HELP/MESSAGE problem under SIMH with OpenVMS VAX 6.2

HELP/MESSAGE problem under SIMH with OpenVMS VAX 6.2

Post by John Santo » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:27:04

Quote:> Hi

> When running SIMH V2.10-4 on Win2K (OpenVMS 6.2), I get the following
> problem:

> If I type

> $ HELP/MESSAGE NOTFOUND

> I get a string of unknown error message errors, i.e.

> Message number 05FD8013
> Message number 05FD8023
> Message number 05FD801B
> Message number 05FD8033
> Message number 05FD801B
> Message number 05FD8043
> Message number 05FD804B
> Message number 05FD801B
> Message number 05FD8053
> Message number 05FD8013
> Message number 05FD800B

> Pressing RETURN and it goes on for a few more pages before dropping me
> at the DCL prompt again.

> But I can't look up those error codes anywhere (HELP
> /MESSAGE/STATUS=%x [error code]  .... doesn't work.

> I haven't applied any sort of OpenVMS ECOs to this system.  It's
> out-of-the-box OpenVMS 6.2/VAX.

Know V6.2 bug.  Apply the ECO's.  (I think one of them fixed it.)
Or grab the MSGHLP$ENGLISH file from V6.1.  Or install a recent VMS.
V6.2 is 8 years old.

Quote:> Running OpenVMS Alpha 6.2-1H3 on a regular AlphaServer 400 or 1000A, I
> don't have this problem.

> Any ideas / ECO suggestions ?

> Perhaps someone out there with SIMH running can see if this happens to
> them also.

Nothing to do with SIMH.

Quote:

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

HELP/MESSAGE problem under SIMH with OpenVMS VAX 6.2

Post by lesl » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:07:49

: Hi
:
[...]

You need the VAX/VMS 6.1 version of MSGHLP$ENGLISH.EXE; the VMS/VAX 6.2
version is broken.

--Jerry Leslie   (my opinions are strictly my own)

Post by Jason Armiste » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:01:19

> > Hi

> > When running SIMH V2.10-4 on Win2K (OpenVMS 6.2), I get the following
> > problem:

> > If I type

> > $ HELP/MESSAGE NOTFOUND

> > I get a string of unknown error message errors, i.e.

> > Message number 05FD8013
> > Message number 05FD8023
> > Message number 05FD801B
> > Message number 05FD8033
> > Message number 05FD801B
> > Message number 05FD8043
> > Message number 05FD804B
> > Message number 05FD801B
> > Message number 05FD8053
> > Message number 05FD8013
> > Message number 05FD800B

> > Pressing RETURN and it goes on for a few more pages before dropping me
> > at the DCL prompt again.

> > But I can't look up those error codes anywhere (HELP
> > /MESSAGE/STATUS=%x [error code]  .... doesn't work.

> > I haven't applied any sort of OpenVMS ECOs to this system.  It's
> > out-of-the-box OpenVMS 6.2/VAX.

> Know V6.2 bug.  Apply the ECO's.  (I think one of them fixed it.)
> Or grab the MSGHLP$ENGLISH file from V6.1.  Or install a recent VMS.
> V6.2 is 8 years old.

How silly of me not to RTFNG (newsgroup) archives before firing this
question off.  I did that almost as soon as I'd hit send, and knew
that someone would point this out to me already.

I couldn't find any reference to an ECO, no even on HP's own OpenVMS
support sites, but did get the V6.1 file OK from a backup I had from
my MicroVAX 2000 (gotta love my first VAX !).

Agree that V6.2 is a bit long in the tooth these days, but it's warm
and familiar, and besides, with SIMH, I really want my PC spending
more time running VAX applications and doing it as fast as possible,
rather than running the latest and greatest VMS 7.3 with no doubt a
bit more OS overhead and thus less performance that VMS 6.2

Post by Carl Perki » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:10:00

}Agree that V6.2 is a bit long in the tooth these days, but it's warm
}and familiar, and besides, with SIMH, I really want my PC spending
}more time running VAX applications and doing it as fast as possible,
}rather than running the latest and greatest VMS 7.3 with no doubt a
}bit more OS overhead and thus less performance that VMS 6.2

You are probably mistaken.

Newer versions of VMS tend to be faster than older versions. They
do also tend to use slightly more memory (or more than just slightly
when you consider file caching), but PC memory is very cheap so that
is not likely to be a problem when using an emulated VAX. It's not
like Windows where each new version needs twice a much as the
previous version and usually runs slower on the same hardware.

--- Carl

Post by Bob Koehl » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:50:26

> Newer versions of VMS tend to be faster than older versions. They
> do also tend to use slightly more memory (or more than just slightly
> when you consider file caching), but PC memory is very cheap so that
> is not likely to be a problem when using an emulated VAX. It's not
> like Windows where each new version needs twice a much as the
> previous version and usually runs slower on the same hardware.

   I take it you never did the 3.6 to 4.0 transition on an 11/780, when
   the overhead for clusters was built into the kernel.

   Fortunatley the Fortran global optimizer was introduced at the same
   time so our systems kept up with their workload after we reompiled
   everything.

1. Problem with HELP/MESSAGE after 6.2 upgrade

After upgrading from VMS 6.1 to 6.2 on a VAX, a client of mine noted
that HELP/MESSAGE no longer worked. I tried the upgrade on my own VAX,
and the same thing happened.

When you type HELP/MESSAGE, the following is displayed:

        Message number 05FD8013
        Message number 05FD8023
        Message number 05FD801B
        Message number 05FD8033
        Message number 05FD801B
        Message number 05FD8043
        Message number 05FD801B
        Message number 05FD8053
        Message number 05FD8013

I presume this means that some message file is missing or damaged. Any
clues? Is this a known problem?

        Triton Software Group Ltd.

2. Create user intermittent error -2147024810 (80070056)

3. Help/Message problem on VMS 6.2

4. Word97 and Word2000 different Visible prop. behavior

5. OpenVMS VAX Version 6.2 DAT Tape Drive Problem

6. Excel Macros: Can they run in the background?

7. UDFSYM message under OpenVMS 6.2 AXP

8. Information Superhighway Conference

9. problems installing openvms on simh

10. Bizarre behavior of mail forward in 6.2, was: Problems after upgrade to 6.2/Alpha

11. Problems with HELP/MESSAGE in VAX VMS V6.2

12. SIMH 2.9-8 (Re: SIMH 2.9-7)

13. HELP !! ESA120000 configuration question for OpenVMS 6.2-1H3