Information Filtering Tools for openvms

Post by HA.. » Mon, 05 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi!
I am looking for public domain software or literature on information filtering
tools for vms, -i.e. stuff similar to the mail filtering tools for unix.
Thanks

Halim M. Khelalfa
Basic Software Lab.
Cerist, Algiers, Algeria

Post by Peter Prymm » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Hi!
>I am looking for public domain software or literature on information filtering
>tools for vms, -i.e. stuff similar to the mail filtering tools for unix.
>Thanks

>Halim M. Khelalfa
>Basic Software Lab.
>Cerist, Algiers, Algeria

There is a mailfilter written in perl at:

  http://www.ifi.uio.no/~tina/projects/mfilt.html

More information on perl for VMS can be found at:

  http://w4.lns.cornell.edu/~pvhp/perl/VMS.html

Peter Prymmer

Information Filtering Tools for openvms

Post by Glenn C. Everha » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

The Software Tools had many text processing and similar filters. The last
VMS release was the 1987 L&T SIG tape. Also VMS Posix (back on condist now!)
has many such, which can be used from normal DCL if you like...define a
few symbols to do it...

With the addition of pipes to DCL these may become more important.

1. VIP - VMS Information Provider, a powerfull tool for OpenVMS systems

Dear OpenVMS user,

Do you sometimes like to stop a number of processes that all are
running the same image? You can do this with VIP, also cluster wide:

$ VIP SHOW SYSTEM/IMAGE=(*IMAGE_A*,*IMAGE_B*)/ACTION=DELETE

Would you like to receive an alarm message when a process has stopped
and to restart this process in a batch job? You can do this with VIP:

$ VIP MONITOR SYSTEM/ITEM=DELETED/ALARM=(USER=SUPERVISOR,OPERATOR)/SUBMIT=FILE=RESTART.COM

When you enter the command above, a reply message will be displayed on
the screen of user SUPERVISOR and on the operator console when a
process has stopped. Also a batch job will be submitted with file
RESTART.COM and parameter P1 that contains the name of the stopped
process.

Would you like to receive an alarm message when the disk space is
getting low and purge this disk in a batch job? You can do this with
VIP:

$ VIP MONITOR DISK/ITEM=FREE=PERC=10/ALARM=(USER=SYSTEM,OPERATOR)/SUBMIT=FILE=PURGE.COM

When you enter the command above, a reply message will be displayed on
the screen of user SYSTEM and on the operator console when the free
disk space is getting below the 10%. Also a batch job will be
submitted with file PURGE.COM and parameter P1 that contains the name
of the disk.

Would you like to know all locks on a certain resource? You can do
this with VIP:

$ VIP SHOW LOCK/FULL MY$LOCK

Would you like to know all open files of a certain user on all
available disks? You can do this with VIP:

$ VIP SHOW OPEN_FILES/USER=JONES/DEVICE=*

VIP is a cluster-wide monitor and display utility for OpenVMS Alpha
and OpenVMS VAX for processes, quota, working sets, i/o, disks,
pagefaults, eventflags, cpu, logins, open files, locks and cluster
members. You can define alarm conditions or levels which may generate
a message on a terminal screen, on the operator console or send an
e-mail (VMS mail or Internet mail using SMTP) when a condition or a
level has been reached. You also can perform actions on processes like
DELETE PROCESS, SUSPEND PROCESS, RESUME PROCESS and
INCREMENT/DECREMENT/SET PRIORITY. Possible
VIP comands are MONITOR SYSTEM, MONITOR QUOTA, MONITOR WORKING_SET,
MONITOR DISK, MONITOR LOGIN, MONITOR PROCESS (CPU, QUOTA, EVENT_FLAG,
I/O, PAGEFAULT), SHOW SYSTEM, SHOW LOCK, SHOW CLUSTER and SHOW
OPEN_FILES. All command have a wide range of qualifiers to select the
required information for monitoring or display. VIP will continuously
be updated with new functionality.

Go to http://www.momss.nl/vip for additional information and examples.
VIP can be downloaded en used free for 30 days with the included
evaluation license. If you like to continue using VIP after that
period, you will have to purchase a license.

You may ask any question. You will always receive an answer.

With kind regards,

Mom Software Services

Internet: http://www.momss.nl
Fax:      +31 481 377098

2. Opinions RE:Automated Testing Tools

3. OpenVMS Pearl - Friday May 16 - OpenVMS Partner that does host based testing tools

4. Empty mysql.user entries???

5. Virus filters for OpenVMS

6. DNS question

7. OpenVMS Information Center

8. In memory table question and Help!

9. Where to get information about the openVMS/AXP image format?

10. information from an OpenVMS Partner

11. NIS (network information nameservice) in OpenVMS ?

12. OpenVMS information page

13. OpenVMS Management Tools for Windows