Satellite switching boot nodes in multiple boot node LAVC

Satellite switching boot nodes in multiple boot node LAVC

Post by W. Todd Wipk » Thu, 15 Aug 1991 07:10:29

Hello LAVC gurus, I need your help:

Given: LAVC consisting of boot nodes A and B and satellites X and Y.
       A and B are vax 11/750s with identical system disks except for
       nodeid, and similar node specific files.

       Satellite X boots from A
       Satellite Y boots from B

Now,   Boot node A goes down.  Satellite X is as a result hung and can't
       reboot from A which is down.

Desired result: Dynamic reconfiguration so when X reboots, B answers the
       call because A doesn't.  I.e., X should boot from A, but if A is
       down, boot from B; Y should boot from B, but if B is down, boot from
       A.  Is it possible to achieve this result without a system manager
       running cluster_config at the time of failure??

Todd Wipke

Satellite switching boot nodes in multiple boot node LAVC

Post by David L. Cathey, SYS » Thu, 15 Aug 1991 20:38:12

Quote:> Hello LAVC gurus, I need your help:

> Given: LAVC consisting of boot nodes A and B and satellites X and Y.
>        A and B are vax 11/750s with identical system disks except for
>        nodeid, and similar node specific files.

>        Satellite X boots from A
>        Satellite Y boots from B

> Now,   Boot node A goes down.  Satellite X is as a result hung and can't
>        reboot from A which is down.

> Desired result: Dynamic reconfiguration so when X reboots, B answers the
>        call because A doesn't.  I.e., X should boot from A, but if A is
>        down, boot from B; Y should boot from B, but if B is down, boot from
>        A.  Is it possible to achieve this result without a system manager
>        running cluster_config at the time of failure??

        Is your NETNODES_REMOTE.DAT file in SYS$SPECIFIC?  I would expect
that any eligible boot node should reailize that they can boot from A or B,
it just depends on which one answers first.

        Make sure that the information for the nodes (MCR NCP SHOW NODE
<nodename> CHAR) matches on both boot nodes, and update those items that
aren't there.

> Todd Wipke

Don't blame me!  I voted for Bill and   |UUCP: ...!texsun!montagar!davidc
Opus for President!  Ack!  Thhrrptt!    |Fone: (214)-618-2117

Post by Eschew Obfuscati » Sat, 17 Aug 1991 07:12:39

> Hello LAVC gurus, I need your help:

> Given: LAVC consisting of boot nodes A and B and satellites X and Y.
>        A and B are vax 11/750s with identical system disks except for
>        nodeid, and similar node specific files.

>        Satellite X boots from A
>        Satellite Y boots from B

> Now,   Boot node A goes down.  Satellite X is as a result hung and can't
>        reboot from A which is down.

> Desired result: Dynamic reconfiguration so when X reboots, B answers the
>        call because A doesn't.  I.e., X should boot from A, but if A is
>        down, boot from B; Y should boot from B, but if B is down, boot from
>        A.  Is it possible to achieve this result without a system manager
>        running cluster_config at the time of failure??

Quote:>       Is your NETNODES_REMOTE.DAT file in SYS$SPECIFIC?  I would expect
>that any eligible boot node should reailize that they can boot from A or B,
>it just depends on which one answers first.

>       Make sure that the information for the nodes (MCR NCP SHOW NODE
><nodename> CHAR) matches on both boot nodes, and update those items that
>aren't there.

It appears to me that David's reply is incorrect because Todd says satellite X
hangs when 'A' goes down.  This implies that A doesn't just service the MOM
request from X when the boot process starts, but it also serves X's system
disk.  Todd says he has 2 system disks which are 'identical'.  Well, identical
perhaps, but different...  If X uses a non-HSC disk which mounts locally to A,
then there is no way around the problem.

  _,_/|
  \o.O;    Ack!
 =(___)=
Harvey Brydon         | SLB DECnet: ASL::BRYDON
Schlumberger Anadrill | Phase V:    %RMS-F-RTB, record exceeds 65535 byte limit

Sugar Land, TX        | FAX:        (713)274-8399
 77478 USA            | Telex:      1565030001 SINET ASL SLB
  Sol 3               | P.O.T.S.:   (713)274-8000 x8281 or 274-8281 (d.i.d.)
        Real programmers can't spell "keesh"

1. Changing workstation boot node when boot node fails

Given: vax 750 A with system disk DUA0
       vax 750 B with system disk DUA4
       workstation X boots off B normally (others boot off A)
       Boot node B now fails

Question: Is it possible to set things up so that when B fails, X
       can reboot and be served by A ?  I.e., boot from B if B is up,
       else boot from A.
LAVC with A connected to DUA0; B connected to DUA4; DUA0 and DUA4 are
identical except for local node decnet addr and node name.  Thanks.

2. Bug in documentation

3. Multiple boot nodes in LAVC and autoswitch over

4. Motorola Sysop program?

5. boot a satellite node

6. Controls disappearing in VS.NET

7. Making a boot node into a satellite?

8. Driver development on MacOS?

9. boot node --> satellite "gotcha's" ???

10. Quorum problems in a LAVC with two boot nodes

11. MOP/DECnet/VMS-Problem: Terminal does not boot when a node is switched on

12. Switching boot nodes/system disks