interface

Post by Phillip Helbi » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:25:48

Quote:> >> What will be th next VT terminal ?  The OVMS engineering should think
> >> about the clients too... an OS is not just kernel and communication
> >> protocols.

> > You seem to post something like this every few months.  I don't think
> > anyone has ever understood your point.

> But we don't know who you are talking to, because you did not give
> attribution for the quoted lines.  Please do not assume that your
> readers newsreaders are exactly the same as yours.

I think it is obvious that I (unquoted in the original, quoted twice
here) was talking to the original poster (quoted twice in the original,
thrice here), especially since my statement was immediately beneath his.
If this isn't obvious in a newsreader, then I would consider it to be
broken.

I don't think his NAME matters; if he's following the thread, he'll
notice; if he doesn't, he won't.  (Unless he just looks for posts with
his name in them, of course.)

interface

Post by Larry Kilgall » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:03:08

Quote:> I think it is obvious that I (unquoted in the original, quoted twice
> here) was talking to the original poster (quoted twice in the original,
> thrice here), especially since my statement was immediately beneath his.
> If this isn't obvious in a newsreader, then I would consider it to be
> broken.

Never presume that everybody else's computer is just like yours.

Which VMS newsreader are you using ?

Quote:> I don't think his NAME matters; if he's following the thread, he'll
> notice; if he doesn't, he won't.

Well, if you are only talking to him rather than the rest of us,
wouldn't it be better in mail ?  :-)

interface

Post by Phillip Helbi » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:51:39

Quote:> > I think it is obvious that I (unquoted in the original, quoted twice
> > here) was talking to the original poster (quoted twice in the original,
> > thrice here), especially since my statement was immediately beneath his.
> > If this isn't obvious in a newsreader, then I would consider it to be
> > broken.

> Never presume that everybody else's computer is just like yours.

> Which VMS newsreader are you using ?

At the moment, email (VMS MAIL) via InfoVAX.  But my experience shows
that NEWSRDR, which I use a lot, as well as Netscape, Google, nn etc
show output perfectly understandable to me.

Quote:> > I don't think his NAME matters; if he's following the thread, he'll
> > notice; if he doesn't, he won't.

> Well, if you are only talking to him rather than the rest of us,
> wouldn't it be better in mail ?  :-)

Precisely.  But I wasn't, which is why the name isn't so important.
(Perhaps someone else remembers the thread and what FC's point was.)

1. interface (was: RE: Compaq Solutions Aliance - "Does" it still existing ?)

Just say "no".

I have DECwindows, DECterm and use many graphical applications.

Of course, I don't have an interface where I have to take one hand off
the keyboard to accomplish things.  But I don't want that.

You seem to post something like this every few months.  I don't think
anyone has ever understood your point.

2. HELP!

3. interface (was: RE: Compaq Solutions Aliance - Do it still existing ?)

4. FS: CD32 Banshee & Microcosm

5. VMS character cell interface tool

6. NT disabled my OS/2

7. Internet interface error (UCX)

8. Watcom #Pragma′s

9. TCPIP: pseudo-interface: 2 IP addresses on 1 VMS system with 1 ethernet card

10. Interface on Alpha

11. Network question re GigE and NIC 10/100 interface cards

12. UCX / TCP QIO interface and READVBLK

13. Setcim -> ABB-Bailey interface on DEC Alpha