OpenVMS the last OS without JAVA Script 1.2?

OpenVMS the last OS without JAVA Script 1.2?

Post by Rudolf Winger » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

AFAIK OpenVMS is the last OS without JAVA script 1.2. This is very bad,
because we can't see our own home page (stored on a Sun), which uses
the rollover feature of JAVA script 1.2. Also, there is a problem with
Mozilla 15 JAVA based on version 1.3. This is (will) not available under
OpenVMS. Is there any acceptable roadmap?

TIA and regards Rudolf Wingert

Post by Arne Vajh? » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

> AFAIK OpenVMS is the last OS without JAVA script 1.2. This is very bad,
> because we can't see our own home page (stored on a Sun), which uses
> the rollover feature of JAVA script 1.2.

First Java and JavaScript is not the same.

Java is a programming language invented by SUN.

JavaScript is a script language invented by NetScape.
It was originally named LiveScript, but NS renamed it to
ride on the Java wawe.

I assume you mean JDK 1.2.2 / Java 2 (never heard of
versions of JavaScript).

JDK 1.2.2 is available for almost all platforms except
VMS.

But it is in beta test and it looks good.

Arne

Post by d.w.. » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

> > AFAIK OpenVMS is the last OS without JAVA script 1.2. This is very
bad,
> > because we can't see our own home page (stored on a Sun), which uses
> > the rollover feature of JAVA script 1.2.

> First Java and JavaScript is not the same.

> Java is a programming language invented by SUN.

> JavaScript is a script language invented by NetScape.
> It was originally named LiveScript, but NS renamed it to
> ride on the Java wawe.

> I assume you mean JDK 1.2.2 / Java 2 (never heard of
> versions of JavaScript).

> JDK 1.2.2 is available for almost all platforms except
> VMS.

> But it is in beta test and it looks good.

> Arne

But oh so late.

Beta JDK 1.2 only available for VMS 7.2.
(Final release should support VMS 7.1).
But Sun have just released JDK 1.3.

Will we have to wait for JDK 1.4 before VMS gets JDK 1.3 ???

David Webb
VMS and Unix team leader
CCSS
Middlesex University

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

OpenVMS the last OS without JAVA Script 1.2?

Post by Rudolf Winger » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

Arne (sorry your lastname contains unwritable characters for me) wrotes:

I assume you mean JDK 1.2.2 / Java 2 (never heard of
versions of JavaScript).
<<<

No I do mean JAVA script 1.2. JAVA script do function on OpenVMS Alpha and
VAX, but in an old version. Every other system knows the "rollover JAVA
script (Rollover.js)" exspect OpenVMS. I have made a call to TSC Muenchen.
The answer: there is no chance at the moment and the near future to get
this version of JAVA script. Do you know which version of JAVA script is
ditributed with JAVA 2. For more information, here the specific source
code line:

        <script LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" SRC="./rollover.j<script>

As far as you see JavaScript1.2.

Regards Rudolf Wingert

Post by Dan Sugalsk » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

> No I do mean JAVA script 1.2. JAVA script do function on OpenVMS Alpha and
> VAX, but in an old version.

VMS doesn't execute JavaScript. Neither does any other operating system.
JavaScript is executed by web browsers, and this is purely a web browser
issue.

The short answer is that Netscape 3.x doesn't do the latest version of
JavaScript, and it's what's available on VMS. Milestone builds of Mozilla
do have the latest version of JavaScript on 'em.

Regardless, you'll probably find it doesn't matter much as an awful lot of
folks (last I heard it was around 25%) turn JavaScript off by default, and
the VMS crowd does it in larger proportion than that. (We're more aware of
the problems it can cause, I expect)

                                        Dan

Post by Arne Vajh? » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

> > JDK 1.2.2 is available for almost all platforms except
> > VMS.

> > But it is in beta test and it looks good.
> But oh so late.

Yes.

But I see it as a sign of that Compaq is doing it
better now.

Look:
  - JDK 1.2.2 in beta
  - Apache in beta
  - Mozilla in beta
  - new graphics drivers
  - WildFire announcement
  - huge interest at Compaq for user input to future VMS versions

Everything is not perefct, but it looks as if they are trying !

Arne

OpenVMS the last OS without JAVA Script 1.2?

Post by Arne Vajh? » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

>> I assume you mean JDK 1.2.2 / Java 2 (never heard of
>> versions of JavaScript).

> No I do mean JAVA script 1.2. JAVA script do function on OpenVMS Alpha and
> VAX, but in an old version.
>         <script LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" SRC="./rollover.j<script>

> As far as you see JavaScript1.2.

OK, then I have learned something new.

But as someone lese have noticed, then JS is a browser
feature not an OS feature.

Question:

Is JS 1.2 supported in NS 3.x on other platforms but not ion VMS ?
Or is it just NS 3.x on VMS that is not as uptodate as NS 4.x on other
platforms ?

In case of the latter, then it is well-known that the missing NS/VMS 4.x
is a huge problem, but that VMS will be up to speed with Mozilla !

Arne

1. VMS 6.1 DEBUGGER DECwindows interface (DW-Motif 1.2, Motif 1.2.)

O/S:    VMS 6.1
Box:    VAXstation 3100
App:    DEBUGGER DECwindows interface

2 questions:

I changed the font in the source window so I could see more code.
The font I chose is the same as I use on my terminal:

DebugSource.Font: -dec-terminal-medium-r-narrow--14-100-100-100-c-60-iso8859-1

Now I think I can see almost all of my normal 132-column code line without
using the horizontal scroll-bar, and I can see more lines, too.  The font
change was a good idea for me.

And the breakpoint boxes on the left have scaled down in size too.  The boxes
line up with each code line, as they should.

But the big arrow on the left that says 'you are here' is still big.  With the
font I've chosen, the arrow seems to point to a spot in the code window that
is right between 2 code lines.

If I think about it, I can tell which line the arrow is really supposed to be
pointing to.  But I don't always think when I have a nice display.

Is there a way I can get the arrow to scale the way the breakpoint boxes have?
Or am I stuck using the monstrous font so the arrow lines up properly?

I took another look at the VMSDEBUG.DAT resourcefile and couldn't find
anything obvious.

I don't really like waiting for the debugger to start up.  The 6.1 version
does start faster than the old version, and it doesn't try to build 4 windows
like the old version.

But what I want it to do is this:

When I do $ SPAWN/NOWAIT DEBUG/KEEP in a parent process, I want the kept
debugger to start up happily, but start up as icons rather than windows.
Soemtimes I can put a ".InitialState: 3" resource in the file.  I haven't
tried this yet.

What I did try was collapsing the 3-paned window as soon as I saw it.  The
window went away to an icon OK, but then my parent (DCL) window stated spewing
out messages about X errors from the subprocess.

Is there a way I can get the debugger to happily start up as a sub-process
with initial states of icon rather than window?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew
Andrew B. Sackett               Voice: (905) 521-9800 Ext. 5150

Chedoke McMaster Hospitals
Hamilton, Ontario            I speak only for myself.  I don't know anybody
Canada                       else well enough to speak for them.

2. stop password & exspired vscan

3. DECterm problem under OpenVMS 7.1-1H1, DECwindows Motif 1.2-4

4. Help me pick a Video Card

5. Font problems under OpenVMS 7.1-1H1 and DECwindows Motif 1.2-4 ECO03

6. FS - Psion 3C Backlit - 175 UK Pounds

7. Bookreader on Motif 1.2-4 under OpenVMS/Alpha v6.2

8. Remotedebugging on DOS, C, Intel EX386

9. Problem with OpenVMS 6.2 Alpha and DECwindows Motif 1.2-3

10. OpenVMS 6.2/Motif 1.2-3 problem

11. where is java2 (1.2) for OpenVMS?

12. OpenVms AXP 1.0 & DEC C 1.2 *.h files

13. OpenGL 1.2 on OpenVMS/Alpha