DS25 dual power supplies - are they redundant

DS25 dual power supplies - are they redundant

Post by Andrew Rycro » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:13:08

Hi,

I have a DS25 with a single processor, and 1GB of memory running
OpenVMS. By default the systems come with 2 power supplies, and an
optional third for N+1 redundancy.

Will the dual power supplies I have currently provide redundancy, i.e.
do I really need two power supplies to drive 1CPU, and 1GB of memory ?
The DS25 technical summary is very confusing on this, and the response
I have received is confusing.

Thanks
Andrew

DS25 dual power supplies - are they redundant

Post by Islan » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:16:44

If the DS20e and DS25 are the same design, then you need 2 P/S for standard
running.
If one of the P/Supplies dies in the 2 P/S configuration, the system will
allow you a short period of time to prepare for shutdown (I thin about 30
minutes) or to replace it.
You really should get the third P/S as they run at about $500 - not much to
pay for the added security

DT

--
David B Turner
Island Computers US Corporation

http://www.hpaq.net

Post by Robert Deining » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:38:34

>Hi,

>I have a DS25 with a single processor, and 1GB of memory running
>OpenVMS. By default the systems come with 2 power supplies, and an
>optional third for N+1 redundancy.

>Will the dual power supplies I have currently provide redundancy, i.e.
>do I really need two power supplies to drive 1CPU, and 1GB of memory ?
>The DS25 technical summary is very confusing on this, and the response
>I have received is confusing.

Did you read the DS25 quickspecs?  That summary seems pretty clear to me.

If you have the older, low-power supplies, you need 2.  The third supply
is redundant.  Unless you have more than 8 GB of memory, in which case the
third supply is mandatory.

If you have the newer, high-power supplies, 2 is the minimum and the third
is always redundant, no matter how much memory you install.

Who gave you the confusing response?  That ought to be fixed.

1. Redundant Power Supply on DS20E?

A customer is trying to ascertain that everything purchased
for three DS20E systems was actually delivered.

The quote for the three systems mentions three KN310-BCs, one for
each DS20E, and describes them as DS20E Redundant Power Supplies.

The AlphaServer DS20E/AlphaStation DS20E Reference Guide mentions
that a minimum of two power supplies are required, and a third may
be added for redundancy.

We're willing to open the systems up, but need to know what to look
for.

Thanks in advance,

--Jerry Leslie

P.S.: This site's security requires an account & password for outbound
      web access access, which I don't have.

2. Ebay- LAST DAY Fields of Fire by SSI for Apple II/IIGS

3. HSJ40 dual-redundant controller rolling firmware upgrade

4. Pepe

5. Dual Redundant Controller Failure on HSD30

6. NODE_DISCONNECT message?

7. EPLAIN now on FILESERV

8. Looking for 2nd power-supply for an AS2100

9. H7082 power supply

10. Personal WS 600 power supply

11. Power Supplies: VAXstation 4000/60 and (yes AND) DEC 3000/(300 IRRC)

12. InfoServer 1000 Power Supply