Standard Digital Markup Language (SDML) DTD ?

Standard Digital Markup Language (SDML) DTD ?

Post by Alde » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:42:46

Anyone know if there is a public one out there somewhere and where to find
it ?

Thanks,

Alder

Post by Larry Kilgall » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:08:24

> Anyone know if there is a public one out there somewhere and where to find
> it ?

I have no idea what a DTD is, but...

...I believe the only implementation of SDML is DEC Document, available
from and maintained by Touch Technologies.

Standard Digital Markup Language (SDML) DTD ?

Post by Alde » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:10:07

Thanks, Larry.

The DTD, or Document Type Definition, is merely a formal definition of the
tags and attributes of a markup language.  For example, the DTD for the
XHTML 1.0 Strict looks like this:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xhtml1-20020801/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd

I was hoping someone with DECdocument experience could point me to a similar
document reference.  Googling has produced no results.

Thanks again,

Alder

Post by Hoff Hoffm » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:46:51

:The DTD, or Document Type Definition, is merely a formal definition of the
:tags and attributes of a markup language.

  I am not aware of any publicly available DTD for DECdocument.  Manuals,
  certainly, but DIGITAL never offered a DTD for the package.  (There
  were some converters around that skirted this area and may well have
  had internal DTD-like structures.)

  Being at least partitially TeX based, you might also be able to prise
  at least some certain related information out of the product TeX files.

  You might want to discuss this with Touch Technologies, the owners of
  DECdocument -- I do not know if the Touch folks follow the newsgroups
  -- as Touch would know what is presently available in this area:

    http://www.ttinet.com/tti/decdocument.html

 ---------------------------- #include <rtfaq.h> -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
 --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
        Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman   OpenVMS Engineering   hoff[at]hp.com

Post by Alde » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 04:50:20

> :The DTD, or Document Type Definition, is merely a formal definition of the
> :tags and attributes of a markup language.

>   I am not aware of any publicly available DTD for DECdocument.  Manuals,
>   certainly, but DIGITAL never offered a DTD for the package.  (There
>   were some converters around that skirted this area and may well have
>   had internal DTD-like structures.)

>   Being at least partitially TeX based, you might also be able to prise
>   at least some certain related information out of the product TeX files.

>   You might want to discuss this with Touch Technologies, the owners of
>   DECdocument -- I do not know if the Touch folks follow the newsgroups
>   -- as Touch would know what is presently available in this area:

>     http://www.ttinet.com/tti/decdocument.html

Thanks, Hoff.

OK, so this little project of mine is not going to be easy. :-)

What I am after is a more-or-less comprehensive list of SDML tags and
attributes, preferably in an ASCII text file.  Using this file, I should
be able to build a simple plugin for the well-known HTML editor,
HTML-Kit, allowing authors to write SDML with colorized tags and attributes.

I don't have access to a DECdocument installation to review the TeX
files as you suggest, so I'm asking c.o.v. readers to either:

a) send me SDML source documents which I can parse into a tag list
b) send me tag lists from other sources, like the DECdocument docs.

Better yet, if there is already a Windows-based editor out there which
can colorize SDML tags and attributes, or otherwise make it easier to
build SDML source files, I'd love to hear about them.

Cheers,

Alder

1. SDCL - Structured Digital Command Language

I've put a distribution of SDCL onto sourceforge.net for download and
further development by the OpenVMS Open Source community.

The project is available at:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sdcl/

and is the first of many more of my projects that will be placed on
sourceforge to allow easier access to the code.

For those of you doing a lot of DCL hacking, you should probably look
at this.  I find that my development cycles using SDCL vs. using DCL
are much shorter.

Use it in good health.

p.s. I'm looking for work.  If anybody has anything interesting, give
me a shout.  My resume's available at
http://www.acornsw.com/resume/dick.html

2. Grouping Features?

3. Open-source replacement for Digital Standard Runoff?

4. Xbox and Kenwood 507

5. Many of the Unix standard utilities should be standard on VMS too.

6. Port 24 (tcp) connections

7. Many of the Unix standard utilities should be standard on VM S too.

8. Need------.NET Developer @ Portland, OR.

9. DBL (Digital Business Language)

10. sdml to html

11. sdml to html converter?

12. Help: Documentation Files With A .SDML FileType?

13. Difference between Digital DLTape III and Digital CompacTape III?