VMS-Solaris NFS problem (cannot read files from Solaris)

VMS-Solaris NFS problem (cannot read files from Solaris)

Post by Henning Freh » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi Managers.

I have shared a file system located on a solaris machine,
and tried to nfs-mount on a VMS machine.

Now I can write to the filesystem without problems (VMS->Solaris),
but if I want to read the VMS machine gets stuck.

I have no problmes with nfs when a Linux box shares, both
with VMS and with Solaris. Nor is it a problem mounting
a nfs partion shared from solaris using the linux box.

My solaris box is an x86 machine, however it does not
work with a sparc also.

Dou you have any ideas? Thanks
        Henning Frehe

VMS-BOX:        DEC-VAX uVAX3100-10 (don't laugh)
                VMS 5.5-2
                UCX 3.3
Solaris:        Solaris 2.5 x86
                no patches so far
------------------personal opinions expressed only-------------------
Henning Frehe      Siemens ElectroCom   SEC/S52 D-78467 Konstanz

Private Home: http://www.germanynet.de/teilnehmer/100.26373/home.html
 'Wer unter Euch frei von Steinen ist, werfe die erste Snde!'

VMS-Solaris NFS problem (cannot read files from Solaris)

Post by Derek fag » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I had a problem reading files from a Solaris share in the same manner =
as
you did (on UCX4.x), but it seemed to resolve itself when I changed the
VMS NFS MOUNT commands to use /DATA=3D(1024,1024).

I know that you should not need to get it this low, and that it may
impact performance, but what the hell - it worked, so I've left it like
that !

Derek...

1. problems mounting Solaris NFS disks with UCX

Does anyone have experience using Solaris exported NFS disks with UCX?
Vitals are Solaris 2.4, OpenVMS 6.1, and UCX 3.3.

What happens is that I can mount the disk under VMS fine:
   $ UCX MOUNT DNFS1: /HOST="solaris24" /PATH="/"
As long as I stick to doing DIRECTORY commands, things seem to pretty
much work.  However, when I try to look at a file ($ TYPE
DNFS1:[ETC.MAIL]SENDMAIL.CF) on the Solaris disk, things "hang".  The
only way to get out is to kill the entire process (or close the
DECterm).  HP-UX, Digital UNIX, and SunOS all work fine.  Also, other
Unix machines have no problems accessing the Solaris disks.

Any tips to make this work would be most appreciated.  I'm willing to
tweak things on either the Solaris box or VMS.

Thanks,
   Dan
--
--------------------- message is author's opinion only --------------------

Bristol Technology Inc.                     +1 203 438 6969, 438-5013 (FAX)

2. Thing about Linux you do not know...

3. Vax/VMS nfs client using UCX to SUN Solaris server...

4. 2 Webserver and 1 ISA-Firewall

5. Star-Core vs Tiger Sharc vs ?

6. How to read VMS tape backup in Sun Solaris?

7. Please help me with ProDOS

8. Pgm to read VMS Backup on Solaris ...

9. UCX and NFS on Solaris

10. Multinet, NFS and Sun Solaris

11. File update delay in VMS/Solaris cross-mount

12. Solaris -> VMS Porting problem