what is VMS advanced Server

Post by Kesav Tadimet » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:56:48

Hello all
What exactly is the VMS advanced server & how is it different from the
normal VMS? Does VMS also have a concept of workstation and server like
windows?

Thanks
keshav

what is VMS advanced Server

Post by Brad McCuske » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:01:56

Advanced Server for OpenVMS is the name of the SMB file and print server
that runs on VMS (in other words, its a Windows NT/2000 compatible file and
print server).  It used to be known as PATHWORKS for OpenVMS.

Brad McCusker
OpenVMS Engineering

Quote:> Hello all
> What exactly is the VMS advanced server & how is it different from the
> normal VMS? Does VMS also have a concept of workstation and server like
> windows?

> Thanks
> keshav

what is VMS advanced Server

Post by Larry Kilgall » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:09:40

<top-posting corrected>

>> Hello all
>> What exactly is the VMS advanced server & how is it different from the
>> normal VMS? Does VMS also have a concept of workstation and server like
>> windows?

<top-posting corrected>

Quote:> Advanced Server for OpenVMS is the name of the SMB file and print server
> that runs on VMS (in other words, its a Windows NT/2000 compatible file and
> print server).  It used to be known as PATHWORKS for OpenVMS.

> Brad McCusker
> OpenVMS Engineering

For some of us, "Advanced Server" is an unfortunate naming choice.
Some allege the name is supposed to sound familiar to to Windows
users, but I would say Kesav Tadimeti has defeated that argument.
The same stuff formerly was called "Pathworks", which was equally
obscure.

As for your second question, the distinction between a workstation
and a server tends to be less in VMS than in Windows.  Of course
something must have a display to be called a workstation (not all
VMS systems have that), but the software differences to make a
workstation happen to be present on a lot of VMS servers these
days.  Most VMS servers have a license for more than a single
user, but there are exceptions.

what is VMS advanced Server

Post by Nic Clew » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:03:50

> What exactly is the VMS advanced server & how is it different from the
> normal VMS? Does VMS also have a concept of workstation and server like
> windows?

Brad's "the man" to give you the answer about Advanced Server.

As to workstation or server concepts, the answer is more vague. As
opposed to Windows, you use the same software for a server (which we'll
define as being potentially back-room, lots of storage, centrally
managed, multiple CPU, probably clustered multiple servers) and a
workstation (which we'll define as the graphics head is the primary
display, single CPU and lower end local direct attached storage,
possibly clustered with a server as above over a single or multiple
network interfaces)

The difference in the way they run is in the setup of system parameters
if they are clustered, voting strategies, distributed lock management,
availability considerations.

However it gets very, very vague. You can have graphics cards on server
systems, and workstations that do not have graphics cards. Systems can
share the same operating system software disk (network / lan booting) or
have their own. THe "security domain" resides in the cluster with
multiple systems, otherwise it is per system where by and large physical
access has it. It is a very flexible operating system.

Licensing classes is one area of distinction, servers fall into the
workgroup and enterprise  levels of server, the workstation is the
lowest and cheapest class.

I'm not sure if to you I've either cleared or muddied the water, however
you could run Advanced Server on either a workstation or a server class,
or both, there is no demarcation between systems. Typically, folks run
little test environments and do things on workstations that typically
don't affect the larger number of users expected on server systems yet
this is transparent to whatever is being run.

To be fair, the real distinction is clustered or not clustered, where
the clustering is many multiple (to 96 systems supported) in a shared
everything environment, or merely standalone.

Even the word "cluster" is worlds apart from what is offered by a
Windows system. Or others for that matter.

I'll stop woffling now.

--
Regards, Nic Clews a.k.a. Mr. CP Charges, CSC Computer Sciences
nclews at csc dot com

what is VMS advanced Server

Post by Patrick Youn » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 21:40:55

> As to workstation or server concepts, the answer is more vague. As
> opposed to Windows, you use the same software for a server (which we'll
> define as being potentially back-room, lots of storage, centrally

I don't like the term "server". I make it a point to inform my
users they are using a workstation. In the machine room (No, not
server room), there is a badge on the front of each VMS box
supplied by Compaq saying "workstation" - being a cluster of workstations.

The Tru64 8400 "AlphaServer" is a bit hard to cover up.

"Server" smells too much like Novell and Window(tm) for
my liking.

what is VMS advanced Server

Post by David J. Dachter » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 03:34:56

> Hello all
> What exactly is the VMS advanced server & how is it different from the
> normal VMS? Does VMS also have a concept of workstation and server like
> windows?

"Advanced Server" is a layered product, not a flavor of the o.s. As
others have noted, it was formerly known as Pathworks.

Similar functionality is available in Samba for OpenVMS, but Samba is
still a bit "green" - configuration and administration of it takes a lot
more knowledge of its internals than really should be required. Samba is
freeware, however, where Adavanced Server client licenses tend to be
priced on a par with VMS (i.e., excessive).

FWIW, workstation/server is not much of a distinction even in Windows.
It was said that NT 4.0 could be installed as NT Server from the
workstation CD if you knew how to twiddle certain things. Also, the
server CD contains server-side elements that were lacking on the
workstation CD.

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

what is VMS advanced Server

Post by lesl » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 05:55:32

:
: FWIW, workstation/server is not much of a distinction even in Windows.
: It was said that NT 4.0 could be installed as NT Server from the
: workstation CD if you knew how to twiddle certain things. Also, the
: server CD contains server-side elements that were lacking on the
: workstation CD.
:

Here's an article that goes into more detail, including NT 4.0 having
a common kernel between NT Workstation and NT Server:

   ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/windows/win95.update/ntnodiff.html
   Minimal NT Server/Workstation Differences

  "Differences Between NT Server and Workstation are Minimal

   Registry Settings Used to Force Use of Microsoft Web Server

   This page updated November 14, 1996

   Andrew Schulman
   Senior Editor, O'Reilly & Associates

   Much of the research discussed in this article was done by NT
   Internals expert Dr. Mark Russinovich, a Consulting Associate for Open
   System Resources, Inc. Russinovich is coauthor of numerous NT systems
   utilities, such as the NT registry monitor, the NT file monitor, and
   the NTFS file system for DOS. OSR specializes in file system, device
   driver, and data communications consulting, training, and development
   for Windows NT and other platforms. Neither Dr. Russinovich nor OSR
   are responsible for the conclusions drawn in this article.

   This article has been written to describe and explain the differences
   between Microsoft's Windows NT Server and NT Workstation products, not
   for the purpose of encouraging readers to defeat Microsoft's licensing
   restrictions. The author and O'Reilly & Associates recommend that
   readers carefully review the terms of Microsoft's NT license agreement
   and comply in all respects therewith.

   For additional technical details, see the article "Six in One, Half
   Dozen in the Other? Inside the Difference Between Windows NT
   Workstation and Windows NT Server" in the Fall 1996 issue of The NT
   Insider..."

--Jerry Leslie   (my opinions are strictly my own)

what is VMS advanced Server

Post by Paul Stu » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:06:04

> :
> : FWIW, workstation/server is not much of a distinction even in Windows.
> : It was said that NT 4.0 could be installed as NT Server from the
> : workstation CD if you knew how to twiddle certain things. Also, the
> : server CD contains server-side elements that were lacking on the
> : workstation CD.
> :

> Here's an article that goes into more detail, including NT 4.0 having
> a common kernel between NT Workstation and NT Server:

>    ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/windows/win95.update/ntnodiff.html
>    Minimal NT Server/Workstation Differences

>   "Differences Between NT Server and Workstation are Minimal

>    Registry Settings Used to Force Use of Microsoft Web Server

>    This page updated November 14, 1996

>    Andrew Schulman
>    Senior Editor, O'Reilly & Associates

>    Much of the research discussed in this article was done by NT
>    Internals expert Dr. Mark Russinovich, a Consulting Associate for Open

                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:>    System Resources, Inc. Russinovich is coauthor of numerous NT systems
>    utilities, such as the NT registry monitor, the NT file monitor, and
>    the NTFS file system for DOS. OSR specializes in file system, device
>    driver, and data communications consulting, training, and development
>    for Windows NT and other platforms. Neither Dr. Russinovich nor OSR
>    are responsible for the conclusions drawn in this article.

For those needing to run NT systems, Mark's site at

        www.sysinternals.com

is an excellent source of information, with some rather handy utilities.

what is VMS advanced Server

Post by Neil Riec » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:11:12

Quote:> Advanced Server for OpenVMS is the name of the SMB file and print server
> that runs on VMS (in other words, its a Windows NT/2000 compatible file and
> print server).  It used to be known as PATHWORKS for OpenVMS.

> Brad McCusker
> OpenVMS Engineering

A colleague at the OpenVMS symposium in Ottawa told me that anyone who has
purchased an Alpha system within the past couple of years will probably have a
licence PAK for this product but not know it (PWLMXXXCA07.03). I checked my
files and discovered two! I just installed the product on my AS-DS20 and am
really
impressed with the performance as well as the product's ability to co-exist
with OpenVMS 7.3-1

Neil Rieck
Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.