XAX/VMS on the Internet

Post by thor.. » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am running a vax dumb terminal using OpenVMS6.2 with a
VT320 terminal.

We have an internet server and can send and receive e-mail though the
inernet, as well, I can telnet to my ISP.

What I would like to know is what command would I use to actually access
the internet from my work server?

I am guess I will only have text access, fine, I have that now, but
telnetting tends to slow.

Steve

--
Ramblins curtesy of The Edge Magazine
http://www.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca/~thornes

XAX/VMS on the Internet

Post by Arne Vajhoe » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am running a vax dumb terminal using OpenVMS6.2 with a
> VT320 terminal.

> We have an internet server and can send and receive e-mail though the
> inernet, as well, I can telnet to my ISP.

> What I would like to know is what command would I use to actually access
> the internet from my work server?

> I am guess I will only have text access, fine, I have that now, but
> telnetting tends to slow.

I think you want the Lynx WWW-browser. It is a great browser. Runs fine
on VMS and a VT320 ternminal. And even though it is a text-based
browser, then it has a lot of HTML > 2.0 features. It is ofcourse
also amazingly fast.

You can get it gopher://gopher.wfbr.edu/11/_fileserv/_lynx or
ftp://ftp.hhs.dk/fote_mirror/.

                                                          Arne

Arne Vajh?j                             local DECNET:  KOPC::ARNE
Computer Department                     PSI:           PSI%23831001354030::ARNE

                WWW URL: http://www.hhs.dk/~arne/arne.html

XAX/VMS on the Internet

Post by Stephen Hoff Hoffm » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

:
:I am running a vax dumb terminal using OpenVMS6.2 with a
:VT320 terminal.
:
:We have an internet server and can send and receive e-mail though the
:inernet, as well, I can telnet to my ISP.

  There's no single thing you can point to and say `That is the
  Internet', unless you're one the experts on the nightly TV news.
  In other words, you're on the Internet now.  Congradulations.  :-)

:What I would like to know is what command would I use to actually access
:the internet from my work server?

  As for specific commands, you'll want to check with the local system
  manager, and if that's you, you'll want to check in the documentation
  for the package(s) you've purchased.  (I don't intend this to sound
  rude -- this part of the question is exceedingly site-specific, and
  it would appear you already understand the generic `use telnet' part.)

:I am guess I will only have text access, fine, I have that now, but
:telnetting tends to slow.

  If telnet is slow, this points to an underconfigured `pipe', or some
  sort of communications problem.

  As for tools for OpenVMS, the Internet Product Suite CD-ROM is around
  and orderable for a small charge -- it contains Internet-related OpenVMS
  freeware and seperately-licensed commercial software packages.

  -------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------

   <Headers deliberately munged to avoid automated junkmail -- the spam-bots.>
    OpenVMS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): http://www.openvms.digital.com

XAX/VMS on the Internet

Post by Alfred Fa » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I am running a vax dumb terminal using OpenVMS6.2 with a
>VT320 terminal.

>We have an internet server and can send and receive e-mail though the
>inernet, as well, I can telnet to my ISP.

>What I would like to know is what command would I use to actually access
>the internet from my work server?

>I am guess I will only have text access, fine, I have that now, but
>telnetting tends to slow.

Get a copy of LYNX.  It is a character-cell Web browser.

Information Systems Dept          (403) 450-5185            R E S E A R C H
Box 8330, Station F                                           C O U N C I L
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6H 5X2
http://saturn.arc.ab.ca/~falk/                     http://www.arc.ab.ca/