Tracing EXE -> OBJ -> SRC modules

Post by Tom Linde » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:25:23

ANAL/IMAGE will tell me which linker was used to link the OBJ, but how do
I uniquely determine which object module was used?

ANAL/OBJ will tel me which compiler was used, but how do I determine which
source module was used?

Assume there are no log files.  IOW, given only an image can you determine
the OBJ and SRC modules?
---

Tracing EXE -> OBJ -> SRC modules

Post by Steve Lione » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:20:45

>ANAL/IMAGE will tell me which linker was used to link the OBJ, but how do
>I uniquely determine which object module was used?

>ANAL/OBJ will tel me which compiler was used, but how do I determine which
>source module was used?

>Assume there are no log files.  IOW, given only an image can you determine
>the OBJ and SRC modules?

Only if the program was compiled and linked /DEBUG.  Otherwise, no.

Steve

Tracing EXE -> OBJ -> SRC modules

Post by John Reaga » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 04:18:21

> ANAL/IMAGE will tell me which linker was used to link the OBJ, but how do
> I uniquely determine which object module was used?

The link map.

Quote:

> ANAL/OBJ will tel me which compiler was used, but how do I determine which
> source module was used?

The listing file.

Quote:

> Assume there are no log files.  IOW, given only an image can you determine
> the OBJ and SRC modules?

You cannot.

Now that I've said that, if the source was compiled with /DEBUG and
linked with /DEBUG, you do have source file locations buried inside the
DSTs.  It doesn't have any object information.

--
John Reagan
Compaq Pascal/{A|I}MACRO Project Leader

Tracing EXE -> OBJ -> SRC modules

Post by Tom Linde » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 04:14:22

It might be nice to add this to the wish list.  IIRC, this is possible
on MVS.

Tom

---

Tracing EXE -> OBJ -> SRC modules

Post by Bob Koehl » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:23:06

> ANAL/IMAGE will tell me which linker was used to link the OBJ, but how do
> I uniquely determine which object module was used?

> ANAL/OBJ will tel me which compiler was used, but how do I determine which
> source module was used?

> Assume there are no log files.  IOW, given only an image can you determine
> the OBJ and SRC modules?

   Some compilers support the ident feature.  Macro and Fortran I'm
   fairly sure of.  This is usefull if you actually change the ident
   sometime.

Tracing EXE -> OBJ -> SRC modules

Post by Dave Weatheral » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:18:28

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:23:06 UTC,

> > ANAL/IMAGE will tell me which linker was used to link the OBJ, but how do
> > I uniquely determine which object module was used?

> > ANAL/OBJ will tel me which compiler was used, but how do I determine which
> > source module was used?

> > Assume there are no log files.  IOW, given only an image can you determine
> > the OBJ and SRC modules?

>    Some compilers support the ident feature.  Macro and Fortran I'm
>    fairly sure of.  This is usefull if you actually change the ident
>    sometime.

This is the technique we use to trace/manage/check changes. Makes it
straighforward to show our Q/A man that the proverbial one line change
in one module is the only difference between one image and another.
Similarly all our objects are in libraries so the idents then become
the only obvious differentiator between versions - unless one wants to
*/OBJ /MHD on all the library modules. I've done that in times of
confusion too.

--
Cheers - Dave.

1. .obj => .txt and .txt => .obj program(s)???

     I'm looking for a program which converts an object file to a text
file and visa-versa.  I'd like a way to be able to mail object modules
to people and it seems I need such a program to do this.  So not only
would I need the program, I'd have to send it out to other people to
compile and use.

     If you have such a program you're willing to part with, please
contact me.

Tony Purmal

2. Off Broadway - Save money, check out our AutoCAD/MAX promotions page

3. MAIL >> SEND >> MAILER!<......> to other networks via WISCVM?

4. Debugger ViewAs Request

5. <<>> COMPUTER SOFTWARE / HARDWARE <<>>

6. FS: Amiga Magazines

7. >>>update: DECC: problem porting VAX->AXP, fopen remote mbx

8. Leading Edge Model "L" series help

9. SMTP->VMS->POP->Eudora->MIME and QP

10. Unexpected <CR> and <FF> after a Setup module of a queue FORM

11. >>>>WIZARD>>> How do read VAX/VMS files on a PC <<<WIZARD<<<<

12. Librarian: 2 modules in 1 input -> 1 module in lib ?