What is a "gubernator" ?

Post by paddy.o'br.. » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 04:16:58

Roy

ROTFL (mainly your signature)

Quote:>> We always hear about "gubernatorial" candidates,
>elections, etc.

>> I have a question: what is a "gubernator"?
>Latin word for "steersman" (the person at the helm of
>the ship).
>Thus giving the English word "governor" (supposedly the
>one
>steering the government).

>That is all IIRC :-)  (My Latin was 30 years ago).

Yeah, and mine is 40 years, so I can only take the
nearest and assume that "Royus Omondus" means "king of
the world" -- that's pretty close, isn't it?  Especially
with a name like mine, it could be "king of the Irish
world" -- but O'Mondus :-)))

Quote:>Royus Omondus
>Blue Bubble Ltd.

From memory, and then a quick check with m-w, there is
no noun.  Gubernatorial is an adjective, and only that.
If you did your stuff from memory, you're pretty damned
right.

Regards, Paddy

Paddy O'Brien,
Transmission Development,
TransGrid,
PO Box A1000, Sydney South,
NSW 2000, Australia

Tel:   +61 2 9284-3063
Fax:   +61 2 9284-3050

Either "\'" or "\s" (to escape the apostrophe) seems to
work for most people,
but that little whizz-bang apostrophe gives me little
spam.

What is a "gubernator" ?

Post by Wayne Sewe » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 01:25:47

> Roy

> ROTFL (mainly your signature)

>>> We always hear about "gubernatorial" candidates,
>>elections, etc.

>>> I have a question: what is a "gubernator"?

>>Latin word for "steersman" (the person at the helm of
>>the ship).
>>Thus giving the English word "governor" (supposedly the
>>one
>>steering the government).

>>That is all IIRC :-)  (My Latin was 30 years ago).

> Yeah, and mine is 40 years, so I can only take the
> nearest and assume that "Royus Omondus" means "king of
> the world" -- that's pretty close, isn't it?  Especially
> with a name like mine, it could be "king of the Irish
> world" -- but O'Mondus :-)))

>>Royus Omondus
>>Blue Bubble Ltd.

> From memory, and then a quick check with m-w, there is
> no noun.  Gubernatorial is an adjective, and only that.
> If you did your stuff from memory, you're pretty damned
> right.

From time to time, I have used the following in my sig file:

"If George Lindsay ran for Governor, he would be the Goober-natorial
candidate."

Note for non-americans and non-geezers (i.e. those who have never seen the old
Andy Griffith television show): Goober, played by George Lindsay, was a
character in this show.  He was related to Gomer Pyle, and occasionally
appeared in that show also.  The two of them together had an IQ of minus 10.

http://www.tachysoft.xxx/www/tachyon.html and wayne.html
change .xxx to .com in addresses above, assuming you are not a spambot  :-)
Cute Girl, to Curly: "Oh, what a beautiful head of bone you have!"

What is a "gubernator" ?

}
}>> We always hear about "gubernatorial" candidates,
}>elections, etc.
}>>
}>> I have a question: what is a "gubernator"?
}
}>Latin word for "steersman" (the person at the helm of
}>the ship).
}>Thus giving the English word "governor" (supposedly the
}>one
}>steering the government).
}>
[...]

My Latin classes were finished "only" 18 years ago, but since I
remember very little of it, I looked it up on-line:

                                   guber

   gubernaculum (-aclum) -i n. [rudder , helm]; hence [direction,
   management, government].

   gubernatio -onis f. [steering; direction , government].

   gubernator -oris m. [helmsman , steersman, pilot; director, governor].

   gubernatrix -icis f. [she that directs].

   guberno -are [to steer a ship , be at the helm]; in gen., [to steer,
   direct, govern].

   gubernum -i n. = gubernaculum; q.v.
     ____________________________________

(I looked up "guber" at http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latgramm.htm)

--- Carl

1. F$GETQUI("DISPLAY_JOB","LOG_SPECIFICATION",,"THIS_JOB")

Hello all,

   I want to mail the log file to a user if the a job fails.
I can't seem to get the lexical to work. Below is a snippet
from the log. I know it has to be something simple :)
TIA
Terry

$ JNAME = F$GETQUI("DISPLAY_JOB","JOB_NAME",,"THIS_JOB")
$ JPID  = F$GETQUI("DISPLAY_JOB","JOB_PID",,"THIS_JOB")
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "JNAME = TEST_OF_GETQUI , JPID = 00025C66"
JNAME = TEST_OF_GETQUI , JPID = 00025C66
$!
$ JLOG  = F$GETQUI("DISPLAY_JOB","LOG_SPECIFICATION",,"THIS_JOB")
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "JLOG= ||"
JLOG= ||
$!

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of
United Advertising Media.
The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. If
you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please do not read, copy, use or disclose this
communication and notify the sender immediately. It
should be noted that any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking action in
reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.
**

2. Windows 2000 Wont connect to Samba (Debian) box

3. """The Art of Debugging"" Was: Compiler Optimisation problems"

4. Anyone want to exchange PPC?

5. """Problems!"""

6. ******An installation problem*******

8. 'Page cannot be displayed' error

9. Cache "Total Size" vs. "Kbytes in use" ??

10. Capellas is either a "moron" or he's "paid off"!

11. f$env("procedure","line_number")

12. "process crash" vs. "application crash"

13. LINKING F90 programs leads to "multiply defined" and "undefined" CMA$TIS