Laptop recommendation?

Post by Mark Tar » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:57:54

So...maybe it's off-topic....

Panasonic has a ruggedized unit, in particular
a Toughbook 28 -- Pentium III with PC 133 memory.
I'm currently living the life of leisure on the
streets of NYC since my sister and some looney
feminist nuked my crib in Montana (a reminder of
my good buddy Murphy -- some people really do
have shit for brains; Hey!  Did you know the grocery
stores will buy back aluminum cans at a nickel
a pop :-)  Homelessness doesn't necessarily mean
lack of WWW connectivity -- libraries provide
hardware and limited access time.  Here in NYC,
you can get a seat at a port if your laptop's
got the right card, and, WiFi zones are coming up
like mosquitos after the spring rains all over
Manhattan.  Starbuck's has ports available, but
who really likes coffee and the evil people that
use it?

The point -- A Toughbook would run something like
$4K with options, more with insurance.  Laptop/
notebooks come in at half that, with faster memory,
and I could put one into a Pelican water/dust resistant
hard case.  What I'd lose would be the supposedly
specialized shock-mounting Panasonic claims for it's
toys (seems to me if a HDD is rated at resisting
x Gees out of the box, why shock-mount -- comments?)

Anyone with experience along this line...a budget
minded system for _rough_ service; or have the
big-boys clinched the market specialized features
like sealed KBs and displays that don't crack at
the drop of a hat and can be seen in full sunlight?

   Mark

FWIW, "shit for brains" is a very utilitarian phrase
and extrordinarily effective in the right hands.  Over
on sci.chem a lurker/small-time poster suprised us
with a plagiarized rant (search keywords to find other
variations)...appended.  It's been a month.  I've gotten
over it and would almost thank the poster for pointing
out that the text and the underlying thought existed --
but why mess with something that worked in the first
place.

***

Newsgroups: sci.chem
Subject: Re: Negative expansion materials
Date: 24 Apr 2003 03:48:41 -0700

Nothing.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid Uncle Al is.
I mean rock-hard stupid.  Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid.
Surface of Venus under 80 atmospheres of red hot carbon dioxide and
sulfuric
acid vapor dehydrated for 300 million years rock-hard stupid.
Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a
whole
different sensorium of stupid. Uncle Al is trans-stupid stupid.
Meta-stupid.  Stupid so collapsed upon itself that it is within its
own Schwarzschild radius.  Black hole stupid.  Stupid gotten so dense
and massive that no intellect can escape.  Singularity stupid. Uncle
Al emits more stupid/second than our entire galaxy otherwise emits
stupid/year.  Quasar stupid.  Nothing else in the universe can be this
stupid.  Uncle Al is an oozingly putrescent primordial fragment from
the original Big Bang of Stupid, a pure essence of
stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of
physics that define maximally extrapolated hypergeometric
n-dimensional backgroundless stupid as we can imagine it.  Uncle Al is
Planck stupid, a quantum foam of stupid, a vacuum decay of stupid, a
grand unified theory of stupid. Uncle Al is the epiphany of stupid.
Uncle Al is stooopid.
Uncle Al is a swine. Uncle Al is a vulgar little maggot. Uncle Al is a
worthless bag of filth.  As they say in Texas,  Uncle Al couldn't pour
*out of a boot with instructions printed on the heel. Uncle Al is
a canker, an ulcerous sore that won't go away.  I would rather watch
Affirmative Action lawyers suck-start Harleys with their bungholes
than suffer the troll abominations of Uncle Al.

Laptop recommendation?

Post by David J. Dachter » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:29:52

> So...maybe it's off-topic....

> Panasonic has a ruggedized unit, in particular
> a Toughbook 28 -- Pentium III with PC 133 memory.
> I'm currently living the life of leisure on the
> streets of NYC since my sister and some looney
> feminist nuked my crib in Montana ...

Sorry - this is so far outside my paradigm that my brain bugchecked
(some would say I *AM* a bugcheck, but I digress...).

Would not the money be better spent on shelter? ...a job search?

Re: Bugcheck...

I'm reminded of a story from years ago. A manframe jock was overheard on
a cell phone at a social gathering. He drew a lot of strange looks when
he was heard to tell the person (an operator) on the other end to "take
a dump, and I'll look at it tomorrow".

--
David J. Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

Laptop recommendation?

Post by Mark Tar » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:48:25

> > So...maybe it's off-topic....

> > Panasonic has a ruggedized unit, in particular
> > a Toughbook 28 -- Pentium III with PC 133 memory.
> > I'm currently living the life of leisure on the
> > streets of NYC since my sister and some looney
> > feminist nuked my crib in Montana ...

> Sorry - this is so far outside my paradigm that my brain bugchecked
> (some would say I *AM* a bugcheck, but I digress...).

> Would not the money be better spent on shelter? ...a job search?

No...and, no.

Quote:> Re: Bugcheck...

> I'm reminded of a story from years ago. A manframe jock was overheard on
> a cell phone at a social gathering. He drew a lot of strange looks when
> he was heard to tell the person (an operator) on the other end to "take
> a dump, and I'll look at it tomorrow".

Examined the dump (found it today in the waste bin on
the NW corner of 57th and 2nd Ave in Midtown Manhattan
before dawn whilst trolling for cans and bottles --
a CTX EzBook 700 that doesn't look too bad (150 MHz
bus, maybe 16 MB RAM, maybe 1.6 GB HDD, 2 PCMCIA
slots, "Designed for WIN '95" -- this is a major

25 MHz, 2 MB RAM, 41 MB HDD, which runs MS-DOS 6.22
and nothing else :-)

The EzBook battery is dead.  I searched the dump for
the AC adapter and found nothing.  It's a 20 volt,
2.2 amp adapter with the standard hollow barrel
connector that fits on the pin in the well on the side
of the laptop.  Anyone with a free dusty AC adapter of
any make and model (and any type of connector on a
two conductor cable to the computer) with a voltage
_around_ 20 volts and a current rating around 2.2 amps
(impedence matching shouldn't be a problem...and if
the damn thing lights up...Hello World All Over Again)?
I can pick-up in the NYC metro area; otherwise, mail
to Mark Tarka; General Delivery; New York, NY 10001-9999.
I'll pay shipping costs ("$7?  No prob.  That's 140
cans or bottles at $0.05 each.  Have that in 2 days :-)

  Mark (Saw Carl and Elvis the other day, noshing on
         a skull-full of chocolate tidbits and chatting
         about the "old days" of VMS and the blues)