DECserver 250 Problems

Post by Brandon Lovelac » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello

I have a DECserver 250 on my network and it has been working great for a
long while, untill recently.

I have one VAX one AXP and one ULTRIX all configured to work with the 250.

For some strange reason over the Christmas Break (I work in a school
environment) they stoped being able to print to the line printer.  I think
it is the 250 but I don't know how to get into the "console" port on it so
I can see what is going on.

The ULTRIX box when trying to print to the line printer which is connected
to the 250 has this error to report when an lpq command is issued

waiting for lp to connect (Can't assign requested address), retrying...

And as for the two OpenVMS box's, they spool one print job, which doesn't
print, and then the queue pauses.

If anyone can help me in this task I will be very thankfull...

please email me a response

-Brandon Lovelace

  Computer Science LTA - Santa Barbara City College

DECserver 250 Problems

Post by Terry Kenned » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> For some strange reason over the Christmas Break (I work in a school
> environment) they stoped being able to print to the line printer.  I think
> it is the 250 but I don't know how to get into the "console" port on it so
> I can see what is going on.

  Do a "NCP CONNECT NODE servername" from the VMS system (assuming Phase IV
DECnet - if you're running Phase V, I haven't a clue). Press return if needed
to get to the # password prompt on the DECserver. The default password is
"ACCESS", but it may have been changed. If it's changed and you don't know
it, you'll have to reset the DECserver to factor defaults by unplugging it,
holding in the red button, and plugging it in. Of course this will also wipe
out the other local customizations (like the queues it serves) so it's the
last thing you want to try when all else fails.

        Terry Kennedy             Operations Manager, Academic Computing

        +1 201 915 9381 (voice)   +1 201 435-3662 (FAX)

1. DECserver 250 Problems - Continued

Well thanks to this new group I was able to connect to the console port on
my 250 and then issue a test port 5 command on the 250 which in turn printed
out on the line printer.

I think I might have accidentally factory defaulted the 250 though.  If I
have print queues set up on two VMS boxs and and ULTRIX box that had no
problem printing before Xmas is there any way I can take the que setup
information and resetup the 250.

Or what should a que look like if I did reset the 250 on a VMS host.

Thanks
- Brandon Lovelace

   Computer Science LTA - Santa Barbara City College

2. Replacement Power Supplies

3. decserver 250

4. Out of memory problem when linking

5. Decserver 250 Y2K compliant?

6. Quadra 660AV: Simm Size Mixing Safe?

7. Printer with Centronics Interface conntected to DECserver 250

8. How to get an scaled image.bmp from a view in MDL.

9. DecServer 250

10. Centronics Parallel printer on Decserver 250???

11. DecServer 250, as print server fails

12. Maximum DECroute 250 on same Ethernet problem

13. Problem: AlphaStation 250 4/266 Won't Boot With VAXCLUSTER.