GNV and ODS-5

Post by Bradford J. Hamilt » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:17:07

Folks,

The subject line says it all.  I attempted to install GNV on my hobbyist
Alpha (V7.3-1).  The install failed with the following message:

%PCSI-E-OPENIN, error opening DISK$RABBIT_0731:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][GNV.SRC.GNV.BZI
P2]BZIP2^.1.PREFORMATTED;* as input
-RMS-E-FND, ACP file or directory lookup failed
-SYSTEM-W-BADFILEVER, bad file version number

I'm assuming that because the filename referenced contains two "dots", that
ODS-5 is a prerequisite, even though it is not listed at the hp website as
such:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/opensource/gnvreadme_first.html

Anyone know if I need ODS-5?  Anyone have any problems using ODS-5?  I recall
that I had problems restoring an incremental backup on an ODS-5 disk a year
or so ago, when I was "testing" ODS-5.

GNV and ODS-5

Post by John E. Malmber » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:44:36

> Anyone know if I need ODS-5?  Anyone have any problems using ODS-5?  I recall
> that I had problems restoring an incremental backup on an ODS-5 disk a year
> or so ago, when I was "testing" ODS-5.

I am not sure that it works on ODS-5 either.

It is a known issue and is expected to be fixed in a future kit.

When the next kit shows up on the web site, I recommend doing a product
remove of the old GNV kit before doing a PRODUCT INSTALL instead of
installing over, otherwise you may see errors as it tries to remove the
non-existant files.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

GNV and ODS-5

Post by David Beatt » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:20:09

    We have GNV V1.3-5 installed on an ODS-2 system disk on V7.3-1.
However, we don't have BZIP2 on there.  What version are you
installing?

David R. Beatty

>Folks,

>The subject line says it all.  I attempted to install GNV on my hobbyist
>Alpha (V7.3-1).  The install failed with the following message:

>%PCSI-E-OPENIN, error opening DISK$RABBIT_0731:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][GNV.SRC.GNV.BZI
>P2]BZIP2^.1.PREFORMATTED;* as input
>-RMS-E-FND, ACP file or directory lookup failed
>-SYSTEM-W-BADFILEVER, bad file version number

>I'm assuming that because the filename referenced contains two "dots", that
>ODS-5 is a prerequisite, even though it is not listed at the hp website as
>such:

>http://h71000.www7.hp.com/opensource/gnvreadme_first.html

>Anyone know if I need ODS-5?  Anyone have any problems using ODS-5?  I recall
>that I had problems restoring an incremental backup on an ODS-5 disk a year
>or so ago, when I was "testing" ODS-5.

GNV and ODS-5

Post by Bradford J. Hamilt » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:37:08

Quote:

>    We have GNV V1.3-5 installed on an ODS-2 system disk on V7.3-1.
>However, we don't have BZIP2 on there.  What version are you
>installing?

This is the "latest and greatest" on the hp web site, V1.4-10:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/opensource/opensource.html#gnv

Quote:

>David R. Beatty

Bradford J. Hamilton                    "All opinions are my own"
bMradAhamiPltSon-at-atMtAbi.cPoSm       "Lose the MAPS, and replace

GNV and ODS-5

Post by Thomas H. Paul » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:51:43

Did you ty a $ SET PROCESS/PARSE=EXT ??

Thomas

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:17:07 GMT, Bradford J. Hamilton

--
Thomas H. Pauli
Hammersteinstr. 19

GNV and ODS-5

Post by David Beatt » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:32:34

>>    We have GNV V1.3-5 installed on an ODS-2 system disk on V7.3-1.
>>However, we don't have BZIP2 on there.  What version are you
>>installing?

>This is the "latest and greatest" on the hp web site, V1.4-10:
>http://h71000.www7.hp.com/opensource/opensource.html#gnv

>>David R. Beatty

>Bradford J. Hamilton                        "All opinions are my own"
>bMradAhamiPltSon-at-atMtAbi.cPoSm   "Lose the MAPS, and replace

    The one we are using is on the Open Source V1.0 CD (June 2002).

David R. Beatty

GNV and ODS-5

Post by Bradford J. Hamilt » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:59:54

Quote:>Did you ty a $ SET PROCESS/PARSE=EXT ??

I've been doing a little reading; it *looks* as though I can run that way
without causing damage - perhaps I'll try it soon, *after* I get a good backup
of the system disk.     :-)

I'm keeping John's caustion in mind, as well; if the risks are too great, I may
just wait for the "fix", instead.

Quote:>--

Post by John Santo » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:05:51

> >    We have GNV V1.3-5 installed on an ODS-2 system disk on V7.3-1.
> >However, we don't have BZIP2 on there.  What version are you
> >installing?

> This is the "latest and greatest" on the hp web site, V1.4-10:
> http://h71000.www7.hp.com/opensource/opensource.html#gnv

I installed GMV 1.4-10 (from the web site) on two systems on 30Mar.
Didn't have any problems.  Both system disks are ODS-5 with hardlink
support.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

GNV and ODS-5

Post by Steve Pitche » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:13:37

All,

Thanks for your interest in GNV.  Sorry I didn't notice this posting
earlier.

The error you've reported regarding BZIP2.1.PREFORMATTED is in fact very
minor.  The installation procedure recommends terminating the installation.
Please tell it to proceed!  Immediately, you'll see the same error regarding
a second file, also in [.BZIP].  Again, tell it to proceed.

These errors are indeed due to the multiple dots in the filenames.  However,
you'll see errors similar to these, even on ODS-5... though I believe only
when you're removing or re-installing GNV.  The problem here isn't ODS-5,
but the installation procedure itself.

I hope to release a new GNV kit within the next few days.  This new kit will
resolve this problem.  Though as mentioned above, you'll see these two
errors one last time, when its removing the previous kit.  The new kit in
fact contains many files with multiple dots.  A feature of the new kit is an
implementation of MAN, and the man page files all contain multiple dots...
one contains three dots.  So I've had to fix the installation to cleanly
deal with these files.

However, starting with this new kit, ODS-5 is a requirement.  I suspect you
may be able to install on ODS-2, with lots of these errors, but it'll work
cleanly on ODS-5.  I don't like requiring ODS-5, and I'll see if I can
eliminate this requirement in the future.  I'd be happy to accept feedback
on this requirement.

I believe that there are cons to using ODS-5.  These are exclusively in the
area of compatibility with VAX and older versions of OpenVMS/Alpha.  If
these are not a concern, then I believe there's no reason not to go to
ODS-5.  To upgrade your system disk from ODS-2 to ODS-5, you'll need to
either boot an alternate system disk, or boot the VMS installation CD, and
use $ SET VOLUME/STRUCTURE=5.  Anyone working with UNIX compatible
applications probably wants to use ODS-5.

- stp (Steve Pitcher/HP OpenVMS Engineering)

1. Convert from ODS-2 to ODS-5

What are the benefits and gotcha's of converting from ODS-2 to ODS-5 on a
VMS 7.3-1 system with Samba VMS 2.2.4 running.  Also, how is it done.  The
VMS 7.3-1 upgrade offered to do this for our system drive, but not for our
data drives, so we didn't do it.

Thanks in Advance,
Mike Ober.

2. Least Slack Time Algorithm

3. Converting an ODS-2 to an ODS-5 file system disk

4. can't open Windows Explorer

5. %BACKUP-F-CLUSTER on ODS-5 disks

6. NDPS in NW5.1

7. ANN: Updated VMSTAR available (ODS-5 support)

8. Delivering Job on Disk

9. Duplicate File Issues (Was: Re: ODS-5 anybody using - any problems ?)

10. Logical names, DECnet, default disks, ODS-5

11. ODS-5 and Pwrk$Root

12. ODS-5 goodies

13. ODS-5