Queue manager file size question

Post by GH » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 01:44:17

  I have a uVAX 3100 running VMS 7.1.  The qman$journal file has grown to
over 1 gb in size, and is slowly consuming the system disk.  Is this normal,
or is there a convenient way to truncate this file periodically?

Post by Paul Stu » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:07:51

>   I have a uVAX 3100 running VMS 7.1.  The qman$journal file has grown to
> over 1 gb in size, and is slowly consuming the system disk.  Is this normal,
> or is there a convenient way to truncate this file periodically?

$ RUN SYS$SYSTEM:JBC$COMMAND
JBC$COMMAND>DIAGNOSTIC 7

Control returns to the command prompt and your problem should be fixed.
IIRC there's an ECO available which fixes this.

If you are not in the position to apply the ECO, or it's not convenient
to do so at the moment, you can run the above commands periodically in
the meantime.

--
Paul Sture

Queue manager file size question

Post by Tom Linde » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:22:40

The statement implies that the system disk is larger than 1GByte
Not allowed on this system (unless you have reburnt ROMs)

---

Queue manager file size question

Post by GH » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 04:08:29

It's a 2gb disk.

> The statement implies that the system disk is larger than 1GByte
> Not allowed on this system (unless you have reburnt ROMs)

Post by GH » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 04:12:24

That did the trick.  I got back over 2 million blocks.

Thanks!

Post by John Santo » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:02:45

> The statement implies that the system disk is larger than 1GByte
> Not allowed on this system (unless you have reburnt ROMs)

This depends on which model of uVAX 3100 it is!

Is it a VAXStation 3100?  Way bad to have disks bigger than 1GB.

MicroVAX 3100 model 10 or 20?  Also bad, no upgraded PROMs.

MicroVAX 3100 model 10e or 20e?  Console VMB before V6.4 is
bad, but PROM upgrades were available, at least at one time.

Other MicroVAX 3100 models are fine.

See the Fine FAQ.

John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
781-861-0670 ext 539

Post by Arne Vajh? » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:57:39

 >   I have a uVAX 3100 running VMS 7.1.  The qman$journal file has grown to
 > over 1 gb in size, and is slowly consuming the system disk.  Is this
normal,
 > or is there a convenient way to truncate this file periodically?

$ MCR JBC$COMMAND
    JBC$COMMAND> DIAGNOSTIC 7
    JBC$COMMAND> CTRL/Z

Arne

1. Performance of VMS V5.5-2 new queue manager with MANY queues

   We have a mixed interconnect cluster with multiple system disks running
VAX VMS A5.5-2.  Two CI attached 7610; another CI attached 7610 and 6510;
MicroVAX 3100-90; MicroVAX 3100-10e.  The big boxes are also connected to
each via FDDI.  Each 'group' has it's own system disk (4 in total).
   We need to upgrade to the new queue manager in V5.5-2 but we have
somewhere around 1100-1200 queues, of which about 50 are batch queues and
the rest are print queues.  DON'T ASK.  The MicroVAXs have only a couple
dozen queues between the two of them.  So, we have 4 queue managers in the
cluster at the moment.  When we convert to the new queue manager, we'll have
to go to one consolidated cluster-wide queue manager, right?  With this many
queues, are we going to have troubles?  Does anyone else have a similar
situation?
   Note that we want to go to VAX VMS V6.1 shortly thereafter.

Brian Reimer
Health Sciences Centre

2. URLs for bibtex?

3. Shrinking queue file alloc. size

4. font/widget question

5. Reading files being written - how does Queue Manager do it?

6. cd\ cmd in a .bat file in win95 on OS/2 LAN

7. Reducing queue file size

8. Q: Is the lfb simulated or always hardware implemented?

9. Queue manager journal file bug in VMS 6.2?

10. Size of queue database journal file

11. Queue Manager/Journal file problem

12. Help: Problems FTPing Files - File Triples in Size

13. Finding total file size of all files modified since backup.