Announcing OpenVMS V7.2 Field Test SDK...

Announcing OpenVMS V7.2 Field Test SDK...

Post by Hoff Hoffm » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

  <Follow-ups have been set to vmsnet.sdk.openvms.fieldtest>

        --

  The OpenVMS Software Developer's Kit (SDK) will be available in June
  1998.  The first SDK kit contains external field test two (EFT2) of

  All necessary product license PAKs are included with the SDK kit.
  (These PAKs are valid for use with the SDK, and for the duration of
  the particular SDK.)

  OpenVMS V7.2 contains a wide variety of new features you've asked for,
  and this SDK will be your opportunity to see and to work with the new
  release, both to test your existing code with the release, and to
  design and debug new code using the new V7.2 features of OpenVMS.

  The EFT2 SDK contains features including the following:

  o OpenVMS Galaxy.  You've heard about it, now you can try it.  You can
    use your AlphaServer 8400 (only) to operate multiple instances with
    the included console firmware, and you can use the SDK to develop
    OpenVMS Galaxy-aware applications on any other OpenVMS Alpha system
    (in a single-instance configuration).  (But no changes to existing
    software applications are required!)  Remember to start your tour
    with the _OpenVMS Alpha Galaxy Guide_.

  o Heterogeneous File Support (HFS).  You wanted deeper directories,
    longer file names, and a much wider variety of characters within
    file names.  The SDK includes RMS, MOUNT, DCL, DECnet, and XQP
    support for HFS on OpenVMS Alpha.  (HFS provides the ODS-5 on-disk
    format, a linear descendant of the existing ODS-2 format.)

  o JAVA Development Kit (JDK).  Boot up and smell the coffee.  OpenVMS
    Alpha (only) now includes the JDK, for developing Java applications
    on OpenVMS Alpha.

  o OpenVMS Management Tools (OMT).  You can use Microsoft Windows NT or
    Windows 95 to easily manage your OpenVMS systems using an intuitive
    graphical interface; simply install the OMT toolkit on your Microsoft
    Windows system.

  o DECamds.  You can already manage your OpenVMS system or your network
    of VMScluster systems from any X Windows system using DECamds, now
    get the latest update.

  o Year 2000 support.  It's integrated.  Who needs an ECO kit?

  o Improved Windows NT Connectivity (Affinity).  Support for Registry,
    Events, and Security in support of Microsoft DCOM is included.  (Full
    Windows NT connectivity and fully-integrated DCOM support is expected
    to be included in the V7.2-EFT3 SDK.)

  o On-going performance enhancements.  We have continued our on-going
    work to improve your system and your VMScluster performance.

  o New networking options.  OpenVMS Alpha now includes support for new
    networking adapters.

  o Per-threads security.  You wanted the ability to split a single
    application across multiple parallel threads of execution, with each
    thread running on a seperate processor in an SMP system, and to have
    a seperate security context for each thread.

  o Smaller disk cluster factors.  You wanted smaller disk cluster factors
    on your bigger disk volumes and your bigger RAID arrays -- to make
    better use of your available disk storage -- and now you have it.

  o And DECnet Phase IV continues to be available...

  What's in the SDK CD-ROM for DIGITAL and for OpenVMS Engineering?  We
  get wider exposure of the OpenVMS V7.2 release than we receive through
  our directed field test sites.  And we get information and feedback and
  discussions going directly among a variety of folks like you -- our
  SDK customers.

  The discussion of the SDK, and any reports of any problems found while
  using the SDK, should be made to OpenVMS Engineering via the newsgroup:

      vmsnet.sdk.openvms.fieldtest

  And as with general newsgroup practice, any security-relevent problems
  should be forwarded directly to DIGITAL, and not posted to a newsgroup.

  We expect to be releasing the V7.2-EFT3 SDK in September 1998.  EFT3
  will include fully-integrated DCOM, including security and PATHWORKS
  support.  EFT3 is also expected to include support for Fibre Channel
  as a storage interconnect.

  How do you get the SDK?  When the SDK kits are made available in June
  1998, the CD-ROMs can be ordered by calling 1-800-DIGITAL, or can be
  ordered via the web at http://www.businesslink.digital.com/.  The SDK
  (EFT2 and EFT3) CD-ROMs will use the part number QA-MT3AD-H8, and a
  nominal charge of US$40 (each) will be applied.    Additional ordering
  information, as well as the current SDK shipment status, will be made
  available around the end of May 1998, via the OpenVMS Web Page:

    http://www.openvms.digital.com/

  Also: we are looking for suggestions and requests for features that
  you want to see included in our next major OpenVMS release past V7.2.
  You can post these, or forward them via email.

 -------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------

  note to those folks not contributing spam -- there is no ZZ in my address

Post by mat.. » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00

>  o OpenVMS Galaxy.  You've heard about it, now you can try it.

Not on any hardware I'm ever likely to see here. Still, it's good that
it's being released.

Quote:

>  o Heterogeneous File Support (HFS).  You wanted deeper directories,
>    longer file names, and a much wider variety of characters within
>    file names.  The SDK includes RMS, MOUNT, DCL, DECnet, and XQP
>    support for HFS on OpenVMS Alpha.  (HFS provides the ODS-5 on-disk
>    format, a linear descendant of the existing ODS-2 format.)

Sounds good.

Quote:

>  o JAVA Development Kit (JDK).  Boot up and smell the coffee.  OpenVMS
>    Alpha (only) now includes the JDK, for developing Java applications
>    on OpenVMS Alpha.

Is it easier to debug on OpenVMS than C++, or is it still, "look up that
mangled name in another window every five seconds"?  Does it compile to
native code, or just to java code?

Quote:

>  o OpenVMS Management Tools (OMT).  You can use Microsoft Windows NT or
>    Windows 95 to easily manage your OpenVMS systems using an intuitive
>    graphical interface; simply install the OMT toolkit on your Microsoft
>    Windows system.

windows NT machines limping along.

Which brings up an interesting question - why doesn't VMS come with a
Windows (not X11) graphical interface?  It wouldn't be the first time that
VMS has swapped GUIs (VWS->X11, remember?).  Ideally Compaq might
license the rights to the GUI part of WNT (not the rest of it, shudder)
and bolt that onto VMS, preferably through some shim which runs/translates
WNT graphic card drivers.  We don't have to lose the X11 stuff, DEC already
owns eXcursion, so put that on top.  Since I still use X11 almost entirely
as a bunch of terminal windows, the X11->Windows shift would be no shift at
all for 99% of my work.

Now is an ideal time to broach the subject with Microsoft, something along
the lines of "Gee, I wonder if the Justice Department would be interested
in the details of all of the deals that Digital management made with you,
and by the way, wouldn't you like to license us the windows GUI rather than
have us publicly explore just how it was that WNT ended up so much like
VMS..."

Anyway, another reason to do this is that Compaq (ex Digital) could then
get out of the business of building graphic adapters (I doubt Digital ever
made much money in that field, heck, even SGI is being eaten alive), and it
would:

 A.  Open up the number of available graphics cards for VMS systems to
     match those on WNT systems.  (And yes, on average they would be every
     bit as buggy as those on WNT, which isn't to say that VMS engineering
     might not "bless" some small subset as the officially supported
     options.)

 B.  Make it somewhat more attractive to develop GUI software for
     VMS machines.  Now if you want to migrate a Windows application to
     VMS you have to use Wind/U, which has a license charge per application
     and per user.  His Gatesness may charge $150 per console or
     some such thing in royalties for the use of Windows over VMS, but
     at least that's a one time fee per usable seat, and is in any case
     not a very sizeable sum compared to the already insanely high price
     one pays now for VMS licenses.

 C.  Make it at least conceivable that somebody might develop WinFrame
     (or whatever they're calling it these days) software which is served/
     cliented from VMS.  I mean, if you're going to serve from VMS,
     wouldn't it be convenient if you could also client on the same machine.
     For development/testing it would be a big plus.

 D.  Give somebody an opportunity to show the world that it is possible
     to build an OS under Windows which can be reliably backed up while
     running, and won't blue screen when sneezed upon.

<SNIP>

Quote:

>  o Improved Windows NT Connectivity (Affinity).  Support for Registry,
>    Events,

666, back thing of evil!  If there is going to be any sort of registry
on OpenVMS, then please GOD make sure that it doesn't render the system
disk incapable of being safely backed up while running.

Quote:> and Security in support of Microsoft DCOM is included.  (Full
>    Windows NT connectivity and fully-integrated DCOM support is expected
>    to be included in the V7.2-EFT3 SDK.)

The only new connectivity I really want is an SMB client for VMS, which
should be possible given that a WNT volume should look just fine under the
new HFS. Will "full Windows NT connectivity" include such a client?

<SNIP>

Quote:

>  o Smaller disk cluster factors.  You wanted smaller disk cluster factors
>    on your bigger disk volumes and your bigger RAID arrays -- to make
>    better use of your available disk storage -- and now you have it.

Great!

Quote:

>  o And DECnet Phase IV continues to be available...

Good.

Also...

How about biting the bullet and fixing the 32k limit that still
pervades the OS?  It's *way* past time for QIO32 and all that entails.
At the very least, how about getting the C RTL to finally write STREAM-LF
files with valid RMS attributes, so that SORT will work correctly
on files made by C programs - without having to resort to /PROCESS=TAG
or other black magic.

Regards,

David Mathog

*   Affordable VMS? See:  http://seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu/www/pcvms.html   *

Post by Phillip Helb » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

> >  o OpenVMS Management Tools (OMT).  You can use Microsoft Windows NT or
> >    Windows 95 to easily manage your OpenVMS systems using an intuitive
> >    graphical interface; simply install the OMT toolkit on your Microsoft
> >    Windows system.

Is it safe to assume that I can continue to do everything with my VMS
system that I do now without ever having to use anything from Microsoft?
My main concern here is not fighting the Evil Empire (although that is a
valid goal) but simply the fact that I like the VMS look and feel.
Forcing every VMS system to be administered from Windows XX or WNT would
bring some additional revenue to Microsoft.  Based on past experience,
I'm sure that Microsoft wouldn't mind, and Digital might even let
themselves get duped into going along.  Also, any new VMS feature, like
say the Galaxy management, should of course not have to rely on anything
external to VMS.

--

Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories  Tel. ..... +44 1477 571 321 (ext. 297)
Jodrell Bank                           Fax ................. +44 1477 571 618

My opinions are not necessarily those of NRAL or the University of Manchester.

Post by Larry D Bohan, » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

>> >  o OpenVMS Management Tools (OMT).  You can use Microsoft Windows NT or
>> >    Windows 95 to easily manage your OpenVMS systems using an intuitive
>> >    graphical interface; simply install the OMT toolkit on your Microsoft
>> >    Windows system.

>Is it safe to assume that I can continue to do everything with my VMS
>system that I do now without ever having to use anything from Microsoft?
>My main concern here is not fighting the Evil Empire (although that is a
>valid goal) but simply the fact that I like the VMS look and feel.
>Forcing every VMS system to be administered from Windows XX or WNT would
>bring some additional revenue to Microsoft.  Based on past experience,
>I'm sure that Microsoft wouldn't mind, and Digital might even let
>themselves get duped into going along.  Also, any new VMS feature, like
>say the Galaxy management, should of course not have to rely on anything
>external to VMS.

the impression i got from the DFW presentation on these NT/OMT
management tools, was that customers (large customers?) were asking
for this sort of thing.

my initial reaction to these NT based OMT tools, was, "why on earth
would anyone want such a thing, in place of VMS's CLI, let alone
doing it from a flakey NT box ?"

but one possibility,cited, was that one could free up (some) system
managers' time, if the simpler UAF/user/queue-mgmt tasks could be
wrapped up in a GUI type tool, and handed off to a lead operator, or
PC helpdesk.

the direction DEC is taking w/ the OMT stuff, looked promising.

AMDS, Tape Libarians, and Datametric's ViewPoint;  stuff that
might've been done up w/ an X-windows interface in earlier days.

lbohan (at) DBC dot Com, voice/fax:719.488.1652
Larry D Bohan, c/o Data Broadcasting Corp
1900 S Norfolk, Ste #150, San Mateo CA 94403-1151

Announcing OpenVMS V7.2 Field Test SDK...

Post by Jan Vorbruegge » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> but one possibility,cited, was that one could free up (some) system
> managers' time, if the simpler UAF/user/queue-mgmt tasks could be
> wrapped up in a GUI type tool, and handed off to a lead operator, or
> PC helpdesk.

It's not a question that a GUI interface (especially if parameterizable/
customizable) is useful (IMO, more for inspecting and small modifications).
The pointis, why only a Win32 interface and not (in addition) a Motif
interface? Properly designed, it shouldn't be a problem to package all that
into a library (likely useful for many other, similar applications) that can
do both, and thus leave the decision of where to display/interact with the
application to the user.

        Jan

Announcing OpenVMS V7.2 Field Test SDK...

Post by Karen Byr » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>> >  o OpenVMS Management Tools (OMT).  You can use Microsoft Windows NT or
>> >    Windows 95 to easily manage your OpenVMS systems using an intuitive
>> >    graphical interface; simply install the OMT toolkit on your Microsoft
>> >    Windows system.

>Is it safe to assume that I can continue to do everything with my VMS
>system that I do now without ever having to use anything from Microsoft?
>My main concern here is not fighting the Evil Empire (although that is a
>valid goal) but simply the fact that I like the VMS look and feel.

My sentiments exactly! I already have to deal with that "intuitive"
gui directly with NT. Why would I want to be forced into using
it when the way VMS already looks and feels is part of what makes
it VMS for crying outloud!?

Karen Y. Byrd                           C511 Richards Bldg.
Systems Manager                         3700 Hamilton Wlk.
Univ. of Pa.                            Philadelphia, PA 19104-6062
School of Medicine                      Voice: 215/898-6865
Computing and Info. Tech.               Fax: 215/573-2277

Post by Brian Schenkenberger, VAXma » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

>> the impression i got from the DFW presentation on these NT/OMT
>> management tools, was that customers (large customers?) were asking
>> for this sort of thing.

>> my initial reaction to these NT based OMT tools, was, "why on earth
>> would anyone want such a thing, in place of VMS's CLI, let alone
>> doing it from a flakey NT box ?"

>> but one possibility,cited, was that one could free up (some) system
>> managers' time, if the simpler UAF/user/queue-mgmt tasks could be
>> wrapped up in a GUI type tool, and handed off to a lead operator, or
>> PC helpdesk.

> I consider that natural. If a company has 1 VMS expert and
> 20 PC experts. And the VMS expert have a week in bed because
> of illness, what then ?

> Many PC people are totally helpless at a DCL command prompt !

Many PC people are totally hapless!

--

OpenVMS APE certification number: AAA-0001

... and in the end, the money you take is equal to the money you make.

Announcing OpenVMS V7.2 Field Test SDK...

Post by Brian Schenkenberger, VAXma » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

>> but one possibility,cited, was that one could free up (some) system
>> managers' time, if the simpler UAF/user/queue-mgmt tasks could be
>> wrapped up in a GUI type tool, and handed off to a lead operator, or
>> PC helpdesk.

> It's not a question that a GUI interface (especially if parameterizable/
> customizable) is useful (IMO, more for inspecting and small modifications).
> The pointis, why only a Win32 interface and not (in addition) a Motif
> interface?

Simple answer: Digital mgt!

They've too much devotion to and/or spend too much time cuddling up with
bgInc.  One day, they will wake up, after the bgInc. trouserschnitzel is
tired of sodomizing them, and they'll be kicked out of the bgInc. bedroom
suite like some sleazy watering-hole trollop.  Wham-bam-thank-you-DEC.

Quote:> Properly designed, it shouldn't be a problem to package all that
> into a library (likely useful for many other, similar applications) that can
> do both, and thus leave the decision of where to display/interact with the
> application to the user.

There you go thinking logically!  Sales and mgt. folks can't do that as they
typically have an unfortunate debilitating mental process which yields an IQ
level dwarfed by the sum of their age and their shoe size.
--

Post by D.We » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

>> the impression i got from the DFW presentation on these NT/OMT
>> management tools, was that customers (large customers?) were asking
>> for this sort of thing.

>> my initial reaction to these NT based OMT tools, was, "why on earth
>> would anyone want such a thing, in place of VMS's CLI, let alone
>> doing it from a flakey NT box ?"

>> but one possibility,cited, was that one could free up (some) system
>> managers' time, if the simpler UAF/user/queue-mgmt tasks could be
>> wrapped up in a GUI type tool, and handed off to a lead operator, or
>> PC helpdesk.

>I consider that natural. If a company has 1 VMS expert and
>20 PC experts. And the VMS expert have a week in bed because
>of illness, what then ?

>Many PC people are totally helpless at a DCL command prompt !

>                                                      Arne

Just as a matter of interest is this "Manage the VMS system from a PC"
confined to VMS. ie are Digital bringing out similar products to
"Manage Digital UNIX from a PC".

I would think that any PC expert who would be fazed by DCL will have
a heart attack when faced with UNIX. ( at least with VMS you can use HELP
and get some reasonable answers ).

As to wrapping up simpler tasks in a GUI - why a GUI ???
Most system managers will already have written scripts to add users, remove
users etc which will be heavily customised to usage at their site.
These simple "commands" will be documented and will be being run by operators
on a daily basis anyway.
As a system manager ( apart from ocassional specials ) I do not create user
accounts directly using authorize - that job is left to our operators
(via DCL scripts which I wrote).
Any system manager who is directly creating users and performing these other
simple tasks must be running a very lightly used/unchanging system.

This reminds me of the attempt in the late eighties to get system managers to
use a menu driven interface on the Micro-vax systems. Virtually noone used it.

I would predict that the same will be true of this new GUI PC interface.

PS.

In fact you probably want to free up system management resource on the PC side
rather than the VMS side. Whilst your 1 VMS expert is probably supporting half
a dozen systems successfully  your 20 PC people are probably struggling to
support a similar number of PC servers :)

David Webb
VMS and UNIX team leader
Middlesex University

Announcing OpenVMS V7.2 Field Test SDK...

>>Is it safe to assume that I can continue to do everything with my VMS
>>system that I do now without ever having to use anything from Microsoft?
>>My main concern here is not fighting the Evil Empire (although that is a
>>valid goal) but simply the fact that I like the VMS look and feel.

> My sentiments exactly! I already have to deal with that "intuitive"
> gui directly with NT. Why would I want to be forced into using
> it when the way VMS already looks and feels is part of what makes
> it VMS for crying outloud!?

Well Karen, start weeping and do so such that you peg the sound pressure
measuring devices at DEC.

Kiss your BookReader accessible on-line documentation goodbye and cherrish
it with fond memory.  Your documentation will now be in HTML format.  Not a
*bad* idea per se but the formatted look, feel, indexed BookReader on-line
capability has gone away -- walked off, hand in hand, with any DEC mgt com-
mon sense (assuming they had any) no doubt.

The CDs will be mountable on your laptop!  So, while the PC toting, martini
lapping, first class flying managers in your organization are jet-setting
off to some important golf match, they can peruse the VMS doc set instead of
letting the PC tic-tac-toe game beat them, hands down, each round.

--

OpenVMS APE certification number: AAA-0001

... and in the end, the money you take is equal to the money you make.

Announcing OpenVMS V7.2 Field Test SDK...

Post by news.caribsurf.co » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>the impression i got from the DFW presentation on these NT/OMT
>management tools, was that customers (large customers?) were asking
>for this sort of thing.

I definitely want it, as I prefer a GUI i/f to account management any day.

Quote:>my initial reaction to these NT based OMT tools, was, "why on earth
>would anyone want such a thing, in place of VMS's CLI, let alone
>doing it from a flakey NT box ?"

LOL - based on our experience over the past few weeks, where our VAX has
crashed at least once a week (we have yet to determine the cause, though we
suspect either the A1Mail system or TCPware), I'd say that in our case our
VAX/VMS box is considerably more "flakey" than our NT system, which is as
solid as a rock these days.

Brian Steele

Post by Terry Shanno » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

> > >  o OpenVMS Management Tools (OMT).  You can use Microsoft Windows NT or
> > >    Windows 95 to easily manage your OpenVMS systems using an intuitive
> > >    graphical interface; simply install the OMT toolkit on your Microsoft
> > >    Windows system.

> Is it safe to assume that I can continue to do everything with my VMS
> system that I do now without ever having to use anything from Microsoft?
> My main concern here is not fighting the Evil Empire (although that is a
> valid goal) but simply the fact that I like the VMS look and feel.
> Forcing every VMS system to be administered from Windows XX or WNT would
> bring some additional revenue to Microsoft.  Based on past experience,
> I'm sure that Microsoft wouldn't mind, and Digital might even let
> themselves get duped into going along.  Also, any new VMS feature, like
> say the Galaxy management, should of course not have to rely on anything
> external to VMS.

There's one potential benefit to relying on WNT for management
functions. A WNT workstation license costs a hell of a lot less
than does an OVMS workstation (remember those?) license.