access a saveset from windows or linux

Post by Tim Smi » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:23:43

Is there a utility that can extract one or all files from a saveset on
windows or unix (linux).  I have a number of local saveset backups and
want to pull a file out of it sometimes - but I am remote on my
linux/windows XP laptop.

thanks

Tim

access a saveset from windows or linux

Post by Larry Kilgall » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:45:26

Quote:> Is there a utility that can extract one or all files from a saveset on
> windows or unix (linux).  I have a number of local saveset backups and
> want to pull a file out of it sometimes - but I am remote on my
> linux/windows XP laptop.

Should we presume you already have methods to read VMS files if you
_did_ restore them onto your non-VMS system ?

Post by Hans Vlem » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:30:12

Quote:> Is there a utility that can extract one or all files from a saveset on
> windows or unix (linux).  I have a number of local saveset backups and
> want to pull a file out of it sometimes - but I am remote on my
> linux/windows XP laptop.

> thanks

> Tim

I started work on a Visual C program to read savesets on Windows. Extracting
files in many cases does not make sense. But plain .DAT or .TXT files would
be interesting.
The problem is that the saveset lay out is not published. So you have to
look at a dump and reverse engineer the specs.
Send me an Email if you want the source that I have. It reads the header
info and the filenames.

Hans

PS

remove .nieuw from the email address

Post by Larry Kilgall » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:47:26

> The problem is that the saveset lay out is not published. So you have to
> look at a dump and reverse engineer the specs.

Look at the earlier documentation, VMS V3.* or so.  Subsequent additions
seem to be in a fairly orderly style.

Post by Carl Perki » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:57:00

}

}> Is there a utility that can extract one or all files from a saveset on
}> windows or unix (linux).  I have a number of local saveset backups and
}> want to pull a file out of it sometimes - but I am remote on my
}> linux/windows XP laptop.
}>
}> thanks
}>
}> Tim
}
}I started work on a Visual C program to read savesets on Windows. Extracting
}files in many cases does not make sense. But plain .DAT or .TXT files would
}be interesting.
}The problem is that the saveset lay out is not published. So you have to
}look at a dump and reverse engineer the specs.
}Send me an Email if you want the source that I have. It reads the header
}info and the filenames.
}
}Hans

There is an exsisting program that does this, although I don't know how
recent the latest version is.

It is called, unsurprisingly, vmsbackup. You can find a version of it
here: http://garbo.uwasa.fi/unix/vmsbackup.html

There may be newer versions out there somewhere - I didn't look any farther
than this. Google is your friend. A search on "unix vmsbackup" or something
similar gives many hits.

--- Carl

Post by Stanley F. Quayl » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:42:43

Quote:> Is there a utility that can extract one or all files from a saveset on
> windows or unix (linux).  I have a number of local saveset backups and
> want to pull a file out of it sometimes - but I am remote on my
> linux/windows XP laptop.

I have set up several people with CHARON-VAX as a way to un-backup
their savesets...

[Another Shameless Plug (tm) from a CHARON-VAX reseller...]
--Stan Quayle
Quayle Consulting Inc.

----------
Stanley F. Quayle, P.E. N8SQ  +1 614-868-1363  Fax: +1 614 868-1671
8572 North Spring Ct. NW, Pickerington, OH  43147

1. Access linux and/or windows directories with VMS

Maybe he's seen the FTP /client/ and assumed there's a server there too?
Easy mistaka da mayka.

Shane

OT: Really?  I don't recall *ever* having a version of Weenie-doze with
FTP "built-in" and "turned off!" 8-)  I've *added* an FTP daemon (via
service or application) by installing the Personal Web Server or IIS as
an add-on or using something "3rd party" (shareware), but I've never
seen a FTP server "built-in" to any version of Weenie-doze...  Maybe the
PWS or IIS install is to what you are referring?  (Just checking in case
I missed something; not at all trying to be a smart alec.)

Chris
-----
Chris Olive
Systems Consultant
Raytheon Technical Services Corporation
Indianapolis, IN

email: olivec AT indy DOT raytheon DOT com

2. Delorme Street Atlas 3.0 installation under Warp WINOS/2

3. Access linux and/or windows directories with vms

4. Script To scan/rebuild tables needed...

5. HP's viewpoint on Linux, was: Re: Sun eating major helping of Linux Linux Linux

6. pc-ditto

7. HP equal on UNIX, Windows, Linux middleware - VMS?

8. y2k project

9. Linux has just as many dangerous bugs as Windows!

10. Free VMS DCL emulator for Linux/UNIX/Windows

11. Accessing resources with a Linux machine

12. OpenVMS BACKUP --> Restore in Windows NT / Linux

13. CRN: Capellas: Linux, Windows Will 'Eviscerate' Unix