Why OpenVMS with a silent Open? (Was Re: Why VMS?)

Why OpenVMS with a silent Open? (Was Re: Why VMS?)

Post by sre.. » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Andrew Harrison (andrew dot harrison at uk dot sun dot nospam dot com)

Quote:>The bottom line is that most of the security breaches
>being reported for OpenVMS and UNIX (NT is another story)
>are caused by applications like web servers, mail readers
>IMAP and POP servers, bind etc. There are however a number of
>threats that exploit deficiencies in IP stacks etc.

>There have been at least 3 separate attacks that can deny
>service on OpenVMS by attacking its IP stack in the
>last 18 months. UNIX is no better with most BSD stacks
>being simularly effected. Lest you think that I am
>suggesting that Solaris is better than VMS, I am not.
>Solaris does not have a BSD based IP stack and was not
>effected but we have had NIS+ and bind based attacks as an
>example.

But then if you want to consider denial of service attacks, consider the
alternative answers to other network configurations.  Then again, consider
trying to do anything with the man pages - man is not only a hell of a way
to spell HELP but is also total gibberish when you read it.

Do you know how many Architects it takes to change a light bulb?
8F4327B90 - one to change the buld, two to knock the house down to get to
the socket which the blown bulb is in and the rest to tell you how much
better their house would have been when you bought yours, if only theirs
had been available and didn't use substandard materials which caused it to
fall down when you stood on the ladder to get to the lampshade..........

S.

Why OpenVMS with a silent Open? (Was Re: Why VMS?)

Post by Andreas Fass » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

And how many MS programmers do you need to change a light bulb?
None at all - they just declare darkness as a new standard.
Quote:>Do you know how many Architects it takes to change a light bulb?
>8F4327B90 - one to change the buld, two to knock the house down to get to
>the socket which the blown bulb is in and the rest to tell you how much
>better their house would have been when you bought yours, if only theirs
>had been available and didn't use substandard materials which caused it to
>fall down when you stood on the ladder to get to the lampshade..........

>S.

1. Why Andrew Harrison? Was Re: Why VMS?

cc:
Subject:  Why Andrew Harrison? Was Re: Why VMS?

Typical Andrew, he's economical with the truth, then blames others for
reading what he wrote as if it's supposed to be accurate.

Incidentally, I wonder if the people at this bank who sign his timesheets
know how much of their time he spends working for Sun Marketing, reading
and posting propaganda to this newsgroup? I find myself wondering if this
bank posting even exists. Why would a bank need a Sun marketing person?

Shane

 #####   ---------------------------------------------------------------

#  L  #  ---------------------------------------------------------------
 #===#   Don't blame HealthNet for anything I say. They're innocent.
  ###    Bob Palmer for C.E.O of Microsoft!

2. presentations in latex

3. Why Andrew Harrison? was: Re: Why VMS?

4. More Display Problems With Designer

5. Why am I not getting $PROCESS_SCAN expanded correctly ?

6. SBS 2000 expiration

7. Why are these files open?

8. Impossible

9. Can't open display... Why??

10. Why no OPEN/USER ?

11. Why no OPEN/USER

12. Why dont open online manuals to everybody?

13. OpenVMS 6.1 is much faster then VMS 5.5-2 on the same VAX: WHY?