remote xterminal/server

Post by Christo Todoro » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
We using ALPHA with VMS 7.x and IP/TCP protocol

Is there a possibility to run remote xterminal on PC or Linux/UNIX computer
with xserver

Christo Todorov

remote xterminal/server

Post by JOHN MALMBER » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Christo Todorov <christot at mobikom.bg> writes:

Quote:>We using ALPHA with VMS 7.x and IP/TCP protocol

>Is there a possibility to run remote xterminal on PC or Linux/UNIX computer
>with xserver

If your ALPHA has the DECWINDOWS-MOTIF product installed, then the answer is
YES.
-John

remote xterminal/server

Post by Hans Bachn » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

11:46:56 +0200:

Quote:>Hi,
>We using ALPHA with VMS 7.x and IP/TCP protocol

>Is there a possibility to run remote xterminal on PC or Linux/UNIX computer
>with xserver

Sure.

Simple way:
Telnet into the Alpha from your PC / Linux box. Type
$ SET DISPLAY /CREATE /NODE=name-of-pc /TRANSPORT=TCPIP
and then invoke the program of choice, which might be a terminal
window ($ CREATE /TERMINAL /DETACH), DECwindows Mail ($ RUN
SYS$SYSTEM:DECW$MAIL) or whatever application you desire.

Sophisticated, but easy to use way (at least, once everything is set
up): copy some host support files to the Alpha - they usually come
with your X Server, like eXcursion, Reflection etc.) and set up the
desired application invocations on the PC.

Thinks to care about:
the second solution described above requires the r-commands configured
on UCX (rsh/rexec). Some packages use telnet.

Make sure that the X Server on the PC has appropriate security set, or
security disabled at all.

You may also need to add/activate the TCPIP transport in your
SYS$MANAGER:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM file. I'm not sure at the
moment if it's required for the VMS-based X Server only (as the name
of the command file would suggest) or if you require it for the
clients as well.

remote xterminal/server

Post by Nigel Bark » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>> Sure.

>> Simple way:
>> Telnet into the Alpha from your PC / Linux box. Type
>> $ SET DISPLAY /CREATE /NODE=name-of-pc /TRANSPORT=TCPIP
>--cut--

>When I try this I get a warning message:
>%SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHDEV, no such device available

It means that your Motif/DECwindows hasn't been started & you actually have no
WSAn device.

Check that noone has un commented out the line DEFINE DECW$IGNORE_DECWINDOWS
TRUE which stops DECwindows starting in SYS$STARTUP_SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM. If there
is some other error that is preventing DECwindows from starting then there
should be evidence in the file SYS$MANAGER:DECW$SERVER_0_ERROR.LOG

--
Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azure

remote xterminal/server

Post by Martin Vorlaend » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

: > Sure.
: >
: > Simple way:
: > Telnet into the Alpha from your PC / Linux box. Type
: > $ SET DISPLAY /CREATE /NODE=name-of-pc /TRANSPORT=TCPIP
: --cut--
:
: When I try this I get a warning message:
: %SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHDEV, no such device available
:
: And I can't display anything on my pc.
: (I don't have security enabled on my x-server)
:
: This is also down to only one specific machine.
:
: I've got 10 others that works just fine.
:
: ???

First of all, you do need TCP/IP on the VMS machine [1].

Next, edit SYS$MANAGER:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM (if it doesn't
exist, copy from the .TEMPLATE of the same name). Find the line saying

  $ DECW$SERVER_TRANSPORTS == "..."

and add (comma-separated) "TCPIP" to that list. If that assignment doesn't
exist, add it in the "Cluster common..." part as

  $ DECW$SERVER_TRANSPORTS == "TCPIP,DECNET,TCPIP"

Next, restart the DECwindows system (Caution! This will kill all clients!) by

Then the above $SET DISPLAY command should work.

cu,
  Martin

[1] With Process Software's TCPware, DECwindows support must explicitely
    be configured. With DEC TCP/IP Services, not. Don't know about others.
--
                        | Martin Vorlaender | VMS & WNT programmer

 Microsoft wants        |       http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/

remote xterminal/server

Post by Hans Bachn » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>> $ SET DISPLAY /CREATE /NODE=name-of-pc /TRANSPORT=TCPIP
>--cut--

>When I try this I get a warning message:
>%SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHDEV, no such device available

Is DECwindows started during system startup? I.e. do you have
WINDOW_SYSTEM defined in your SYS$SYSTEM:MODPARAMS.DAT and if so, to
which value? (Or check it with $ MC SYSGEN SHOW WINDOW_SYSTEM - it
should be 1, but 2 is also acceptable).

remote xterminal/server

Post by Martin Vorlaend » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

: <SNIP>
: >   $ DECW$SERVER_TRANSPORTS == "TCPIP,DECNET,TCPIP"

Oops. Just noticed that. Should of course have read

   $ DECW$SERVER_TRANSPORTS == "LOCAL,DECNET,TCPIP"
                                ^^^^^

cu,
  Martin
--
                        | Martin Vorlaender | VMS & WNT programmer

 Microsoft wants        |       http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/

1. remote xterminal/server

I can not reproduce the warning message on systems with DECWindows-MOTIF 1.2-3
or 1.2-4 installed, even when specifying a non-existant transport or remote
node.

Please verify that DECWindows-MOTIF is correctly installed.

The WINDOW_SYSTEM parameter should be 0 for systems with out workstation
hardware.  It will have no effect on the problem.

Setting it to one will disable OPCOM to OPA0: on some version combinations of
DECWindows-Motif and OpenVMS as it will cause the system to expect to display
the messages in an operator window.

IIRC: There is a bug in one or more versions of DECWindows-MOTIF that will
cause AUTOGEN to set the WINDOW_SYSTEM parameter to non-zero incorrectly on
systems with out display hardware.

Only applicable to displaying windows from a remote system on VMS Workstation
hardware.

None of that is used when displaying a VMS X-CLIENT such as a DECTerm on a
remote LINUX or other workstation as in the case of the post.

-John

2. Selectable endianess

3. Old DECwindows to a remote X11 display server?

4. *Wedging* on Agfa Accuset

5. Remote terminal server connections

6. Lint for DJGPP

7. VMS/Rdb remote access via SQL server & ODBC performance

8. User Defined Fields and Date Formats

9. setting the X DISPLAY for a remote x server on a tcp/ip network

10. Old DECwindows to a remote X11 display server?

11. Resetting remote print servers...

12. ZT (remote tape server) for some UNIXes