Reading bookreader files

Post by John Symingt » Tue, 14 Sep 1993 10:42:47

Does anyone know of a way to extract VMS documentation in bookreader format
into plain text (or, alternatively, Postscript) format?  We have a need to
read our CD manual from a variety of different workstations and terminals.

I guess we could write a program to do this, but surely someone else has
had to do this before.

Please relay by E-Mail, as I do not normally read this group.

Thanks,

John

 John Symington                                      Phone  +61 3 885 5829
 Common Sense Computing                              Fax    +61 3 885 0116

Reading bookreader files

Post by Bob Koehl » Tue, 14 Sep 1993 23:11:00

Quote:>Does anyone know of a way to extract VMS documentation in bookreader format
>into plain text (or, alternatively, Postscript) format?  We have a need to
>read our CD manual from a variety of different workstations and terminals.

Install the lastest version of BOOKREADER, which ships on the documentation
CDROM for the VAX version of VMS (I'm still waiting for the Alpha version).
Then you can output to a text printer or a PostScript printer, but not yet
directly to a character cell terminal.  Programs have been written to do this,
but DEC has threatened legal action against the authors.

Bob Koehler                     |   Any illusion to these opinions being other

Reading bookreader files

Post by Wayne Sewe » Wed, 15 Sep 1993 17:39:24

>>Does anyone know of a way to extract VMS documentation in bookreader format
>>into plain text (or, alternatively, Postscript) format?  We have a need to
>>read our CD manual from a variety of different workstations and terminals.

> Install the lastest version of BOOKREADER, which ships on the documentation
> CDROM for the VAX version of VMS (I'm still waiting for the Alpha version).
> Then you can output to a text printer or a PostScript printer, but not yet

                                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:> directly to a character cell terminal.  Programs have been written to do this,

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> but DEC has threatened legal action against the authors.

> Bob Koehler                     |   Any illusion to these opinions being other

Since the new BookReader will generate a plain text file, it's easy enough to
look at with an editor.  Of course, an entire book is a *big* text file, so
small pieces (sysserv.001, sysserv.002, ...) and zip it to reduce the disk
usage.  This makes it very easy to dial into my system from a customer site
and look at my docs without BookReader or Motif.

Of course, even with zip, the entire doc set would take up a lot of space on
magnetic disk.  Remember, the RRD42 can hold 600 meg, and there are three of
them in the OLD (last time I looked).  Of course, most of the docs are fairly
useless to me (I don't need regular WPS-PLUS, much less Dutch WPS-PLUS).

On the other hand, there are several docs that I use all the time: system
services, RTL, RMS, I/O Ref, SDA, etc.  These are the ones I keep in zipped
text form.

Since these are plain text files, it would even be possible to put them on a
MS-DOS floppy and look at them on a notebook computer at the customer site,
elimiating the need to dial into my system.  Of course, I am not sure how DEC's
legal department would feel about that, so I haven't actually done it.

Wayne

Tachyon Software Consulting             |UUCP: uupsi!uupsi6!tachyon!wayne
P. O. Box 550937, Dallas TX  75355-0937 |Voice: (214)-553-9760, Fax: -553-0077
Larry:"Fish is brain food."  Moe:"You need a whale."  (WHACK!!)

Reading bookreader files

Post by Bob Koehl » Sat, 18 Sep 1993 01:12:00

>> Install the lastest version of BOOKREADER, which ships on the documentation
>> CDROM for the VAX version of VMS (I'm still waiting for the Alpha version).
>> Then you can output to a text printer or a PostScript printer, but not yet
>> directly to a character cell terminal.  Programs have been written to do this,

>Since the new BookReader will generate a plain text file, it's easy enough to
>look at with an editor.

Of course.

Bob Koehler                     |   Any illusion to these opinions being other