Alpha nr. 2 on list of supercomputers

Post by Dirk Mun » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 05:57:48

An Alpha SC system with 8192 CPU's on 1.25 GHz is the nr. 2 on the list of
supercomputers. It consists out of ES45 building blocks according to the article
in CT. The performance of the system is 13880 Teraflops, the performance of nr.
1 (a NEC system) is 35860 Teraflops. The Alpha belongs to the Los Alamos
National Laboratory.

There is also a Superdome 875 on the list, it is ranked as nr. 172.

Post by Mike Bartma » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:26:23

>An Alpha SC system with 8192 CPU's on 1.25 GHz is the nr. 2 on the list of
>supercomputers. It consists out of ES45 building blocks according to the article
>in CT. The performance of the system is 13880 Teraflops, the performance of nr.
>1 (a NEC system) is 35860 Teraflops. The Alpha belongs to the Los Alamos
>National Laboratory.

>There is also a Superdome 875 on the list, it is ranked as nr. 172.

You won't see the vast majority of that speed unless you are working
on a problem which is very nearly 100% parallel.  Amdahl's Law says
that even a little bit of serialness (like 3%-5%) in your problem will
make massive numbers of processors essentially useless in speeding up
the time to solution...in those cases what you need is a very few
really fast processors.

Of course, if you have a 100% parallel problem, the more processors,
the quicker you get an answer.

-- Mike

  To reply via e-mail, remove the 'foolie.' from the address.
  I'm getting sick of all the SPAM...

1. HP gains on supercomputer list

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-965923.html

     Hardware
     HP gains on supercomputer list

     By Stephen Shankland
     Special to ZDNet News
     November 15, 2002, 5:07 AM PT

    A supercomputer for simulating nuclear explosions
    has advanced Hewlett-Packard's position in a
    ranking to be released Thursday night of the 500
    fastest supercomputers.

    Two segments of HP's ASCI Q system, built as part of
    the Energy Department's Advanced Simulation and
    Computing program to substitute computer calculations
    for full-fledged nuclear tests, took the second and
    third spots in the ranking.

    The new systems, being built at Los Alamos National
    Laboratory, bumped IBM's ASCI White two spots
    down the list. NEC's Earth Simulator remains No. 1,
    with nearly five times the total computing power of each
    ASCI Q segment.

  <more>

  I've forgotten, but isn't ASCI-Q an Alpha system?

  If so, someone might want to post a "Talkback"
  or write to the author.

  Atlant

2. security?

3. Big Alpha Supercomputer announced

4. When do I need an OPI server?

5. Summary: list of lists, list of FTP sites

6. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 1/2

7. IBM wins supercomputer deal, DELL wants in too.

8. Problems connecting to internet with Irix 6.2

9. Yahoo - IBM unseated in new supercomputer ranking

10. AMD Supercomputer - The Phantom "growing" Menace

11. HP Powers More TOP500 Supercomputers

12. HP To Build (Linux/IA64) Supercomputer For DoE

13. FA: Digital DEC H4000 Ethernet Transceiver NIB NR