel more comfortable with a guarantee, take up
David's offer.

Post by Alan Frisbi » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:50:09

> Hi,

> I've just acquired an Alphaserver 1000A 5/300 on which I'd like to run
> OpenVMS 7.3 with a hobbyist license. It came without an ethernet card
> so I'd be very grateful if someone could advise me of a compatible one
> to buy.

Get a DE500.   It's compatible.   It rocks.   The price is right.
I went to a presentation on cluster interconnects.   The DE500
did *very* *well* for all but gigantic transfers.   I don't have
the slides handy, but I'm sure that someone here does.

Alan

Post by John Travel » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:31:44

> > The Alphaserver 1000A 5/300 Supported Options List is at
> > http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/options/as1000aev5/as1000aev5
> > _options.html

> Thanks for that. Looking at memory options it seems that some of the
> kits have 4 modules and some 5. I guess the extra one is for error
> checking and goes in one of the slightly offset slots on the board.

The '5 module sets' belong to the 1000-NOT-A and the '4 module sets' to the
1000A.

--
John Travell
VMS crashdump expertise for hire

+44-(0)23-92552229
http://www.jomatech.com/

---

1. AlphaServer 1000A 5/300 onboard graphics card ???

Hi

We bought an AlphaServer 1000A 5/300.  The owners manual supplement says
that the on-board graphics hardware was removed in later motherboard
versions (presumably ours).  Yet, DECWindows loads a graphics driver for
Cirrus 5422 (GQA0) anyway, and as a result the OPA0: console is broadcast
disabled (SET TERM OPA0: /NOBROADCAST) and so I lose OPCOM messages.

Sure, I can modify the system startup to make it work, but my real question
is, how can I identify one of these "later motherboards" that are supposed
not to have the graphics hardware ?  The system back panel has a video
connector on it (I don't know if it is actually connected).  Without
shutting down the system (which I really don't want to do) is there any way
I can tell ?  The system serial number is ZG64800689 (Pinnacle Kernal
PB77A-A9).  In the AlphaServer 1000A specific DECWindows .COM file it
mentions Mikasa and Noritake, but not "Pinnacle".

Any ideas ?

Regards

Jason Armistead

DECUS Australia Internetworking/Pathworks SIG chairman
Check out http://www.decus.org.au for more info

At work: OTIS Engineering Centre, Minto, Australia
Check out http://www.otis.com to learn about the Odyssey system !

2. Why fiber does not auto-negotiate???

3. Alphaserver 1000a Problem

4. Using the Active Directory User and Computer Snap-in in 2000 Professional

5. AlphaServer 1000A memory test from SRM console?

6. Destiny Reviewed

7. DE500-AA on Alphaserver 1000A

8. Tons of OS/2 music software to download....

9. UW SCSI performance on AlphaServer 1000A

10. Performance of internal SCSI of AlphaServer 1000A

11. AlphaServer 1000A problem with KZPAA & onboard SCSI

12. BA350-KA connected to a Alphaserver 1000A?

13. AlphaServer 1000A, VMS 7 and Oracle 7 ??