TK50 Need Help

Post by Gary Armstron » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:46:37

Hi all;

Background:
I'm a sun/solaris admin just given one of those "are you kidding me"
projects. I've been handed a TK50 tape originally created on  a micro
vax. It's some kind of archive created just in case (Yup case). I need
to retreive the info on this tape. I know zip about vax/vms, so I'm
perfect for the task. 8^) Anyhow, they actually archived the machine
along with the tape.

Given the above:

1) Should I actually try to fire that baby up considering the following.
They're telling me it's been in that ba*t unpowered and uncovered
for 3+ years. I know no passwords or commands. I have no idea how the
tape was created. The lan it once lived on went the way of the
dinasours, so configuration on my lan would also be a problem.

2) Can anyone direct me to a service that can read it for me? Southern
California would be a real pluss. The tape is suddenly precious and they
don't want it out of site.

Why me?
Gary

TK50 Need Help

Post by Larry Kilgall » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:04:44

> 2) Can anyone direct me to a service that can read it for me? Southern
> California would be a real pluss. The tape is suddenly precious and they
> don't want it out of site.

If you need someone to come onsite in that area, you might try to
hire Alan Frisbie.  His company name is Flying Disk Systems.

TK50 Need Help

Post by Gary Armstron » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:17:41

Sorry, if you see multiple posts. I'm seeing 4 of the same. I swear, I
hit send once. My wife would claim it's to much coffee.

Gary

> Hi all;

> Background:
> I'm a sun/solaris admin just given one of those "are you kidding me"
> projects. I've been handed a TK50 tape originally created on  a micro
> vax. It's some kind of archive created just in case (Yup case). I need
> to retreive the info on this tape. I know zip about vax/vms, so I'm
> perfect for the task. 8^) Anyhow, they actually archived the machine
> along with the tape.

> Given the above:

> 1) Should I actually try to fire that baby up considering the following.
> They're telling me it's been in that ba*t unpowered and uncovered
> for 3+ years. I know no passwords or commands. I have no idea how the
> tape was created. The lan it once lived on went the way of the
> dinasours, so configuration on my lan would also be a problem.

> 2) Can anyone direct me to a service that can read it for me? Southern
> California would be a real pluss. The tape is suddenly precious and they
> don't want it out of site.

> Why me?
> Gary

TK50 Need Help

Post by JF Meze » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:10:22

> 2) Can anyone direct me to a service that can read it for me? Southern
> California would be a real pluss. The tape is suddenly precious and they
> don't want it out of site.

Site or sight ?

If you can't take it out of your site, then firing up the old vax might be
your best bet. Get some compressed air to blow the dust out of the TK50 drive :-)

The old vax should have at least one serial port (OPA0:, the operator console)
and you could just rig up a PC to run Kermit to download the restored files to
the pc and then move the pc to your new lan and use whatever tools are
available on that lan (ftp nfs etc).

Did that vax have any TCPIP connectivity ? If so, you might just be able to
connect your pC onto its ethernet to create a small segment and then use FTP
etc to transfer the files once they are restored from TK50.

If the tape can go out of site, then there are plemty of us with vaxes who
could restore the tape for you.

TK50 Need Help

Post by Hans Vlem » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:26:02

Quote:> Hi all;

> Background:
> I'm a sun/solaris admin just given one of those "are you kidding me"
> projects. I've been handed a TK50 tape originally created on  a micro
> vax. It's some kind of archive created just in case (Yup case). I need
> to retreive the info on this tape. I know zip about vax/vms, so I'm
> perfect for the task. 8^) Anyhow, they actually archived the machine
> along with the tape.

That's encouraging: you have media and appropriate hardware. Note that a
TK50 may be read (not written to) on TK70 and TK85/86 drives too.

Quote:

> Given the above:

> 1) Should I actually try to fire that baby up considering the following.
> They're telling me it's been in that ba*t unpowered and uncovered
> for 3+ years. I know no passwords or commands. I have no idea how the
> tape was created. The lan it once lived on went the way of the
> dinasours, so configuration on my lan would also be a problem.

If you happen to have a computer that connects to the tape drive then things
might be easy.

1) |D|i|g|i|t|a|l| branded hardware is next to indestructable. I have
several machines in my own collection that hadn't run for over 4 years and
booted at power up. The VAXstation 2000 (built in '87) still works, though
its disk is gone. The VAX systems with SCSI are even better: SCSI disks tend
to live longer.

2) Power up and wait until you see >>> on the console. Just for fun just
type B and see whether it boots.
If so then your next problem is breaking in to the system: no problem we can
tell you how that works.
If it fails to boot please copy the exact error message and post it. It does
help if you specify what VAX model you're working with.

3) The next step is to read the tape. If it is a backup tape then know that
VMS backup did not change its format (like MS-DOS did).
4) Getting the data off the disk is something else again. Depending on the
model, the VAX may have an AUI ethernet interface. Your LAN changed, very
likely to UTP and an ethernet flavor. Buy a UTP transceiver (AUI to UTP) and
wire tha VAX to a 10/100 port. The next step is figuring out if the VAX runs
IP. If not then you'll need something like kermit and a (fast) serial
connection. Slow but still doable.

Quote:> 2) Can anyone direct me to a service that can read it for me? Southern
> California would be a real pluss. The tape is suddenly precious and they
> don't want it out of site.

Perhaps list members near you will help you. Otherwise UPS it to the
Netherlands and I'll dump the contents on whatever medium you want it.

Quote:> Why me?

Simple, this is a very interesting, entertaining and rewarding task :-)

Quote:> Gary

Have fun!
hans

TK50 Need Help

Post by Charlie Hammo » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:58:38

If you want to read this tape on an old, dusty drive, I strongly recommend
that you first check out the drive reading an expendable tape.  TK50 drives
are quite capable of "eating" tape -- rendering it unusable.  One
that has been sitting around in a dusty storage area for some number of
years is to be treated with caution.

--
      Charlie Hammond -- Hewlett-Packard Company -- Ft Lauderdale  FL  USA

      All opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily my employer's.

TK50 Need Help

Post by Alan Frisbi » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:02:08

>>2) Can anyone direct me to a service that can read it for me? Southern
>>California would be a real plus. The tape is suddenly precious and they
>>don't want it out of site.
> If you need someone to come onsite in that area, you might try to
> hire Alan Frisbie.  His company name is Flying Disk Systems.

Hi, my name is Alan Frisbie.   :-)

Do you mean out of site, or out of sight?   If the latter, it is
easier and quicker.   You bring the tape to my site and kick back
with a $BEVERAGE while I pull the data off and put it on whatever
media you need.   The cost is simply for my time and any media used.
If you like, I can even ftp the data to your system.

If you mean out of *site*, that is more difficult.   I can come
use your system (assuming that it still works), but then there
is the problem of moving the data to a system you can use it on.

If your VAX doesn't have the necessary hardware or network
connection, then I would have to bring everything needed.   It
would cost your employeer a *lot* more, but it could be done.
The danger is that some unforseen item will not be available,
causing multiple trips.

I will be on vacation from June 27th through July 6th, so that
should give you some time to investigate alternatives and
decide what you wish to do.

Alan

-- Alan E. Frisbie              Frisbie "AT" Flying-Disk.com
-- Flying Disk Systems, Inc.
-- 4759 Round Top Drive         323-256-2575
-- Los Angeles, CA 90065

TK50 Need Help

Post by Gary Armstron » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:53:28

> Sorry, if you see multiple posts. I'm seeing 4 of the same. I swear, I
> hit send once. My wife would claim it's to much coffee.

> Gary

And she would be correct!!!

Quote:>> 2) Can anyone direct me to a service that can read it for me? Southern
>> California would be a real pluss. The tape is suddenly precious and
>> they don't want it out of site.

>> Why me?
>> Gary

That would be sight. Driving anywhere in SoCal would be ok.

Gary

TK50 Need Help

Post by Stanley F. Quayl » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:53:07

Quote:> 2) Can anyone direct me to a service that can read it for me? Southern
> California would be a real pluss. The tape is suddenly precious and they
> don't want it out of site.

I can come to your site and migrate the data, or you can use a secure
courier service (or yourself) to come here to Ohio for migration.
Call me at 614-868-1363 if you can't find someone more local.  Please
look at:

   http://www.stanq.com/conversion.html
   http://www.stanq.com

--Stan Quayle
Quayle Consulting Inc.

----------
Stanley F. Quayle, P.E. N8SQ  +1 614-868-1363  Fax: +1 614 868-1671
8572 North Spring Ct. NW, Pickerington, OH  43147

1. HELP: I need a bootable tk50 cartdrige....!!

<<<<<DON'T REPLY TO MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE>>>>
The e-mail address is not the right one... Use the one in my signature
please....
<<<<<SORRY  SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY>>>>

I  now own a MicroVAX II that had it's HD formatted and 2 blank tk50
cartdriges...

I want to boot it again and since I must be the only owner of a tk50
drive in a 100 miles radius, I am looking for someone that would be
willing to provide me with the necessary tapes to boot my system again.

I could agree to buy new material but would prefer shipping my 2 blank
tapes to someone who could write the necessary OS on it.  I was thinking

about using NetBSD, because it's free.. But any other suggestion will be

welcome.  I just want this baby to boot again...

P.S. Don't hesitate to reply thru e-mail, 'cauz I odn;t get to read this

ng very often.

Thanks to you all...

| This is from Philippe M. Chiasson                     |

| "To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and   |
|  call whatever you hit the target"                    |
|                                 -- Ashleigh Brilliant |

2. Font Designer

3. Need TK50 built from hobbyist cd

4. ? on screen saver

5. Need OpenVMS-VAX 6.2 on TK50

6. port numbers and DNS

7. TK50 Tapes Needed.

8. What does this DOS session message mean?

9. need bootable TK50 tape, pls

10. Need VMS 5.5-2 on TK50

11. Need TK70/TK50 for dssi (Germany)