$brkthruw from a symbiont returns SS$_DEVOFFLINE

$brkthruw from a symbiont returns SS$_DEVOFFLINE

Post by Gale » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:57:05

I have a bit of C code to write a breakthru message to a specified
user. It looks something like this:

    #include <brkdef.h>
    $DESCRIPTOR(msg_desc, "Here is a breakthru message");
    $DESCRIPTOR(user_desc, "SYSTEM");
    unsigned short io_status_block[4];
    status = sys$brkthruw(0,
                          &msg_desc,
                          &user_desc,
                          BRK$C_USERNAME,
                          &io_status_block,
                          0,0,
                          BRK$C_QUEUE,
                          5,
                          0,0);

(any errors in this snippet are probably due to inaccurate
transcription as I copied it by hand.)

This works as expected if executed from within a typical interactive
program, even a detached process.

If executed from a symbiont, though, the I/O status block gets an I/O
status of SS$_DEVOFFLINE.

Can someone tell me what's happening and how I might get around it?

$brkthruw from a symbiont returns SS$_DEVOFFLINE

Post by Phillip Helbi » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:46:48

Quote:> I have a bit of C code to write a breakthru message to a specified
> user. It looks something like this:

> This works as expected if executed from within a typical interactive
> program, even a detached process.

> If executed from a symbiont, though, the I/O status block gets an I/O
> status of SS$_DEVOFFLINE.

> Can someone tell me what's happening and how I might get around it?

I've seen something similar.  I think there is a bug in VMS which has
been fixed in a newer version.  What version are you running?

Post by Gale » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:40:19

> > I have a bit of C code to write a breakthru message to a specified
> > user. It looks something like this:

> > This works as expected if executed from within a typical interactive
> > program, even a detached process.

> > If executed from a symbiont, though, the I/O status block gets an I/O
> > status of SS$_DEVOFFLINE.

> > Can someone tell me what's happening and how I might get around it?

> I've seen something similar.  I think there is a bug in VMS which has
> been fixed in a newer version.  What version are you running?

OpenVMS V7.3-1, about as current as it gets for now unless there's an
ECO we're missing (there are several out that we haven't installed but
none ring a bell regarding this).

$brkthruw from a symbiont returns SS$_DEVOFFLINE

Post by Phillip Helbi » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:46:37

Quote:> OpenVMS V7.3-1, about as current as it gets for now unless there's an
> ECO we're missing (there are several out that we haven't installed but
> none ring a bell regarding this).

IIRC, the problem was introduced by a patch and corrected with a further
patch.  So just install all patches and you'll be OK.  :-)

Post by Gale » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:52:06

> > OpenVMS V7.3-1, about as current as it gets for now unless there's an
> > ECO we're missing (there are several out that we haven't installed but
> > none ring a bell regarding this).

> IIRC, the problem was introduced by a patch and corrected with a further
> patch.  So just install all patches and you'll be OK.  :-)

The V7.3 SYS ECO V2 and V3 both deal with a problem with
BRKTHRU/BRKTHRUW but I already had V3 installed before I stumbled on
this problem. I don't see a V4 out there yet...

I did install virtually all the other ECOs this morning without
improving things. (If I left any out, they're only needed to support
hardware I don't have, and I even put in several of those. For
example, I'm using an AlphaStation 400/233 but I put in IIDRIVER and a
couple of EV7-related patches anyway).

Post by Gale » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:08:18

> > > OpenVMS V7.3-1, about as current as it gets for now unless there's an
> > > ECO we're missing (there are several out that we haven't installed but
> > > none ring a bell regarding this).

> > IIRC, the problem was introduced by a patch and corrected with a further
> > patch.  So just install all patches and you'll be OK.  :-)

> The V7.3 SYS ECO V2 and V3 both deal with a problem with
> BRKTHRU/BRKTHRUW but I already had V3 installed before I stumbled on
> this problem. I don't see a V4 out there yet...

> I did install virtually all the other ECOs this morning without
> improving things. (If I left any out, they're only needed to support
> hardware I don't have, and I even put in several of those. For
> example, I'm using an AlphaStation 400/233 but I put in IIDRIVER and a
> couple of EV7-related patches anyway).

The mystery deepens.

A little closer checking revealed that, since the patches I applied
this morning, the $BRKTHRUW with BRK$C_USERNAME from a symbiont works
as intended PROVIDED that the target username's UIC is [1,4].
Otherwise it gives SS$_DEVOFFLINE as before.

$brkthruw from a symbiont returns SS$_DEVOFFLINE

Post by Hoff Hoffm » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:45:28

  There's not enough source code included here to be certain...

:If executed from a symbiont, though, the I/O status block gets an I/O
:status of SS$_DEVOFFLINE.

  There might be a terminal involved somewhere that is XOFF'd or that
  has broadcasts disabled or such, or the username is not uppercased.

:Can someone tell me what's happening and how I might get around it?

  The broadcast didn't get everywhere, and you can check the IOSB to
  see how many places it did get to and how many it did not get to.

  Visit the AskQ site (see the FAQ) for the following support article:

    Example-C SYS$BRKTHRUW Using BRK$C_USERNAME Send Type
    STARS Unique Id: KS2-VMS000000-00150-01

 ---------------------------- #include <rtfaq.h> -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
 --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
        Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman   OpenVMS Engineering   hoff[at]hp.com

Post by Gale » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:44:22

> > > IIRC, the problem was introduced by a patch and corrected with a further
> > > patch.  So just install all patches and you'll be OK.  :-)

> > The V7.3 SYS ECO V2 and V3 both deal with a problem with
> > BRKTHRU/BRKTHRUW but I already had V3 installed before I stumbled on
> > this problem. I don't see a V4 out there yet...

> > I did install virtually all the other ECOs this morning without
> > improving things. (If I left any out, they're only needed to support
> > hardware I don't have, and I even put in several of those. For
> > example, I'm using an AlphaStation 400/233 but I put in IIDRIVER and a
> > couple of EV7-related patches anyway).

> The mystery deepens.

> A little closer checking revealed that, since the patches I applied
> this morning, the $BRKTHRUW with BRK$C_USERNAME from a symbiont works
> as intended PROVIDED that the target username's UIC is [1,4].
> Otherwise it gives SS$_DEVOFFLINE as before.

I don't know what has changed since last time I ran my symbiont--I
haven't rebooted or installed any patches, or changed my code--but it
now works. Obviously I changed something somewhere, but I can't tell
what.

Well, at least it works now...