Automated Weekly Backups

Post by Chris_F_Chi.. » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 03:04:00

Hello all...

   I want to automate my VMS machine's weekly Full Backup, ideally by having
a batch job run BACKUP (after appropriate checks for tape drive availability,
etc.).  However, I don't have a tape medium available that will hold the
whole system on ONE tape; I have to switch tapes at least once, although not
usually more than twice.  The current level of "prototype Automated Backup:
command procedure I've been writing, sets privileges and does a DEFINE/USER
SYS$INPUT _OPA0: and the same for SYS$OUTPUT, before running the actual
BACKUP command; will this be sufficient to let me, at the OPA0: terminal,
give the appropriate responses when BACKUP asks for a tape change?  Or am
I attempting the impossible (" multi-tape backup in BATCH mode ") ?  Is
there a way I've missed, to get operator interaction in the MIDDLE of
BACKUP?  (I imagine BACKUP *could*, but probably DOESN'T, detect that it is
running in BATCH mode, and issue REQUEST/REPLY-like operator requests in
that event.  Is there any way to MAKE it do this?)

   Thanks in advance for any assistance; e-mail please, even if you post
here too.

    Chris Chiesa

1. Special: Automate your backups using a 16/32 GB DAT Library

Special: Automate your backups using a 16/32 GB DAT Library

Seagate 4mm 32/96 GB DAT Mini Library (DEC TLZ7L Equivalent)  Price: $1200
Acorn Software Branches, OpenVMS robot control and library management
software  Price: $1200

Seagate 4586NP - Internal mount, SCSI-2, 5.25 inch full height form factor.
4-cartridge tape magazine included (32 GB), optional 12-cartridge tape
magazine (96 GB); additional $ 120
o 810 KB transfer rate (compressed) and unattended backup of 1.5 GB per
hour
o DDS-2 format provides a native per cartridge capacity of 4 GB and 8 GB
compressed
o Read and write DDS, DDS-DC and DDS-2 media
o Optional standalone external table top enclosure: additional $ 260
o All equipment is new

Acorn Software Branches for OpenVMS platforms.

Transparent integration for tape libraries with mass storage management and
backups on both standalone and clustered systems.
o Automatic tracking and management of data volumes with the library
o Lights-out backup
o unassisted volume locating and mounting (no operator)
o Optional 12-months of Branches software maintenance; additional $295

For on-line quotations, please visit Acorn's Web page at:

http://www.acornsw.com/webroot/specials.stml

SCSI Cable 3 ft centronix male to male: $ 76

FOB: Boston, MA.  Delivery: 2 days ARO.  Sales tax is charged for all
orders placed in
Massachusetts. Specials are subject to availability; quantities are limited
and are sold on
a first come, first served basis.

For additional information call 617-242-3646, AcerSoft Corporation

2. How show message in status bar when page laods

3. Automated BACKUPS

4. SCA in the UK

5. automating stand alone backup

6. SSI pages ask for a username and password (was: Problems with Web Server on on Win2K Svr)

7. Automating Standalone Backup

8. Event Viewer DNS Error: 5781

9. Weekly reboots...

10. $2,000, $4,000 WEEKLY INCOME

11. Computer Weekly do it again - Delta Time patch.

12. Computer Weekly article, 20th February 1997.

13. Dibol - VMS job (weekly posting)