Problem with SAN attached SDLT

Post by Dave Baxt » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 06:33:24

Help!

    I have a cluster of ES40's (OVMS 7.3-1, with 7.3-1 Backup V0100
patch applied) connected to an HP SAN (Brocade switches, HSG80's,
etc.) and I use an MSL5026 mini-library connected to the SAN Switch
via an MDR FC/SCSI bridge.     I am not sure what version the Library
is at, however the SDLT is at F/W Version 46.
     The Library/Robot functions fine.    The VMS INIT and MOUNT
command appear to work fine, however when I execute even the most
basic backup command VMS tells me that there are problems with the
label on the tape.   As follows;

MICKEY$SYSMGR>> robot load slot 3 drive 0
MICKEY$SYSMGR>> show dev mga

Device                  Device           Error    Volume        Free
Trans Mnt
Name                   Status           Count     Label        Blocks
Count Cnt
$2$MGA2:      (MICKEY)  Online               1

MICKEY$SYSMGR>> init $2$mga2: test
MICKEY$SYSMGR>> mount/for $2$mga2:
%MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, TEST mounted on _$2$MGA2: (MICKEY)
MICKEY$SYSMGR>> backup/log *.* $2$mga2:save1.bck
%BACKUP-W-MOUNTERR, volume 1 on _$2$MGA2 was not mounted because
its label does not match the one requested

      Has anyone seen a problem like this.     I have tried every
qualifier that I thought might be related without any significant
success.

     This was not a problem when the systems were first installed,
with OVMS 7.3 and Tape firmware Vers 45.    The upgrade to OVMS only
happened last week and the problem predated that (I was hoping that
the VMS upgrade might resolve it.)     I have a suspicion that it
might have started a couple of months ago when the SDLT Firmware was
upgraded to Version 46, although I can't be sure.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Dave Baxter.  :-(

Post by David J. Dachter » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:22:31

> Help!

>     I have a cluster of ES40's (OVMS 7.3-1, with 7.3-1 Backup V0100
> patch applied) connected to an HP SAN (Brocade switches, HSG80's,
> etc.) and I use an MSL5026 mini-library connected to the SAN Switch
> via an MDR FC/SCSI bridge.     I am not sure what version the Library
> is at, however the SDLT is at F/W Version 46.
>      The Library/Robot functions fine.    The VMS INIT and MOUNT
> command appear to work fine, however when I execute even the most
> basic backup command VMS tells me that there are problems with the
> label on the tape.   As follows;

> MICKEY$SYSMGR>> robot load slot 3 drive 0
> MICKEY$SYSMGR>> show dev mga

> Device                  Device           Error    Volume        Free
> Trans Mnt
> Name                   Status           Count     Label        Blocks
> Count Cnt
> $2$MGA2:      (MICKEY)  Online               1

> MICKEY$SYSMGR>> init $2$mga2: test
> MICKEY$SYSMGR>> mount/for $2$mga2:
> %MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, TEST mounted on _$2$MGA2: (MICKEY)
> MICKEY$SYSMGR>> backup/log *.* $2$mga2:save1.bck
> %BACKUP-W-MOUNTERR, volume 1 on _$2$MGA2 was not mounted because
> its label does not match the one requested

>       Has anyone seen a problem like this.     I have tried every
> qualifier that I thought might be related without any significant
> success.

Add /IGNORE=LABEL. It's expecting to find a volume labelled SAVE1, but
you have TEST MOUNTed.

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

Problem with SAN attached SDLT

Post by Jeff Camero » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:00:35

On 6/20/03 2:33 PM, in article

> Help!

>   I have a cluster of ES40's (OVMS 7.3-1, with 7.3-1 Backup V0100
> patch applied) connected to an HP SAN (Brocade switches, HSG80's,
> etc.) and I use an MSL5026 mini-library connected to the SAN Switch
> via an MDR FC/SCSI bridge.     I am not sure what version the Library
> is at, however the SDLT is at F/W Version 46.
>    The Library/Robot functions fine.    The VMS INIT and MOUNT
> command appear to work fine, however when I execute even the most
> basic backup command VMS tells me that there are problems with the
> label on the tape.   As follows;

> MICKEY$SYSMGR>> robot load slot 3 drive 0
> MICKEY$SYSMGR>> show dev mga

> Device                  Device           Error    Volume        Free
> Trans Mnt
> Name                   Status           Count     Label        Blocks
> Count Cnt
> $2$MGA2:      (MICKEY)  Online               1

> MICKEY$SYSMGR>> init $2$mga2: test
> MICKEY$SYSMGR>> mount/for $2$mga2:
> %MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, TEST mounted on _$2$MGA2: (MICKEY)
> MICKEY$SYSMGR>> backup/log *.* $2$mga2:save1.bck
> %BACKUP-W-MOUNTERR, volume 1 on _$2$MGA2 was not mounted because
> its label does not match the one requested

>     Has anyone seen a problem like this.     I have tried every
> qualifier that I thought might be related without any significant
> success.

>    This was not a problem when the systems were first installed,
> with OVMS 7.3 and Tape firmware Vers 45.    The upgrade to OVMS only
> happened last week and the problem predated that (I was hoping that
> the VMS upgrade might resolve it.)     I have a suspicion that it
> might have started a couple of months ago when the SDLT Firmware was
> upgraded to Version 46, although I can't be sure.

> Any help would be gratefully received.

> Dave Baxter.  :-(

 Using the /LABEL=TEST on the backup command will allow the backup to write
to the volume. Normally Backup would want to write to a volume with the same
label as the saveset name.

Post by Dave Baxt » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:42:28

> > Help!

> >     I have a cluster of ES40's (OVMS 7.3-1, with 7.3-1 Backup V0100
> > patch applied) connected to an HP SAN (Brocade switches, HSG80's,
> > etc.) and I use an MSL5026 mini-library connected to the SAN Switch
> > via an MDR FC/SCSI bridge.     I am not sure what version the Library
> > is at, however the SDLT is at F/W Version 46.
> >      The Library/Robot functions fine.    The VMS INIT and MOUNT
> > command appear to work fine, however when I execute even the most
> > basic backup command VMS tells me that there are problems with the
> > label on the tape.   As follows;

> > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> robot load slot 3 drive 0
> > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> show dev mga

> > Device                  Device           Error    Volume        Free
> > Trans Mnt
> > Name                   Status           Count     Label        Blocks
> > Count Cnt
> > $2$MGA2:      (MICKEY)  Online               1

> > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> init $2$mga2: test
> > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> mount/for $2$mga2:
> > %MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, TEST mounted on _$2$MGA2: (MICKEY)
> > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> backup/log *.* $2$mga2:save1.bck
> > %BACKUP-W-MOUNTERR, volume 1 on _$2$MGA2 was not mounted because
> > its label does not match the one requested

> >       Has anyone seen a problem like this.     I have tried every
> > qualifier that I thought might be related without any significant
> > success.

> Add /IGNORE=LABEL. It's expecting to find a volume labelled SAVE1, but
> you have TEST MOUNTed.

Thank you David,
       It kind of surprised me that this worked since this was the the
first thing that I tried after the initial failure.     I realise now
that although the initial failure had dismounted the drive, there was
some internal issue that was persisting which made subsequent attempts
fail.    Today I unloaded and reloaded the tape (using the robot) and
repeated the commands above, (adding the /IGNORE=LABEL qualifier) and
it worked fine.
       My remaining question is this, is it now necessary to always
specify /IGNORE=LABEL or append /LABEL=<label> for the backup to work
from disk to tape.    Or is this something that is required because
the Tape Drive is SAN attached??
       Although with older versions of VMS and on other systems I have
tended to use the /IGNORE=(LABEL,INTERLOCK) as a kind of routine
default qualifier, it isn't clear from the BACKUP help that this is a
requirement

Thanks Dave.

Post by Michael Austi » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:36:30

> > > Help!

> > >     I have a cluster of ES40's (OVMS 7.3-1, with 7.3-1 Backup V0100
> > > patch applied) connected to an HP SAN (Brocade switches, HSG80's,
> > > etc.) and I use an MSL5026 mini-library connected to the SAN Switch
> > > via an MDR FC/SCSI bridge.     I am not sure what version the Library
> > > is at, however the SDLT is at F/W Version 46.
> > >      The Library/Robot functions fine.    The VMS INIT and MOUNT
> > > command appear to work fine, however when I execute even the most
> > > basic backup command VMS tells me that there are problems with the
> > > label on the tape.   As follows;

> > > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> robot load slot 3 drive 0
> > > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> show dev mga

> > > Device                  Device           Error    Volume        Free
> > > Trans Mnt
> > > Name                   Status           Count     Label        Blocks
> > > Count Cnt
> > > $2$MGA2:      (MICKEY)  Online               1

> > > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> init $2$mga2: test
> > > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> mount/for $2$mga2:
> > > %MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, TEST mounted on _$2$MGA2: (MICKEY)
> > > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> backup/log *.* $2$mga2:save1.bck
> > > %BACKUP-W-MOUNTERR, volume 1 on _$2$MGA2 was not mounted because
> > > its label does not match the one requested

> > >       Has anyone seen a problem like this.     I have tried every
> > > qualifier that I thought might be related without any significant
> > > success.

> > Add /IGNORE=LABEL. It's expecting to find a volume labelled SAVE1, but
> > you have TEST MOUNTed.

> Thank you David,
>        It kind of surprised me that this worked since this was the the
> first thing that I tried after the initial failure.     I realise now
> that although the initial failure had dismounted the drive, there was
> some internal issue that was persisting which made subsequent attempts
> fail.    Today I unloaded and reloaded the tape (using the robot) and
> repeated the commands above, (adding the /IGNORE=LABEL qualifier) and
> it worked fine.
>        My remaining question is this, is it now necessary to always
> specify /IGNORE=LABEL or append /LABEL=<label> for the backup to work
> from disk to tape.    Or is this something that is required because
> the Tape Drive is SAN attached??
>        Although with older versions of VMS and on other systems I have
> tended to use the /IGNORE=(LABEL,INTERLOCK) as a kind of routine
> default qualifier, it isn't clear from the BACKUP help that this is a
> requirement

> Thanks Dave.

You might try:

$mylabel = "label"
$BACK/INIT/LABEL='mylabel'/ignore=interlock *.*
$2$MGA2:'mylabel'.bck/saveset

--
Regards,

Michael Austin            OpenVMS User since June 1984
First DBA Source, Inc.    Registered Linux User #261163
Sr. Consultant            http://www.firstdbasource.com

Post by David J. Dachter » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:35:17

> > > Help!
> > > [snip]

> > > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> init $2$mga2: test
> > > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> mount/for $2$mga2:
> > > %MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, TEST mounted on _$2$MGA2: (MICKEY)
> > > MICKEY$SYSMGR>> backup/log *.* $2$mga2:save1.bck
> > > %BACKUP-W-MOUNTERR, volume 1 on _$2$MGA2 was not mounted because
> > > its label does not match the one requested

> > >       Has anyone seen a problem like this.     I have tried every
> > > qualifier that I thought might be related without any significant
> > > success.

> > Add /IGNORE=LABEL. It's expecting to find a volume labelled SAVE1, but
> > you have TEST MOUNTed.

> Thank you David,
>        It kind of surprised me that this worked since this was the the
> first thing that I tried after the initial failure.     I realise now
> that although the initial failure had dismounted the drive, there was
> some internal issue that was persisting which made subsequent attempts
> fail.    Today I unloaded and reloaded the tape (using the robot) and
> repeated the commands above, (adding the /IGNORE=LABEL qualifier) and
> it worked fine.
>        My remaining question is this, is it now necessary to always
> specify /IGNORE=LABEL or append /LABEL=<label> for the backup to work
> from disk to tape.    Or is this something that is required because
> the Tape Drive is SAN attached??

This has been documented behavior since ages. Check the doc.'s (System
Management Utilities manual?).

Quote:>        Although with older versions of VMS and on other systems I have
> tended to use the /IGNORE=(LABEL,INTERLOCK) as a kind of routine
> default qualifier, it isn't clear from the BACKUP help that this is a
> requirement

That does seem to be a deficiency in the on-line HELP, AFAICT, yes. I've
just bumped my head on it often enough to have learned the lesson well.

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

1. SDLT vs LTO tape library

We've purchased two SDLT tape drives(Hp part no CQP 1-2 DRV DLT TAPE
LIBRARY or MSL 5026 S2) in Nov 2002 and have had problems with
frimware and sharing between VMS and NT. Because of tape
initialization and sharing, we run firmware version v35. The most
recent firmware just release today is v52. We'ev had to replace the
tape drives at least three(3)times as well.
Because of the issues with SDLT, it's been suggested to switch to LTO.
I know nothing about LTO and want some honest (non-sales) feedback on
LTO and how it works with VMS. Also, the tape library will be shared
with NT and I would like to know how LTO works in a VMS/NT shared
environment.
Thanks,
Tom

2. Restrict user access to PocketPC features ?

3. SDLT parity errors

4. Problem when calling VC++ Dll from VB5

5. SDLT embarassing hardware support call

6. 3rd party screen management product

7. SUMMARY: PC monitor attached to RGB output

8. Debugger: problem

9. Attaching a new DLT tape loader

10. How to detect if VT320 has local printer attached.

11. VS-3100 with RX33 attached?

12. Attached file on mail