Linker and sharable images under VAXC

Post by Bill Par » Thu, 31 Oct 1991 12:15:41

>separated by commas.  The problem is that I want to create an executable
>to move to another VMS machine that doesn't have VAXC.  I believe that
>in order to do this I need to create an executable image using the
>object library (i.e.  VAXCRTL.OLB) not the sharable image (i.e.
>VAXCRTL.EXE).  However, no matter how I try, I cannot get the linker to

VAXCRTL.EXE and .OLB are part of the standard VMS Kit.  Most language
runtime libraries are included there (unless someone has specifically
deleted them from the target system).

Therefor, it is legitimate to link as you would on the machine you
are compiling on (and save the extra disk space fore someone else }8-)} )

Bill Parke
VMS Development                 decwrl!star.enet.dec.com!parke

110 Spit Brook Road ZK03-2/Y05, Nashua NH 03063

The views expressed are my own.

1. Linker and sharable images under VAXC

Hello networlders:

I'm having a problem with linking a C program compiled with VAXC 3.1
under VMS 5.4.  My link command (which is in a .COM file) looks like:

$  link/exec = most  'files',sys$input/opt
SYS$LIBRARY:VAXCRTL/SHARE

Where the symbol 'files' is all of the filenames (without extensions)
separated by commas.  The problem is that I want to create an executable
to move to another VMS machine that doesn't have VAXC.  I believe that
in order to do this I need to create an executable image using the
object library (i.e.  VAXCRTL.OLB) not the sharable image (i.e.
VAXCRTL.EXE).  However, no matter how I try, I cannot get the linker to
link using the object library.  I have tried both of the following (and
variations using the extension OLB) and they all result in multiple link
errors saying something to the effect of duplicate module found in
VAXCRTL.EXE.

$  link/exec = most  'files',sys$input/opt
SYS$LIBRARY:VAXCRTL/LIB

$  link/exec = most  'files',SYS$LIBRARY:VAXCRTL/LIB

I thought the problem was the sys$input/opt since there is an
SYS$SYSTEM:VAXCRTL.OPT that says SYS$LIBRARY:VAXCRTL/SHARE, but the
second command above should have fixed that.  There is obviously
something about the linker that I don't understand.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barry Goldfarb

P.S.  Please don't tell me to RTFM, I'm not a system manager and I don't
      have a set of FM's :-(
--

LTV Missiles Division; P.O. Box 65003; Dallas, TX 75265-0003; M/S MM-74
Phone (U.S.) (214) 266-7661

2. Invitation to an Internet/Webgame

3. Linking DECC program to VAXC compiled sharable images

4. Congress attached anto Spam to bill;

5. alpha linker & vaxc$get_sdc()

6. VBX/OCX Reader for DXF and other CAD formats

7. accessing sharable fortran image from IDL

8. I have the Oracle 9i database, now how can the tools connect to it?

9. Protected sharable images in C

10. Sharable Images and C++

11. ident mismatch with sharable image!

12. Debugging sharable images