Recommendations for Win2K Pro NFS client for use with TCPIP V5.1 NFS server

Recommendations for Win2K Pro NFS client for use with TCPIP V5.1 NFS server

Post by Rich Jord » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:47:22

We just spent a lovely 3 days trying to get microsoft 'services for
unix, V3.0' to provide a usable NFS client on both NT4.0sp6a and
W2Ksp2 systems.  The server is a DS10, VMS V7.2-1 (fully patched),
TCPIP V5.1eco4.  We're able to mount the filesystems exported by the
Alpha on a separate VMS system so we know the server is OK, but the
string of problems with the MS client just killed it as an option.

We are not willing to put pathworks on the Alpha (or Samba) for other
reasons, and only one PC running a particular service needs to share
disk space with the Alpha.

I've located several different vendors, and some recommendations, but
didn't see any specific recommendations here in COV.  Can anyone
recommend a fairly self contained (doesn't need active directory,
doesn't need windows name mapping, doesn't need NIS, comes with all
you need to make Win2K an NFS client for VMS 7.2-1/TCPIP V5.1, and not
too much other un-necessary fluff)?

Thanks

Rich Jordan
CCS

Recommendations for Win2K Pro NFS client for use with TCPIP V5.1 NFS server

Post by Matt Muggeridg » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:17:07

Two that I am familiar with are NFS Maestro from Hummingbird,

     http://www.hummingbird.com/products/nc/nfs/index.html

and another is WRQ Reflections

     http://www.wrq.com/products/reflection/pc_unix/rnfs/

I am curious what sort of snags you ran into with MS Services for UNIX.  I
had planned to one day give it a go.

Matt.

OpenVMS TCP/IP Engineering
Enterprise Computing Group
Hewlett-Packard Company
Gold Coast, AUSTRALIA

Quote:> We just spent a lovely 3 days trying to get microsoft 'services for

Post by Rich Jord » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 02:51:49

> Two that I am familiar with are NFS Maestro from Hummingbird,

>      http://www.hummingbird.com/products/nc/nfs/index.html

> and another is WRQ Reflections

>      http://www.wrq.com/products/reflection/pc_unix/rnfs/

> I am curious what sort of snags you ran into with MS Services for UNIX.  I
> had planned to one day give it a go.

> Matt.

> --
> OpenVMS TCP/IP Engineering
> Enterprise Computing Group
> Hewlett-Packard Company
> Gold Coast, AUSTRALIA

Matt,
     we downloaded Hummingbird maestro Solo eval and Netmanage
Interdrive to try.  Hummingbird was immediately able to see the NFS
service being offered (which is farther than the MS product got) but
we're still having authentication problems.  Either I'm missing
something on setting up the proxies or PCNFS (running ont he Alpha)
isn't doing what its supposed to do.  The PCNFS logfile keeps showing
'no such user' messages even when we do in fact have a proxy in place
for that username (and even created a VMS account to match in
testing); the info in the TCPIP docs on PCNFS is pretty skimpy.

     MS SFU 3.0 has lead to a need to rebuild the two NT4.0
workstations after its removal.  It wanted SP6a (fine), then it wanted
the 'active directory client' (we are not running active directory
here, but fine...), then it wanted an additional patch (loaded), after
which the NFS server on the Alpha never saw it again.  We went by
provided examples to configure the user mapping, PCNFS, and NFS
client.  The PC recognized our Alpha as an NFS server but could never
see a service being offered (which our VAX running TCPware connected
to perfectly).  Any attempt to open or connect or map or mount the
service on the alpha got a 'network name not found' error.  Gave up on
the NT systems, deinstalled SFU, and now both are wonky and
unreliable, so need to be redone.

We then moved to a W2K Pro system.  There the install was much
cleaner, and the configuration seemed to work properly, but we had the
same problem; the Alpha couldn't see that PC even trying to connect,
and the PC kept saying 'network name not found' on any attempt.

We verified the host file on the PCs (there is no internal DNS/NIS on
our NAT'ted network), triple checked the net; normal (Telnet/Ping/FTP)
communications worked to the Alpha), tried the PC both in and out of
the NT domain, tried it with multiple usernames, including creating a
simple mapping (NT username = VMS username), all with no results.
There was nothing on the MS support sites that matched the problems we
were seeing.

I hope you don't mind if I ask a config question.... or maybe someone
else has gotten a PC working in this environment:

Using the hummingbird client and TCPIP V5.1eco4 NFS and PCNFS servers,
we have the following:

VMS:

TCPIP> show export
File System                             Host name

/vfs/track                              *

TCPIP> show map     ! (This is also set in configuration)
            Dynamic Filesystem Map
Pathname                                Logical File System

/vfs                                    FALCON$DKA200:

TCPIP> show proxy

VMS User_name     Type      User_ID    Group_ID   Host_name

TRACK             OND             1         333   *

The VMS account TRACK is UIC [333,1], home directory
FALCON$DKA200:[TRACK] owned by [333,1], with full access to that
directory and test files created in it.  We can't add "Administrator"
to the proxy database due to its length.  No 'default' access is set
up.

The PC has been tested with both a TRACK username and the
ADMINISTRATOR username, both fail with the following messages
(respectively):

rpc.pcnfsd: proxy database error 229c on VMS user track

rpc.pcnfsd: no such VMS user as Administrator

Thanks for any assistance.  I'll keep pounding the manuals.

Rich Jordan

Recommendations for Win2K Pro NFS client for use with TCPIP V5.1 NFS server

Post by Matt Muggeridg » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 06:50:09

Quote:>Either I'm missing
> something on setting up the proxies or PCNFS (running ont he Alpha)
> isn't doing what its supposed to do.  The PCNFS logfile keeps showing
> 'no such user' messages even when we do in fact have a proxy in place
> for that username (and even created a VMS account to match in
> testing); the info in the TCPIP docs on PCNFS is pretty skimpy.

Your config looks good.  I would also like to see the output from TCPIP SHOW
SERVICE.

Also, turn on REPLY/ENABLE to capture any events that may be helpful.

After enabling NFS and PCNFS via TCPIP$CONFIG, I follow 3 steps:

    1) Map the VMS disk to a UNIX-like name
            $ tcpip map "/data" DKB100:
    2) Add export files
            $ tcpip add export "/data/common" /host=* /options=(....)
    3) Add proxy entries
            $ tcpip add proxy MEONVMS /uid=123/gid=10/host=*

Your output shows you have done this.

Now from your PC running Hummingbird you must supply the username and
password for the account MEONVMS.  PCNFS gets involved and performs a proxy
lookup, mapping your validated account to UID=123/GID=10.  The NFS Maestro
client will now communicate with the NFS Server using UID=123/GID=10.  The
NFS server maps this UID/GID pair to the account MEONVMS.

Quote:> rpc.pcnfsd: proxy database error 229c on VMS user track

> rpc.pcnfsd: no such VMS user as Administrator

$ exit %x229C
%SYSTEM-F-WRONGNAME, local node name must match SCSNODE

I'm not sure under what circumstances this error occurs.  Does it give you
any hints?

If you haven't already tried restarting TCP/IP on VMS, then that might be
worth it.

Also, thanks for the info on MS SFU.  One day I will try XP PRO to see if I
can get it working.

Matt.

OpenVMS TCP/IP Engineering
Enterprise Computing Group
Hewlett-Packard Company
Gold Coast, AUSTRALIA

Quote:> > Two that I am familiar with are NFS Maestro from Hummingbird,

> [...]

> TCPIP> show proxy

> VMS User_name     Type      User_ID    Group_ID   Host_name

> TRACK             OND             1         333   *

> The VMS account TRACK is UIC [333,1], home directory
> FALCON$DKA200:[TRACK] owned by [333,1], with full access to that
> directory and test files created in it.  We can't add "Administrator"
> to the proxy database due to its length.  No 'default' access is set
> up.

> The PC has been tested with both a TRACK username and the
> ADMINISTRATOR username, both fail with the following messages
> (respectively):

> rpc.pcnfsd: proxy database error 229c on VMS user track

> rpc.pcnfsd: no such VMS user as Administrator

> Thanks for any assistance.  I'll keep pounding the manuals.

> Rich Jordan

Recommendations for Win2K Pro NFS client for use with TCPIP V5.1 NFS server

Post by Rich Jorda » Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:50:56

Matt,
      I had to manually clean out some cruft that did not deinstall from
the MS SFU package and reboot the PC; the event logs showed SFU messages
even after it was deinstalled.  I also restarted TCPIP completely (not
just NFS and PCNFS) but didn't reboot the Alpha.  After that the
Hummingbird client loaded up properly, requested the VMS
username/password, and connected.  We were then able to use the
connection manager in Hummingbird (sorry, I forget what its called but
it is a menu item) and set up an automatically restored connection.
Everything is working perfectly now.  Lets hear it for quality third
party products :)

Rich

> [...]

>>Pathname                                Logical File System

>>/vfs                                    FALCON$DKA200:

>>TCPIP> show proxy

>>VMS User_name     Type      User_ID    Group_ID   Host_name

>>TRACK             OND             1         333   *

>>The VMS account TRACK is UIC [333,1], home directory
>>FALCON$DKA200:[TRACK] owned by [333,1], with full access to that
>>directory and test files created in it.  We can't add "Administrator"
>>to the proxy database due to its length.  No 'default' access is set
>>up.

>>The PC has been tested with both a TRACK username and the
>>ADMINISTRATOR username, both fail with the following messages
>>(respectively):

>>rpc.pcnfsd: proxy database error 229c on VMS user track

>>rpc.pcnfsd: no such VMS user as Administrator

>>Thanks for any assistance.  I'll keep pounding the manuals.

1. Recommendations for Win2K Pro NFS client for use with TCPIP V 5.1 NFS server

I've found  that NetManage's Chameleon UNIXLink 97 has worked very well
on WinNT 4.0 and Win2000 against OpenVMS 7.1 through 7.3-1 and Multinet
4.3a through 4.4 with use of ACLs on exports.  Most other NFS clients I have
worked with, did not work with ACLs on exports.

Netmanage is at www.netmanage.com . I believe UNIXLink 97 is one of their
older products with limited support, but a well working one in my hands.

Perhaps Chameleon UNIXLink 97 would work with TCPIP V5.1eco4.  I am
fairly certain NetManage would provide eval copy.

:) jck
John Koska

2. Remove Unknown Device

3. Q: UCX NFS Client and Multinet NFS Server w/ NFS group defined

4. Replacing library functions

5. Help required - Configure NFS server (VMS) and NFS Client (Unix/NT)

6. Structured game-rule language

7. UCX : can NFS client choose to mount over tcp or udp depending upon the NFS server ?

8. TCPIP NFS server and windows-NT / W2000 client

9. Vax/VMS nfs client using UCX to SUN Solaris server...

10. Mounting UNIX NFS file system on UCX NFS client

11. TCPIP v5.0A & NFS & ODS-5