Moving OT: RTL2, Benny Hill etc (was Re: VMS position av

Moving OT: RTL2, Benny Hill etc (was Re: VMS position av

Post by WILLIAM WEB » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

cc:
Subject:  Moving OT: RTL2, Benny Hill etc (was Re: VMS position available
       in Cambridge, Mass.)

>>I hear this morning that "* Darts" was canceled form it's British
>>cable
>>channel.  How come all they ever send over here is Benny Hill?

>Because we're still paying you back for inflicting Archie Bunker on us...

>And ruining Doctor Who...

>And giving Noddy an American accent...

>And, and, and...

>(among others)

>Steve Spires

Ruining Dr. Who, yes.
Giving Noddy an American accent, yes.
Teaching their schoolchildren the first computer was built after the war in
America, and called Eniac. yes. (Alan Turin, Colossus, Bletchley Park? Ring
a bell anyone?)
Making orange * blocks and selling them as cheddar cheese, yes.

Inflicting Archie Bunker on us, well, not really. It's the other way
around. Archie Bunker is the American incarnation of our original Alf
Garnet, so you could say we inflicted him on them. They did mess with it,
though. Alf was funnier, although I admit Archie does have his moments.

I will now get mugged by a bunch of Americans who don't want to believe
Archie Bunker, American icon, is really a Brit in disguise. Sorry, 'strue.
And "Sanford and Son" is based on the British "Steptoe and Son", which was
INFINITELY funnier. Nah nah ne-nah nah.

However, I would like to wholeheartedly apologise to all Americans for
Benny Hill. Of all the things we could have sent you......

 #####   ---------------------------------------------------------------

#  L  #  ---------------------------------------------------------------
 #\_/#   Don't blame HealthNet for anything I say. They're innocent.
  ###    OpenVMS: The operating system God runs the Earth simulation on.

     That's TURING and you forgot the incomparable Mrs. Peel. and the
     oft-imitated-but-never-matched Messrs. Cleese, Idle, et al.

     WWWebb

Moving OT: RTL2, Benny Hill etc (was Re: VMS position av

Post by Malcolm Dunne » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>>And ruining Doctor Who...

>>And giving Noddy an American accent...

>>And, and, and...

>>(among others)

>>Steve Spires

> Ruining Dr. Who, yes.

   How did they ruin Dr. Who? Are you referring to the
eminently forgettable Dr Who movie from a couple of
years ago?

   I think the BBC ruined Dr. Who when they replaced
Tom Baker with the guy from "All Creatures Great and Small"
(whose name I can never remember). Colin Baker was even
more of a disaster, though Sylvester McCoy was rather
interesting. Of course any of them were better than
no Dr. Who at all.

Quote:

> However, I would like to wholeheartedly apologise to all Americans for
> Benny Hill. Of all the things we could have sent you......

   Well I'd say Monty Python ( or anything else with John Cleese
in it), Red Dwarf and a host of others more than make up for Benny!

Information Systems  Nanaimo, B.C. CANADA V9R 5S5     Tel: (250)755-8738

1. Moving OT: RTL2, Benny Hill etc (was Re: VMS position available in Cambridge, Mass.)

Contact:   Tel: 3063  -  VSSG, 1st Floor, Bridge Street Plaza

Because we're still paying you back for inflicting Archie Bunker on us...

And ruining Doctor Who...

And giving Noddy an American accent...

And, and, and...

(among others)

Steve Spires
VMS System Manager
BT/Yellow Pages

cc:         (bcc: Steve Spires/YellowPages)

           12:56 p.m.

Re: VMS position available in Cambridge, Mass.

: >>
: >> I got similar results on google, altavista, yahoo,fast.
: >> That's a popular TV channel, I guess.
: >
: >IIRC, RTL Two has a tendency to the fleshier kind of shows...

: This seems a good reason to apply for that VMS position.

I hear this morning that "Topless Darts" was canceled form it's British
cable
channel.  How come all they ever send over here is Benny Hill?

---
Bob Koehler                     | Computer Sciences Corporation
Hubble Space Telescope Payload  | Federal Sector
 Flight Software Team           | Civil Group

2. jtiller, please read this

3. Moving OT: RTL2, Benny Hill etc (was Re: VMS position available in Cambridge, Mass.) Cambridge, Mass.)

4. ForthMacs

5. Moving further OT: RTL2, Benny Hill etc

6. Help Need to send Mail within intranet..

7. Moving off-topic (was Re: VMS position available in Cambridge, Mass.)

8. Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail and SMS)

9. Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail

10. Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS M

11. Moving OT with my Handy in my hand (was Re: VMS Mail