NEWSRDR 4.9-2 and/or nntp server Y2K glitch

NEWSRDR 4.9-2 and/or nntp server Y2K glitch

Post by David Matho » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

As of Jan 1 newsrdr 4.9-2 won't work with our campus nntp server.
Newsrdr thinks all newsgroups are new every time it starts.
When it finishes loading the entire list of newsgroups it lists
the article ranges like [1234,0], that is, no readable articles.

My guess is that it's at the server end, but can't say for sure.

Anybody else seeing this? (In which case you're probably not reading
this message with NEWSRDR!)

Anybody know a fix?  If so, please email me directly as I'm going to be
news impaired until this is repaired.

Thanks,

David Mathog

NEWSRDR 4.9-2 and/or nntp server Y2K glitch

Post by Peter LANGSTOEG » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>As of Jan 1 newsrdr 4.9-2 won't work with our campus nntp server.
>Newsrdr thinks all newsgroups are new every time it starts.
>When it finishes loading the entire list of newsgroups it lists
>the article ranges like [1234,0], that is, no readable articles.

>My guess is that it's at the server end, but can't say for sure.

I second that.
How about TIN, NETSCAPE, MXRN or even TELNET (if you know NNTP) ?

Quote:>Anybody else seeing this? (In which case you're probably not reading
>this message with NEWSRDR!)

Nope. My 4.9-2 has no problems.

But our NNTP server (DNEWS) has problems since a few weeks ago a bug in
most of our upstream NNTP servers (all INN) introduced corrupted postings
(bad CRLF pairs, to much CRLF, stripped reference headers, ...). So until
INN is fixed (done), no corrupted postings come in any longer (done ?),
and existing corruptions timeout in a few days/weeks, we have problems
with NEWS, too. NETWINSITE is working on a new DNEWS version to get our
problems solved more quickly (Note: it is not really a bug of DNEWS),
but I've still the problem, that threaded reading with NEWSRDR is
currently almost impossible (if it encounters a corrupted posting with
"DIR" or "READ" it enters a endless loop - but reading the posting
with the number is no problem).

BUT: I had (and have) problems with NEWSRDR by exporting/importing a
NEWSRC file (to get in synch with TIN and MXRN). If I have too much
unseen postings in a group (more than say 200) and if I read them threaded
but not in one session, then I get problems with the NEWSRC file (gets
too wide and maybe truncated at input).

In such cases, if I enter NEWSRDR it tells me of say 300 unseen postings
in say 10 groups but after reading some of them no more postings are there.
"UPDATE/PARTIAL" then lists nothing, but UPDATE lists them. Only fix so far
is to delete the NEWSRC file before entering NEWSRDR. Maybe you should
check for similar NEWSRDR limitations !!
Matt is obviously too busy to fix such old tools (I vote for MX, too)
--
Peter "EPLAN" LANGSTOEGER           Tel.    +43 1 81111-2651
Network and OpenVMS system manager  Fax.    +43 1 81111-888

<<< KAPSCH AG  Wagenseilgasse 1     PSImail PSI%(0232)281001141::EPLAN
A-1121 VIENNA  AUSTRIA              "I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist"
"VMS is today what Microsoft wants Windows NT V8.0 to be!" Compaq, 22-Sep-1998

NEWSRDR 4.9-2 and/or nntp server Y2K glitch

Post by Ed Wensell II » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Don't think this will help, but I'm running NEWSRDR 4.8-5 hitting on a
Netscape Collabra 3.51 server without any trouble. No problems as in
once I read messages in my subscribed groups, they stay read and an
UPDATE command does not result in any new groups listed.

Out of curiosity, have you tried hitting on your NNTP server with
different news readers in an attempt to isolate whether it's a server or
client problem?

The last time I saw a message range like you describe was after I had
improperly wiped out my server spool. New messages were basically reset
back at 0 and the clients had much higher "last read" numbers. Threw
users for a loop until the spool caught up or I assisted in resetting
their client.

--

Until soon...
Ed Wensell III

Post by Dave Pickle » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> As of Jan 1 newsrdr 4.9-2 won't work with our campus nntp server.
> Newsrdr thinks all newsgroups are new every time it starts.
> When it finishes loading the entire list of newsgroups it lists
> the article ranges like [1234,0], that is, no readable articles.

> My guess is that it's at the server end, but can't say for sure.

> Anybody else seeing this? (In which case you're probably not reading
> this message with NEWSRDR!)

> Anybody know a fix?  If so, please email me directly as I'm going to be
> news impaired until this is repaired.

> Thanks,

> David Mathog

Is the server running CNEWS by any chance?

There is a known problem with the NEWGROUPS and NEWNEWS commands on CNEWS
which give the effect you describe. A fix was posted to uk.comp.os.linux
in mid-December, DejaNews should be able to find it faster than I can.

Dave Pickles

NEWSRDR 4.9-2 and/or nntp server Y2K glitch

Post by David Matho » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> As of Jan 1 newsrdr 4.9-2 won't work with our campus nntp server.
> Newsrdr thinks all newsgroups are new every time it starts.
> When it finishes loading the entire list of newsgroups it lists
> the article ranges like [1234,0], that is, no readable articles.

> My guess is that it's at the server end, but can't say for sure.

> Anybody else seeing this? (In which case you're probably not reading
> this message with NEWSRDR!)

I think I found the problem.  The campus newserver is an ancient
version of INN (1.4 something from 1996).  Go to

   http://www.isc.org/products/INN/

and you'll find that they were still fixing Y2K bugs in INN as recently
as last month.  The current version is 2.2.2.  John Nebel tells me that
INN 1.7.2 works ok if you first delete the newsrdr profile file.
That fix did not work with our version of INN though.

David Mathog

NEWSRDR 4.9-2 and/or nntp server Y2K glitch

Post by Carl Karch » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

->Hi all,
->
->As of Jan 1 newsrdr 4.9-2 won't work with our campus nntp server.
->Newsrdr thinks all newsgroups are new every time it starts.
->When it finishes loading the entire list of newsgroups it lists
->the article ranges like [1234,0], that is, no readable articles.
->
->My guess is that it's at the server end, but can't say for sure.
->

If the server is running INN then this may apply:

From the INN homepage at http://www.isc.org/products/INN/

  INN Version 2.2.2, December 13th, 1999

  Version 2.2.2 is now available...

  ...This is a bug-fix release that corrects a y2k bug in 2.2.1 that
  will show up in the NEWNEWS and NEWGROUPS commands after
  2000-01-01 00:00:00 when the date specified to the command is
  before 2000-01-01 00:00:00

Post by Ellis E Hardi » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

!> As of Jan 1 newsrdr 4.9-2 won't work with our campus nntp server.
!> Newsrdr thinks all newsgroups are new every time it starts.
!> When it finishes loading the entire list of newsgroups it lists
!> the article ranges like [1234,0], that is, no readable articles.
!>
!
!I think I found the problem.  The campus newserver is an ancient
!version of INN (1.4 something from 1996).  Go to
!
!   http://www.isc.org/products/INN/
!
!and you'll find that they were still fixing Y2K bugs in INN as recently
!as last month.  The current version is 2.2.2.  John Nebel tells me that
!INN 1.7.2 works ok if you first delete the newsrdr profile file.
!That fix did not work with our version of INN though.

        That seems to be the problem.  My university is running version
1.5.1 of the INN news server.  I tried using a new profile, also, but it
didn't work.  I'm using TIN right now on the local free net.

--

1. Wanted: NNTP-Posting Tool (VMS 5.5-2/UCX 3.1/3.3)

 Hi there!

I hope some helpful soul can point me to the right direction on my quest
for some DCL-"Autopost"-Tool letting me post a textfile via NNTP to a
newsgroup on a NNTP- newsserver.

It must not require any interactive user input when posting and posting
this file is everything this tool needs to be able to do. No newsreading
etc.

We've got no C-compiler on our System (VMS 5.5-2, UCX 3.1/soon 3.3), so
I need it as a binary.

Is there anything like this available?

Thanks for any hint!

Thomas

--
Thomas Schwarz
7.sys GmbH, Medienallee 7, 85767 Unterfoehring

2. how to estimate the number of rows with Index server ?

3. VMS 5.5-2 Y2K question

4. WTB: Transceiver

5. VMS 5.5-2 Y2K Compliancy

6. US amos support BBS

7. y2k issue VMS 6.1 and 5.5-2

8. Recovering lost passwords on a 1003

9. Y2K FOR INGRES 6.4-03 ON VMS 5.5-2 is ok!!!

10. 5.5-2 Y2K patch bug

11. Which part of VMS 5.5-2 is *not* Y2K OK?

12. FTP source for VMS 5.5-2 Y2K files

13. y2k issue VMS 6.1 and 5.5-2