mail..Forwarding??

Post by Micheal Matusiewi » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I have a question on the mailer for VMS.  I would like to create
a dot forward file like you would in UNIX.  Currently I am running on
a VAX8530 and would like to do one of two things:
1. Forward the message completely to another machine or
2. Forward it somewhere else plus keep the copy of it.
Would rather do #2 but either would be of help

thank you for the help.

mail..Forwarding??

Post by Carl J Lydi » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

=I have a question on the mailer for VMS.  I would like to create
=a dot forward file like you would in UNIX.

Why in the world would you want to do that when MAIL has a SET FORWARD command
built into it?

=Currently I am running on
=a VAX8530 and would like to do one of two things:
=1. Forward the message completely to another machine or

That's easily done.
        MAIL> SET FORWARD host::user
or

=2. Forward it somewhere else plus keep the copy of it.
=Would rather do #2 but either would be of help

VMS mail doesn't support the latter.  You'd need to either get a third-party
product (like DELIVER) to take care of that, OR forward your mail to a machine
that DOES support delivery to multiple recipients; have one copy go to the
second machine you referred to, and the other go back to the VAX to your
account, but with an underscore prepended to the username.  The underscore
tells the mailer to ignore forwarding information.  So when you first receive a
message, it will be forwarded to the second machine, which will deliver one
copy to the other account, and forward a second copy back to your account on
the VAX but in such a way as to force delivery to that account instead of to
the forwarding address.

Disclaimer:  Hey, I understand VAXen and VMS.  That's what I get paid for.  My
understanding of astronomy is purely at the amateur level (or below).  So
unless what I'm saying is directly related to VAX/VMS, don't hold me or my
organization responsible for it.  If it IS related to VAX/VMS, you can try to
hold me responsible for it, but my organization had nothing to do with it.

mail..Forwarding??

Post by Richard B. Gilbert [VAX » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have a question on the mailer for VMS.  I would like to create
>a dot forward file like you would in UNIX.  Currently I am running on
>a VAX8530 and would like to do one of two things:
>1. Forward the message completely to another machine or
>2. Forward it somewhere else plus keep the copy of it.
>Would rather do #2 but either would be of help

        VMS does things a little differently.  There is no such animal as a
forward file.  What you want is the SET FORWARD command within MAIL.  If your
TCP/IP package is UCX it would look like:

MAIL> SHOW FORWARD
MAIL> EXIT

*                        Here, there be dragons!                        *

*                                                                       *
*       I'm job hunting.  Any offers or leads will be appreciated.      *
* I'm looking for something in central NJ or eastern PA.  Thanks!       *
*                                                                       *
*                                                Richard B. Gilbert     *

mail..Forwarding??

--
Michael,

There is no .forward file in standard OpenVMS. In the standard issue VMS
mailer, the SET FORWARD command performs the equivalent function.

Depending upon the mailers in use at your site, you may have other options
for doing things with incomming Email. Among the PD programs which are
useful in this context is MX. PMDF (a fully supported product) also can do
some complex forwarding and routing actions.

I hope that the above is helpful. If I have been unclear, or can be of
further assistance, please feel free to contact me via Email or phone.

- Bob

| Robert Gezelter Software Consultant         Voice:   +1 718 463 1079     |
| 35-20 167th Street, Suite 215               Fax:       (on Request)      |
| Flushing, New York  11358-1731                                           |
| United States of America                                                 |

mail..Forwarding??

Post by Richard B. Gilbert [VAX » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

        Micheal,

        VMS MAIL is not capable of both forwarding a message and retaining a
copy; it's one or the other.

        Try HELP SET FORWARD within MAIL.  I'm too lazy to get up and fetch a
manual but I think it's something like SET NOFORWARD.

        There are third party packages that can both forward mail and retain
copies.  One such is called DELIVER which is freely available and also
delivered as part of the PMDF mailer from Innosoft.

*                        Here, there be dragons!                        *

*                                                                       *

Post by Carl J Lydi » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

=Depending upon the mailers in use at your site, you may have other options
=for doing things with incomming Email. Among the PD programs which are
=useful in this context is MX.

Which never even sees incoming mail from the local node (unless someone has
decided to address it to "MX%username" instead of just "username") or incoming
mail via MAIL-11 protocol over DECnet.  Much as I like MX, it's not really a
solution to the problem at hand.

=PMDF (a fully supported product) also can do
=some complex forwarding and routing actions.

Actually, if I understand correctly, DELIVER, which is PD (or at least
freeware) and just happens to be included in PMDF is the part of PMDF that
takes care of this.

Disclaimer:  Hey, I understand VAXen and VMS.  That's what I get paid for.  My
understanding of astronomy is purely at the amateur level (or below).  So
unless what I'm saying is directly related to VAX/VMS, don't hold me or my
organization responsible for it.  If it IS related to VAX/VMS, you can try to
hold me responsible for it, but my organization had nothing to do with it.

mail..Forwarding??

Post by Arne Vajhoe » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> =PMDF (a fully supported product) also can do
> =some complex forwarding and routing actions.

> Actually, if I understand correctly, DELIVER, which is PD (or at least
> freeware) and just happens to be included in PMDF is the part of PMDF that
> takes care of this.

The DELIVER part oF PMDF can do it and a lot of other usefull things, but
a musch simpler solution for this specific problem with PMDF is:

                                                          Arne

Arne Vajh?j                             local DECNET:  KO::ARNE
Computer Department                     PSI:           PSI%238310013040::ARNE

                WWW URL: http://www.hhs.dk/~arne/arne.html

1. VMS Mail Forwarding

I am using Vaxmail,  when I mail an SMTP address it delivers the message
straight to the SMTP mail address for example mail/subject="test"

When I use the following command set forward/user=davisde

me this has stopped working all of a sudden all of the gateways it
passes through  are up and running.

I have also tried using the SMTP% command this also gives a negative
response, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Dean Davis.

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.

2. HELP! acrobat exchange-very slow

3. VMS Mail forwarding service

4. Connecting S5 with standard modem

5. VMS mail forwarding

6. Java(tm)* Virtual Machine Research and Technology Symposium (JVM '01) Announcement and Call For Papers

7. jpg files, Netscape 3.03 and mail forwarding from ISPs

8. data repeater

9. mail forwarding

10. Mail forwarding from VMS to UNIX

11. Setting up automatic mail forward account on VMS how??