UCX NFS Client Poor performance issue

Post by S Binyo » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

All,
    We are attempting to use NFS to share files between a Sparc2 (solaris
2.6) and a VAX 4000 (VMS 6.2, UCX 3.3).   With the Sparc2 being the SERVER
and the VAX being the
CLIENT,  the performance is just not acceptable, with a directory query
(DIR/OUT=NL:)  taking over 6 minutes to complete between SERVER and CLIENT,
whereas using the CLIENT's disk of of the same number of files (4500) taking
just under a minute.

What can a poor man do?   Where can I start in determining tunable
parameters on the VAX side and the UNIX side.   FAQs,  hints. etc.   OR is
this the best that can be done.
I realize that there will be a performance hit, but not this much.

Steve Binyon