Galaxy license question

Post by Jim Mehlho » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

If you have a product that licenses against a system and then you
install Galaxy and run 2 instances, do you need 2 licenses?

Jim

    Jim Mehlhop, Support Engineer
    Process Software

    Phone 719-638-8448
    Join Cauce to outlaw spam
    http://www.cauce.org/

Galaxy license question

Post by Clair Gran » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> If you have a product that licenses against a system and then you
> install Galaxy and run 2 instances, do you need 2 licenses?

> Jim

> --

No.

I'm not a licensing expert when it comes to all the possible business
practice options but I can tell you that the theory behind the code that
was implemented was that for an existing customer about to change an
8400 into a 2-istance Galaxy, for example, all you would need in
addition to what you already have is the per-CPU Galaxy licenses
themselves.
--
Clair Grant
VMS Exec Group Project Leader

Galaxy license question

Post by Hans Bachn » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

09:03:02 -0700:

Quote:>If you have a product that licenses against a system and then you
>install Galaxy and run 2 instances, do you need 2 licenses?

No. You need one Galaxy license per CPU, but the existing licenses for
a single instance non-Galaxy system are valid for all instances you
can run in that box (currently 2 or 3, depending on your hardware).

---------------- speaking only for myself ----------------
Hans Bachner
Compaq Computer Austria
Compaq Customer Services - Software Support

Galaxy license question

Post by Hans Bachn » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

09:03:02 -0700:

Quote:>If you have a product that licenses against a system and then you
>install Galaxy and run 2 instances, do you need 2 licenses?

No. You need the licenses as if you run a single OpenVMS instance plus
one Galaxy license per CPU. You even don't need a VMSCLUSTER license
if the cluster consists only of members in a single Galaxy system.

In all cases I can think about you save money because the cost for the
Galaxy licenses is easily compensated by the fact that you need only
one OpenVMS license and only one LP license for multiple Galaxy
instances.

---------------- speaking only for myself ----------------
Hans Bachner
Compaq Computer Austria
Compaq Customer Services - Software Support

Galaxy license question

Post by Jim Melhho » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Hans,
Jim

> 09:03:02 -0700:

> >If you have a product that licenses against a system and then you
> >install Galaxy and run 2 instances, do you need 2 licenses?

> No. You need the licenses as if you run a single OpenVMS instance plus
> one Galaxy license per CPU. You even don't need a VMSCLUSTER license
> if the cluster consists only of members in a single Galaxy system.

> In all cases I can think about you save money because the cost for the
> Galaxy licenses is easily compensated by the fact that you need only
> one OpenVMS license and only one LP license for multiple Galaxy
> instances.

> ---------------- speaking only for myself ----------------
> Hans Bachner
> Compaq Computer Austria
> Compaq Customer Services - Software Support

1. License question: How can I tell if a license if Vax or Alpha

Hello there-

I have a question regarding licenses. We are giving away a mixed cluster
(1 VAX + 1 Alpha) as we have obtained a new Alpha. I need to know what
licenses are only applicable for VAX or for Alpha. Is there a way to
tell (other than test it of course :-).

Here are some examples:
VAXCLUSTER - we have 3 licenses like this; are they only for VAX
machines or they are good for Alpha as well?
DVNETEND

In some cases the licenses have an entry ALPHA in the OPTIONS part of
the license PAK (I can see that using LICENSE LIST). Does this mean they
are only good for Alpha. And in this case these licenses that do not
have the ALPHA key on OPTIONS, does this mean that they will not work
for an Alpha?

Any help appreciated. I looked in the FAQ but did not find a relevant
item. Searching so far in Wizards' page did not reveal anything (plus it
is TOO slow behind a firewall...)

Thank you for reading this. Kind regards,

Petros
---
Petros Dafniotis, PhD

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Training Videos

3. Question on Wildfire/Galaxies (W/G)

4. Palm-O-Rama reviews JackFlash

5. Don't work at Elastic Networks!

6. Galaxy question

7. CP/M for Model 4

8. Galaxy QUESTIONS

9. VMS Cluster license deletes VMS User Licence

10. license generation question revisited

11. OpenVMS license question

12. license question