interface (was: RE: Compaq Solutions Aliance - Do it still existing ?)

interface (was: RE: Compaq Solutions Aliance - Do it still existing ?)

Post by Phillip Helbi » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:01:41

Quote:> Windoz is a decent user interface, allowing you to be doing many things
> at the same time.  My interface to my VMS systems is SmarTerm, with
> large scroll back history, and many sessions, on a large color monitor.
> Beats the heck out of VTs, including the VT-525.  I have LK-411
> keyboards, didn't say I was stupid, just using windoz when it is a
> decent tool for the job.  Damn F14 key doesn't work, but that's a
> mapping issue, and Ctrl-A isn't too hard to remember.

My interface to my VMS systems is DECterm, with large scroll-back
history, and many sessions on a large colour monitor.  Beats the heck
out of VTs, including the VT-525.  I have proper keyboards, of course.
F14 works fine.

I also have a VT as the console.  This has many advantages over a
graphics console.

Post by Paddy O'Brie » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:38:32

>>Windoz is a decent user interface, allowing you to be doing many things
>>at the same time.  My interface to my VMS systems is SmarTerm, with
>>large scroll back history, and many sessions, on a large color monitor.
>>Beats the heck out of VTs, including the VT-525.  I have LK-411
>>keyboards, didn't say I was stupid, just using windoz when it is a
>>decent tool for the job.  Damn F14 key doesn't work, but that's a
>>mapping issue, and Ctrl-A isn't too hard to remember.

> My interface to my VMS systems is DECterm, with large scroll-back
> history, and many sessions on a large colour monitor.  Beats the heck
> out of VTs, including the VT-525.  I have proper keyboards, of course.
> F14 works fine.

> I also have a VT as the console.  This has many advantages over a
> graphics console.

I second Phillip's remarks.  I have on my desk a VAXstation 4000-60 and
a DEC 3000 Model 400.  Each has a 21" monitor, and I connect to all six
of the machines under my control.  (I'm a last ditch attempt at keeping
VMS alive here.)

I keep privileged DECterms of each machine on my VAXstation and user
sessions where I develop on my DEC 3000.  I also use the VAXstation to
run my DECwindows debug sessions from the Alphas.  This means that I can
watch (particularly graphics) on my Alpha as I step through debug code
displayed on my VAXstation.

Who the hell needs windoze?  It's a *y lousy interface, particularly
when you have to battle with the way different emulators handle GKS code
(and see Vaxman's thread on graphics sequences).  And all my keys work
correctly.  LK401 keyboards.

VMS does not just run on VTs.

Regards, Paddy

"This electronic message and any attachments may contain privileged
and confidential information intended only for the use of the
addressees named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this email, please delete the message and any attachment and advise
the sender.  You are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, reproduction of this email is prohibited.

If you have received the email in error, please notify TransGrid
immediately.  Any views expressed in this email are those of the
individual sender except where the sender expressly and with
authority states them to be the views of TransGrid.  TransGrid uses
virus scanning software but excludes any liability for viruses
contained in any attachment.

Please note the email address for TransGrid personnel is now