Bug in MAIL?

Post by Doc.Cyphe » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:34:18

Following is on a v7.2 system...

MAIL> del 2-255

MAIL>  [Exit]
%MAIL-I-RECLPLSWAIT, reclaiming deleted file space.  Please wait...
%LIB-E-ACTIMAGE, error activating image DAHMER$DKA0:[SYS0.][SYSLIB]NCSSHR.EXE;
-RMS-F-CHN, assign channel system service request failed
-NONAME-W-NOMSG, Message number 00000000
%MAIL-E-OPENIN, error opening SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]MAIL.MAI as input
-RMS-F-CHN, assign channel system service request failed
-SYSTEM-F-NOIOCHAN, no I/O channel available
%MAIL-E-FILNOTDEL, error deleting
%MANSON$DKA100:[USERS.DC]MAIL_2060021D_SEND.TMP;*
-RMS-F-CHN, assign channel system service request failed
-SYSTEM-F-NOIOCHAN, no I/O channel available
%MAIL-E-FILNOTDEL, error deleting
%MANSON$DKA100:[USERS.DC]MAIL_2060021D_EDIT.TMP;*
-RMS-F-CHN, assign channel system service request failed
-SYSTEM-F-NOIOCHAN, no I/O channel available

I'm guessing this is a bug in the way MAIL handles cleanup on exit.  It
shouldn't need that many channels.  Can anyone confirm if this is fixed in a
later version?

Doc.
--
OpenVMS.         Eight out of ten hackers prefer *other* operating systems.

Bug in MAIL?

Post by Roy Omon » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:42:17

> Following is on a v7.2 system...

> MAIL> del 2-255

> MAIL>  [Exit] ... [snip] ...
> -RMS-F-CHN, assign channel system service request failed
> -SYSTEM-F-NOIOCHAN, no I/O channel available

> I'm guessing this is a bug in the way MAIL handles cleanup on exit.  It
> shouldn't need that many channels.  Can anyone confirm if this is fixed in a
> later version?

What's the value of your SYSGEN parameter CHANNELCNT ?

Roy Omond
Blue Bubble Ltd.

Bug in MAIL?

Post by Doc.Cyphe » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 06:07:01

>> Following is on a v7.2 system...

>> MAIL> del 2-255

>> MAIL>  [Exit] ... [snip] ...
>> -RMS-F-CHN, assign channel system service request failed
>> -SYSTEM-F-NOIOCHAN, no I/O channel available

>> I'm guessing this is a bug in the way MAIL handles cleanup on exit.  It
>> shouldn't need that many channels.  Can anyone confirm if this is fixed in a
>> later version?

>What's the value of your SYSGEN parameter CHANNELCNT ?

Not my system :)

I guessed there might be a way to tune this out, but what if I do

MAIL> delete 1-1024?

will the problem recur?

Doc.
--

Post by Larry Kilgall » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 06:11:58

>>> Following is on a v7.2 system...

>>> MAIL> del 2-255

>>> MAIL>  [Exit] ... [snip] ...
>>> -RMS-F-CHN, assign channel system service request failed
>>> -SYSTEM-F-NOIOCHAN, no I/O channel available

>>> I'm guessing this is a bug in the way MAIL handles cleanup on exit.  It
>>> shouldn't need that many channels.  Can anyone confirm if this is fixed in a
>>> later version?

>>What's the value of your SYSGEN parameter CHANNELCNT ?

> Not my system :)

        $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETSYI("CHANNELCNT")

Bug in MAIL?

Post by Doc.Cyphe » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:12:57

>>>What's the value of your SYSGEN parameter CHANNELCNT ?

>> Not my system :)

>    $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETSYI("CHANNELCNT")

Thanks!

returned value is 255.

However, since this is dealing with a mailbomb, will it still happen when I
get to

MAIL DEL 1-1024

?

Doc.
--

Post by David Frobl » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:41:42

>>>Not my system :)

>>        $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETSYI("CHANNELCNT")

> Thanks!

> returned value is 255.

> However, since this is dealing with a mailbomb, will it still happen when I
> get to

> MAIL DEL 1-1024

> ?

> Doc.

It may depend upon the messages themselves.  Keep in mind that MAIL stores large
messages in seperate files.  There is where you could get into more channels.

Don't really know how the DELETE works.  I'd think it would handle the messages
one at a time, which should work with any number of messages.

Dave

--
David Froble                       Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      Fax: 724-529-0596

T-Soft, Inc.  170 Grimplin Road  Vanderbilt, PA  15486

Bug in MAIL?

Post by Michael Moron » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:23:04

>%MAIL-E-FILNOTDEL, error deleting
>%MANSON$DKA100:[USERS.DC]MAIL_2060021D_EDIT.TMP;*
>-RMS-F-CHN, assign channel system service request failed
>-SYSTEM-F-NOIOCHAN, no I/O channel available
>I'm guessing this is a bug in the way MAIL handles cleanup on exit.  It
>shouldn't need that many channels.  Can anyone confirm if this is fixed in a
>later version?

If you want to see this fixed (or get an official message saying this has
been fixed) I suggest filing a problem report with HP regarding this.
It looks like a simple coding bug where a channel is assigned to delete
each individual file within MAIL without a corresponding deassign in the
loop through the 255 files.  As mailbombing unfortunately will not be
going away any time soon, it's best this gets taken care of.
--
-Mike

Bug in MAIL?

Post by Doc.Cyphe » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:15:08

>>%MAIL-E-FILNOTDEL, error deleting
>>%MANSON$DKA100:[USERS.DC]MAIL_2060021D_EDIT.TMP;*
>>-RMS-F-CHN, assign channel system service request failed
>>-SYSTEM-F-NOIOCHAN, no I/O channel available

>>I'm guessing this is a bug in the way MAIL handles cleanup on exit.  It
>>shouldn't need that many channels.  Can anyone confirm if this is fixed in a
>>later version?

>If you want to see this fixed (or get an official message saying this has
>been fixed) I suggest filing a problem report with HP regarding this.
>It looks like a simple coding bug where a channel is assigned to delete
>each individual file within MAIL without a corresponding deassign in the
>loop through the 255 files.  As mailbombing unfortunately will not be
>going away any time soon, it's best this gets taken care of.

Too true about the mailbombing.  I took an anti-nausea pill for the cookies
and hit hp.com.  Eventually guessing at security-alert<at>hp<dot>com.

Doc.
--

Post by Nic Clew » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:16:19

> >> Not my system :)

> >       $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETSYI("CHANNELCNT")

> Thanks!

> returned value is 255.

And the FILLM for the process, um [guesses], 300 or greater?

Either reduce the FILLM to 240, or increase CHANNELCNT to FILLM + 15.

This is one of the side effects of CHANNELCNT being too low compared to
FILLM. [NOIOCHAN].
--
Regards, Nic Clews a.k.a. Mr. CP Charges, CSC Computer Sciences
nclews at csc dot com

Bug in MAIL?

Post by Doc.Cyphe » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:36:09

>> >       $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETSYI("CHANNELCNT")

>> Thanks!

>> returned value is 255.

>And the FILLM for the process, um [guesses], 300 or greater?

You've been peeking. :)  Exactly 300.

Quote:>Either reduce the FILLM to 240, or increase CHANNELCNT to FILLM + 15.

>This is one of the side effects of CHANNELCNT being too low compared to
>FILLM. [NOIOCHAN].

Explains why the problem was not observed with the SYSTEM account.  Wish I'd
read that before mailing security-alert, but there is another issue there.

I'll schedule an autogen of the system sometime this week, that should resolve
this and a couple of other niggles.

Doc.
--
OpenVMS.         Eight out of ten hackers prefer *other* operating systems.