Problems while debugging a C++ program under OPEN/VMS

Problems while debugging a C++ program under OPEN/VMS

Post by Rolf West » Wed, 08 Jun 1994 02:12:51

Hello,

I have a problem with the debugging of a C++ programm. I am working on
a DEC-300 Alpha Workstation under OPEN/VMS.
The programm looks like this (very simplified):

structure SCAN{
           double a;
           double b;
              };

function(SCAN& s)
{
   s.a = s.b;

Quote:}

main
{
   SCAN sc[100];
   function(sc[1]);

Quote:}

When I examine the variable sc[1].a in the main program I get a result,
when examining the variable s.a in the subprogram "function" I get
the error message:

%DEBUG-W-NOTRECORD, variable is not record; cannot select component a

I would be very appreciative for any help on this problem.
Please post me your reply or send me an e-mail.

Thanks in anticipation
With kind regards

Rolf Wester
Fraunhofer-Institut fr Lasertechnik, Aachen, germany

Post by Jeff Diewa » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 22:58:36

|>Hello,
|>
|>I have a problem with the debugging of a C++ programm. I am working on
|>a DEC-300 Alpha Workstation under OPEN/VMS.
|>The programm looks like this (very simplified):
|>
|>structure SCAN{
|>           double a;
|>           double b;
|>              };
|>
|>function(SCAN& s)
|>{
|>   s.a = s.b;
|>}
|>
|>main
|>{
|>   SCAN sc[100];
|>   function(sc[1]);
|>}
|>
|>When I examine the variable sc[1].a in the main program I get a result,
|>when examining the variable s.a in the subprogram "function" I get
|>the error message:
|>
|>%DEBUG-W-NOTRECORD, variable is not record; cannot select component a
|>
|>I would be very appreciative for any help on this problem.
|>Please post me your reply or send me an e-mail.

Rolf,

   This looks like a bug.  I took your example and, with a little syntax
tweaking, got it to compile on a VAX and on an AXP.  The OpenVMS De*
worked on the VAX.  It gave the error you got on the AXP.  I'll pass it along
to the OpenVMS Debug team for further investigation.  (This may be a problem
in the De* or it may be a problem in the Debug Symbol Table information
generated by the C++ compiler.)
        Jeff Diewald                    EASYNET:   VIRRUS::DIEWALD

        Digital Equipment Corp.

Note: I don't read every article in this group.  If you have de*
questions, I may be able to get you an answer.  You're much more likely to
get an answer if you put "Debug" somewhere in your subject line.

Problems while debugging a C++ program under OPEN/VMS

Post by Allan Engelhardt, CERN, ECP divisi » Wed, 15 Jun 1994 18:15:48

Quote:

>Hello,
[...]
>the error message:

>%DEBUG-W-NOTRECORD, variable is not record; cannot select component a

>I would be very appreciative for any help on this problem.
>Please post me your reply or send me an e-mail.

It works as expected with the 6.1 de*.

        --- Allan.