Help required - Configure NFS server (VMS) and NFS Client (Unix/NT)

Help required - Configure NFS server (VMS) and NFS Client (Unix/NT)

Post by Shiv » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to access a VMS Disk on my NT machine thru NFS, but i'm unable to
succeed in it.

NFS Server : VMS machine running OS ver 7.2
Client    : WinNT M/c running Hummingbird NFS Maestro Solo
            : Sun Solaris 2.6

I did the following on the VMS box

ADD MAP "<unix_Style_dir_name>" <VMS_disk_or_directory>
ADD export "<unix_Style_dir_name>" /host=*
ADD proxy <vms_username> /uid=<vms_uid> /gid=<vms_gid> /host=*
/nfs=(outgoing,incoming)

The exported dir/disk is visible in the Windows explorer of PC (NT m/c). When
i try to access it, i get an authentication error. The same applies with the
Solaris client too, when i try to nfs_mount it

I'll appreciate any inputs/suggestions/documents regarding this. (pointer to
step by step action for an NFS server setup on VMS will be great)

Get back to me if further info's reqd.

TIA,
Shiv

  Sivakumar.Thangavelu.vcf
1K Download

Help required - Configure NFS server (VMS) and NFS Client (Unix/NT)

Post by Matt Muggeridg » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:06:34

You need to take a look in your log file for the errors.  They are usually
very suggestive of the problem.

Take a look in: sys$sysdevice:[tcpip$nfs]tcpip$nfs_<hostname>_logfile.log

Other obvious things to check are that it is enabled and running.  TCPIP
SHOW SERV.  You should see NFS, PORTMAPPER, and PCNFS services in the
ENABLED state.

Matt.

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm trying to access a VMS Disk on my NT machine thru NFS, but i'm unable
> succeed in it.

> NFS Server : VMS machine running OS ver 7.2
> Client    : WinNT M/c running Hummingbird NFS Maestro Solo
>             : Sun Solaris 2.6

> I did the following on the VMS box

> ADD MAP "<unix_Style_dir_name>" <VMS_disk_or_directory>
> ADD export "<unix_Style_dir_name>" /host=*
> ADD proxy <vms_username> /uid=<vms_uid> /gid=<vms_gid> /host=*
> /nfs=(outgoing,incoming)

> The exported dir/disk is visible in the Windows explorer of PC (NT m/c).
When
> i try to access it, i get an authentication error. The same applies with
the
> Solaris client too, when i try to nfs_mount it

> I'll appreciate any inputs/suggestions/documents regarding this. (pointer
> step by step action for an NFS server setup on VMS will be great)

> Get back to me if further info's reqd.

> TIA,
> Shiv

Help required - Configure NFS server (VMS) and NFS Client (Unix/NT)

Post by Shiv » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I'm not finding any log file or the tcpip$nfs directory in sys$sysdevice. Is
there a way to enable logs ?

It seems that i was missing the proxy entry for the user "nobody" & "root".
Also in my setup here, the authentication mechanism is pretty complex.
username/passwd is from the NIS server, nfs authentication (thru hclnfsd) is
done on a different server and i'm trying to nfs mount the exported drives on a
NT box, which has its own domain server for authentication. This all, leaving
apart the VMS box completely :-)

I'm now able to do the client side nfs_mount, but still have some teething
trouble with security/authentication (Thanks to one excellent article from our
Digital's (now Compaq's) archive sent by "Martin Vorlaender"

Many thanks,
Shiv

> You need to take a look in your log file for the errors.  They are usually
> very suggestive of the problem.

> Take a look in: sys$sysdevice:[tcpip$nfs]tcpip$nfs_<hostname>_logfile.log

> Other obvious things to check are that it is enabled and running.  TCPIP
> SHOW SERV.  You should see NFS, PORTMAPPER, and PCNFS services in the
> ENABLED state.

> Matt.

> > Hi,

> > I'm trying to access a VMS Disk on my NT machine thru NFS, but i'm unable
> > succeed in it.

> > NFS Server : VMS machine running OS ver 7.2
> > Client    : WinNT M/c running Hummingbird NFS Maestro Solo
> >             : Sun Solaris 2.6

> > I did the following on the VMS box

> > ADD MAP "<unix_Style_dir_name>" <VMS_disk_or_directory>
> > ADD export "<unix_Style_dir_name>" /host=*
> > ADD proxy <vms_username> /uid=<vms_uid> /gid=<vms_gid> /host=*
> > /nfs=(outgoing,incoming)

> > The exported dir/disk is visible in the Windows explorer of PC (NT m/c).
> When
> > i try to access it, i get an authentication error. The same applies with
> the
> > Solaris client too, when i try to nfs_mount it

> > I'll appreciate any inputs/suggestions/documents regarding this. (pointer
> > step by step action for an NFS server setup on VMS will be great)

> > Get back to me if further info's reqd.

> > TIA,
> > Shiv

  Sivakumar.Thangavelu.vcf
1K Download

Help required - Configure NFS server (VMS) and NFS Client (Unix/NT)

Post by Matt Muggeridg » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 05:01:09

Quote:> I'm not finding any log file or the tcpip$nfs directory in sys$sysdevice.
Is
> there a way to enable logs ?

Take a look at the output from: TCPIP SHOW SERV NFS/FULL

The lines with "Log Opts" describes what will be logged, and the "File" is
*suggestive* of where the log file will be placed, but note that you could
move this around with suitable use of logicals, (I believe).  If you still
can't find it, my next step would be to pull out the sledgehammer and issue
a recursive directory search.  (Anyone know a better way?)

Matt.