Alpha / VMS performance books - any recommendations?

Alpha / VMS performance books - any recommendations?

Post by John Lukin » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the FAQ sites - but there're not exactly what I'm looking for.
Does anybody have a favorite Alpha / VMS performance book that you would
recommend?
                Thanks
                John Lukins

Alpha / VMS performance books - any recommendations?

Post by Chuc » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have had good luck with James Coburn's OpenVMS Performance Management,
published by CBM Books (215) 957-1500  ISBN 1-878956-40-X.

It will not do all of your thinking for you, but it gives some pretty good
tips and techniques.

Chuck Shipman
DCS/Professional Services Group

Alpha / VMS performance books - any recommendations?

Post by Gregor Watso » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I use "OpenVMS performance management rules of thumb" by Joginder Sethi

ISBN 0 9523342 0 8

Gregor Watson

Alpha / VMS performance books - any recommendations?

Post by Lawrence Ble » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I own "OpenVMS Performance Management: Tuning Techniques for OpenVMS VAX and
OpenVMS AXP, 2nd Edition" by James W. Coburn.

ISBN 1 878956 40 X

Note: This edition is c 1994, so it may be a bit out of date.  Check to see if
there's a more recent edition.

Lawrence Bleau
University of Maryland
Physics Dept., Space Physics Group
301-405-6223

Alpha / VMS performance books - any recommendations?

Post by Bill Norto » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I see at Amazon.com that this was published in 1995 -- does it have much
useful Alpha information in it?

Post by Bob Kapl » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I own "OpenVMS Performance Management: Tuning Techniques for OpenVMS VAX and
> OpenVMS AXP, 2nd Edition" by James W. Coburn.

> ISBN 1 878956 40 X

> Note: This edition is c 1994, so it may be a bit out of date.  Check to see if
> there's a more recent edition.

I was less than impressed with this book overall.

Check out VAXcluster principles by Roy Davis, and High Performance Cluster
Configuration System Management by Gursha. Both are from Digital PRess /
Butterworth Heinemann

        Bob Kaplow

1. asking recommendations of Vax C books

As I was browsing my favorite bookstore, I saw a book called Vax Fortran.
It was a compact introduction to Fortran and to using Vax system services.
Is there such a thing for Vax C?  DEC's manuals have the information all
right and are such darn riveting reading, but I was hoping to benefit from
some wizard's hard-won wisdom at the same time I'm learning my way around
VMS.

In my mail box today was an ad for a course, "Programming for Performance".
It refers to the best method of file allocation, why you should avoid using
the file system as a librarian, reducing resource use when communicating
between CPUs, design techniques that improve memory management, etc., etc.
Can anyone suggest a book (or books) for this, too?

Thanks.

2. WANTED: A SPEECH DATABASE

3. Performance issues - recommendations?

4. Shove It puzzle game?

5. Not being published: OpenVMS Performance Management book ed 2 .

6. MAPPER "Y" Parameter for 39Rx

7. Not being published: OpenVMS Performance Management book ed 2.

8. MSPaint Illegal Operation

9. Searching for DEC Performance Books

10. X window recommendations for Alpha

11. Open VMS 7.1 on alpha 2100 - performance

12. MATLAB Performance on Alpha 500au/VMS