LAT SMG coded application to Telnet-based screen

LAT SMG coded application to Telnet-based screen

Post by L Ar » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:30:57

We have a monitoring system which uses SMG calls and Starlet library
written in Vax Pascal and works over LAT as an application service.
It would be nice if I can change it to a Telnet type application over
the IP network to target the DS90M terminal server.
Is there any site with examples of code for users migrating from
SMG-type VMS system calls for such VT applications to move to Telnet
connections based on QIO stuff ?

As the corporate backbone does not support LAT, we are in a fix and
need to get a reliable way of allowing remote or over the WAN access
to such monitoring screens.
I don't know if Cisco LAT over IP will be robust or fast enough over
such a WAN and the cost of a trial may involve cost equivalent to a
rewrite.

LAT SMG coded application to Telnet-based screen

Post by John Travel » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:50:51

Quote:> We have a monitoring system which uses SMG calls and Starlet library
> written in Vax Pascal and works over LAT as an application service.
> It would be nice if I can change it to a Telnet type application over
> the IP network to target the DS90M terminal server.
> Is there any site with examples of code for users migrating from
> SMG-type VMS system calls for such VT applications to move to Telnet
> connections based on QIO stuff ?

Why do you not re-write it as a web application. That way you effectively
future-proof the application.
I'm sure there are examples of embedded webservers that you can include in
the code. Maybe there are callable interfaces in one of the popular
webservers to use instead of including the server in your own code.

--
John Travell
VMS crashdump expertise for hire

+44-(0)23-92552229
http://www.jomatech.com/

---

Post by Nic Clew » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:54:41

> We have a monitoring system which uses SMG calls and Starlet library
> written in Vax Pascal and works over LAT as an application service.
> It would be nice if I can change it to a Telnet type application over
> the IP network to target the DS90M terminal server.
> Is there any site with examples of code for users migrating from
> SMG-type VMS system calls for such VT applications to move to Telnet
> connections based on QIO stuff ?

> As the corporate backbone does not support LAT, we are in a fix and
> need to get a reliable way of allowing remote or over the WAN access
> to such monitoring screens.
> I don't know if Cisco LAT over IP will be robust or fast enough over
> such a WAN and the cost of a trial may involve cost equivalent to a
> rewrite.

I agree with John that it is a good time to consider a rewrite. You can
move from VAX (assumed from your description) to Alpha, take advantage
of the RTR (reliable Transaction router included in base O/S) and you
have the Retain Trust to protect the investment. Depending, web
enablement may or may not be the right way to go.

The reliability or otherwise of the infrastructure is then not your
concern because you control it in the VMS environment.

While this may appear to cost real money, compare it with what I expect
is a frozen VAX environment with zero cost over multiple years except
for electricity, a little housekeeping and hardware maintenance, the
cost of which may be increasing comparatively.

By your description, they already have the skills in-house (may need a
little additional help) to support an investment which will last for at
least the same number of years and will deliver the same or better
service.

--
Regards, Nic Clews a.k.a. Mr. CP Charges, CSC Computer Sciences
nclews at csc dot com

Post by Bob Koehl » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:18:39

> We have a monitoring system which uses SMG calls and Starlet library
> written in Vax Pascal and works over LAT as an application service.
> It would be nice if I can change it to a Telnet type application over
> the IP network to target the DS90M terminal server.
> Is there any site with examples of code for users migrating from
> SMG-type VMS system calls for such VT applications to move to Telnet
> connections based on QIO stuff ?

   SMG doesn't give a hoot about the connection being direct, LAT,
   TELNET, DECnet, Kermit, Joe's Beanery and Network protocols, ...

   What's you're real problem?  Starting a reverse TELNET session
   instead of a reverse LAT session?

Post by Hans Vlem » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:13:06

Quote:> We have a monitoring system which uses SMG calls and Starlet library
> written in Vax Pascal and works over LAT as an application service.
> It would be nice if I can change it to a Telnet type application over
> the IP network to target the DS90M terminal server.
> Is there any site with examples of code for users migrating from
> SMG-type VMS system calls for such VT applications to move to Telnet
> connections based on QIO stuff ?

> As the corporate backbone does not support LAT, we are in a fix and
> need to get a reliable way of allowing remote or over the WAN access
> to such monitoring screens.
> I don't know if Cisco LAT over IP will be robust or fast enough over
> such a WAN and the cost of a trial may involve cost equivalent to a
> rewrite.

The network protocol is very likely not of any interest to the SMG routines.
SMG uses a pasteboard that derives its capabilities from the terminal
device. The terminal device may be TTA0, LTA0, RTA0, FTA0 or TNA0. If it
behaves like a VT100 or later then that is enough.
It is possible that the software was written with hardcode device names.
Perhaps because reverse lat is used and the LTA device names are fixed. It
is worth trying what happens if you connect with Telnet and use $ DEFINE
TNAx LTAx.

1. RTL Screen Management (SMG$) Coding

Dear All,
        I was wondering if anyone out there knows how to use these
functions(especially menu ones) from with COM files (not Fortran, etc)
since I want to write a user menu interface app in DCL. Any suggestions
or examples would be greatly appreciated.

        Angus

UNIX: The only computer virus with a command-line interface

2. clipped EPS file

3. Wanted: SMG screen library with source code

4. * Newsgroup doc. and 3904 Tips, Tricks, and Registry Hacks - 16-Jul-2001 15:25.13 *

5. Debugging SMG code over LAT

6. Sportster problems

7. Windows Front End to VT Based Applications

8. accuracy of time sync

9. Moving DRV11 based application to Alpha

10. Q: RTL Screen Management (SMG$)

11. Screen Management (SMG$) HELP!

12. Why won't SMG$DELETE_PASTEBOARD clear the screen?

13. SMG vs. windows telnets