using VAX/VMS DECwindows server for UNIX X11R5 clients

using VAX/VMS DECwindows server for UNIX X11R5 clients

Post by Tony Sil » Sat, 20 Nov 1993 02:21:05

Can anyone tell me what I need to obtain and/or do in order to
convince a DECwindows server on a VAX/VMS system to accept/display
X11R5 clients from UNIX machines (Suns and SGIs)? I know very little
about VMS (although I like to think I know a fair amount about UNIX
:-)), but so far I have the following in place on the VAX:

        - standalone DECwindows operation (local VMS clients)
        - DECnet up and running (at least according to the boot message -- I
          don't have any other VAXes to talk to)
        - a reliable Ethernet transeiver cable connecting the VAX to my main
          network (many Suns, an SGI, FastPaths, etc.)

Do I need any additional software (e.g., Wollongong WIN/TCP) to
provide an alternative transport layer (viz., TCP/IP instead of
DECnet)?

Just for kicks, blindly following the DECwindows User's Guide, I used
the DECwindows Session Manager's "Customize Security" dialog to set up
the following minimally-restrictive entry:

        Node:           *
        Username:       *
        Transport:      TCPIP

I also entered (and propagated) the VAX Ethernet address and host (VMS
node) name in my main Sun's NIS "ethers" file and an IP address in the
corresponding NIS "hosts" file.  As I expected, when I ran a simple X
client on the Sun with "-display <vax_host_name>:0.0", there were no
complaints from the Sun, but nothing appeared on the active DECwindows
display. If the TCP support isn't included in DECwindows, why do they
mention the config option "Transport: TCPIP" without mentioning the
additional software which is required?  Did I miss something obvious
in the documentation?

Can some kind soul provide me with some pointers on how to do what I
want (or reasons why I can't)?  Since I've been doing sysadmin stuff
under UNIX for about 7 years, I have no fear of complicated answers.
Please respond to me directly, as I do not normally read news.

TIA.

Tony Silva                              tel:      (617)890-4200
Atlantic Aerospace Electronics Corp.    FAX:      (617)890-0224

Waltham, MA 02154

Post by ober.. » Sat, 20 Nov 1993 05:53:21

>Can anyone tell me what I need to obtain and/or do in order to
>convince a DECwindows server on a VAX/VMS system to accept/display
>X11R5 clients from UNIX machines (Suns and SGIs)? I know very little
>about VMS (although I like to think I know a fair amount about UNIX
>:-)), but so far I have the following in place on the VAX:

[..details deleted...]

Quote:>Can some kind soul provide me with some pointers on how to do what I
>want (or reasons why I can't)?  Since I've been doing sysadmin stuff
>under UNIX for about 7 years, I have no fear of complicated answers.
>Please respond to me directly, as I do not normally read news.

You will need a TCP/IP package such as TGV MultiNet or UCX from DEC. If teh
only IP functionallity you will use on the VAXen is X, you can install DEC's
UCX package. The portion needed for X does not require a license. (Other parts
do.) You will need an IP address for the VAX.

The security setup you have is pretty open, but should work OK. IP does not
include username, so that field must e a "*", but you can put the IP address
of remote nodes into the node field.

Once that is all done, just fire up the clients with the display set to the VMS
box. Or "setenv DISPLAY node:0.0".

R. Kevin Oberman                        Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Disclaimer: Being a know-it-all isn't easy. It's especially tough when you
don't know that much. But I'll keep trying. (Both)

using VAX/VMS DECwindows server for UNIX X11R5 clients

Post by Mighty Firebreathe » Sat, 20 Nov 1993 18:58:00

Quote:>Can anyone tell me what I need to obtain and/or do in order to
>convince a DECwindows server on a VAX/VMS system to accept/display
>X11R5 clients from UNIX machines (Suns and SGIs)? I know very little
>about VMS (although I like to think I know a fair amount about UNIX
>:-)), but so far I have the following in place on the VAX:

>    - standalone DECwindows operation (local VMS clients)
>    - DECnet up and running (at least according to the boot message -- I
>      don't have any other VAXes to talk to)
>    - a reliable Ethernet transeiver cable connecting the VAX to my main
>      network (many Suns, an SGI, FastPaths, etc.)

>Do I need any additional software (e.g., Wollongong WIN/TCP) to
>provide an alternative transport layer (viz., TCP/IP instead of
>DECnet)?

        Yes, you do.  I'd suggest MultiNet from TGV, Inc. rather than

Quote:>Just for kicks, blindly following the DECwindows User's Guide, I used
>the DECwindows Session Manager's "Customize Security" dialog to set up
>the following minimally-restrictive entry:

>    Node:           *
>    Username:       *
>    Transport:      TCPIP

>I also entered (and propagated) the VAX Ethernet address and host (VMS
>node) name in my main Sun's NIS "ethers" file and an IP address in the
>corresponding NIS "hosts" file.  As I expected, when I ran a simple X
>client on the Sun with "-display <vax_host_name>:0.0", there were no
>complaints from the Sun, but nothing appeared on the active DECwindows
>display. If the TCP support isn't included in DECwindows, why do they
>mention the config option "Transport: TCPIP" without mentioning the
>additional software which is required?  Did I miss something obvious
>in the documentation?

>Can some kind soul provide me with some pointers on how to do what I
>want (or reasons why I can't)?  Since I've been doing sysadmin stuff
>under UNIX for about 7 years, I have no fear of complicated answers.
>Please respond to me directly, as I do not normally read news.

        Both DECnet and TCP/IP are extra cost options with VMS.  DECnet is
available from DEC.  TCP/IP is available from DEC or third parties.  The
documentation assumes that you know this.  Perhaps it should not make this
assumption (don't get me started on the assumptions in Unix
"documentation").

        If you feel that the documenation should not make this assumption,
fill out the "Reader Comment" page at the back of the manual and say so.
Be as specific as possible; cite page numbers, paragraphs, offer suggested
wording etc.

        You can expect some problems with Silicon Graphics workstations
displaying remotely.  Any application that is "pure X" will display just
fine.  Anything using SGS's Graphics Library will display only on another
machine running GL.

*                        Here, there be dragons!                        *

*                                                                       *
*       I'm job hunting.  Any offers or leads will be appreciated.      *
* Thanks!                                                               *
*                                                Richard B. Gilbert     *

Post by Reece R. Polla » Sun, 21 Nov 1993 02:29:21

|>>Can anyone tell me what I need to obtain and/or do in order to
|>>convince a DECwindows server on a VAX/VMS system to accept/display
|>>X11R5 clients from UNIX machines (Suns and SGIs)? I know very little
|>>about VMS (although I like to think I know a fair amount about UNIX
|>>:-)), but so far I have the following in place on the VAX:
|>
|>[..details deleted...]
|>
|>>Can some kind soul provide me with some pointers on how to do what I
|>>want (or reasons why I can't)?  Since I've been doing sysadmin stuff
|>>under UNIX for about 7 years, I have no fear of complicated answers.
|>>Please respond to me directly, as I do not normally read news.
|>
|>You will need a TCP/IP package such as TGV MultiNet or UCX from DEC. If teh
|>only IP functionallity you will use on the VAXen is X, you can install DEC's
|>UCX package. The portion needed for X does not require a license. (Other parts
|>do.) You will need an IP address for the VAX.

Huh????  Why, when Tony mentioned Wollongong, did you edit that out and
say he needs Multinet or UCX? This smacks of a bias on your part. I know
you're a certified TGV groupie, but I don't think I've seen you be this
blatant before. Let me put back the "detail" you conveniently deleted:

Quote:>Do I need any additional software (e.g., Wollongong WIN/TCP) to
>provide an alternative transport layer (viz., TCP/IP instead of
>DECnet)?

As far as I am aware, all of the major TCP/IP implementations for VMS offer
an Xwindows transport. Wollongong certainly does.

--
Reece R. Pollack
Senior Software Engineer

Post by Reece R. Polla » Sun, 21 Nov 1993 02:40:34

|>Can anyone tell me what I need to obtain and/or do in order to
|>convince a DECwindows server on a VAX/VMS system to accept/display
|>X11R5 clients from UNIX machines (Suns and SGIs)? I know very little
|>about VMS (although I like to think I know a fair amount about UNIX
|>:-)), but so far I have the following in place on the VAX:

Last I checked, the DECwindows server was X11R4, although I believe
X11R5 is either in field test or shortly will be. If the clients are
R4 compatable you shouldn't have much trouble with them, but if they
depend on R5 features, you may run into trouble.

|>   - standalone DECwindows operation (local VMS clients)
|>   - DECnet up and running (at least according to the boot message -- I
|>     don't have any other VAXes to talk to)
|>   - a reliable Ethernet transeiver cable connecting the VAX to my main
|>     network (many Suns, an SGI, FastPaths, etc.)
|>
|>Do I need any additional software (e.g., Wollongong WIN/TCP) to
|>provide an alternative transport layer (viz., TCP/IP instead of
|>DECnet)?

There are some DECnet implementations for Unix floating around out there,
but the usual solution is to put the VAXen on par with the Unix boxes by
putting TCP/IP on them. WIN/TCP (now renamed PathWay for VMS) will do the
trick, but as far as I'm aware, all the major TCP/IP implementations for
VMS supply an Xwindows transport.

|>Just for kicks, blindly following the DECwindows User's Guide, I used
|>the DECwindows Session Manager's "Customize Security" dialog to set up
|>the following minimally-restrictive entry:
|>
|>   Node:           *
|>   Username:       *
|>   Transport:      TCPIP
|>
|>I also entered (and propagated) the VAX Ethernet address and host (VMS
|>node) name in my main Sun's NIS "ethers" file and an IP address in the
|>corresponding NIS "hosts" file.  As I expected, when I ran a simple X
|>client on the Sun with "-display <vax_host_name>:0.0", there were no
|>complaints from the Sun, but nothing appeared on the active DECwindows
|>display. If the TCP support isn't included in DECwindows, why do they
|>mention the config option "Transport: TCPIP" without mentioning the
|>additional software which is required?  Did I miss something obvious
|>in the documentation?

If I remember correctly, there is a mention of it buried somewhere in the
docset. They even go so far as to say that DECwindows isn't compatable with
other vendor's transports, which isn't true. Some of the vendors supply
their own transport, while others emulate UCX and use DEC's TCPIP transport.
Wollongong's product does both.

|>Can some kind soul provide me with some pointers on how to do what I
|>want (or reasons why I can't)?  Since I've been doing sysadmin stuff
|>under UNIX for about 7 years, I have no fear of complicated answers.
|>Please respond to me directly, as I do not normally read news.

Both posted and emailed.

--
Reece R. Pollack
Senior Software Engineer

using VAX/VMS DECwindows server for UNIX X11R5 clients

Post by Brian Tillm » Wed, 24 Nov 1993 18:20:56

[chomp]

>>Do I need any additional software (e.g., Wollongong WIN/TCP) to
>>provide an alternative transport layer (viz., TCP/IP instead of
>>DECnet)?

>    Yes, you do.  I'd suggest MultiNet from TGV, Inc. rather than

[chomp]

>>Can some kind soul provide me with some pointers on how to do what I
>>want (or reasons why I can't)?  Since I've been doing sysadmin stuff
>>under UNIX for about 7 years, I have no fear of complicated answers.
>>Please respond to me directly, as I do not normally read news.

>    Both DECnet and TCP/IP are extra cost options with VMS.

However, you do not need a license to run Digital's TCP/IP Services for VMS if
you wish to use only the DECwindows transport.  The software will install and
will start.  The installation guide for the product specifically mentions this
case.  If you install it without a license, TELNET and FTP won't work, but

$ set display/create/transport=tcpip/node=yourunixipaddress

will.

-----------------------------+--------------------------------

 4141 Eastern Ave., MS129    | Hey, I said this stuff myself.
 Grand Rapids, MI 49518-8727 | My company has no part in it.
-----------------------------+--------------------------------

1. Vax/VMS nfs client using UCX to SUN Solaris server...

All,
    I'm attempting to nfs mount a sun solaris (5.5.1)  filesystem on a VMS
(6.2) system using UCX (3.3) with some minor success.

    Using:

    UCX mount dnfs1: /host="sunhost" /path="/export/vaxspace"/system

I'm able to create directories, copy files, edit files on the nfs directory,
but when I try to access certain files (direct access),  the process hangs,
unable to even control-y out until I actually dismount the nfs device.   Has
anyone else use their VAX as a nfs client using UCX?   Is there a FAQ?

thanks
sbinyon

2. Siena spreadsheet function.

3. Help. Need Urgent Help On $$ViewTemplates

4. Help required - Configure NFS server (VMS) and NFS Client (Unix/NT)

5. sendmail 8.8.8 problem (?)

6. X windows - VMS server - Unix client

7. Rotate values on x-axis?

8. Unix DTterm problems using VMS server

9. UCX NFS client to a UNIX server

10. Client-Server Toolsets for VAX/VMS

11. VAX/VMS NNTP SERVER/CLIENT

12. Determine IP Address of Server used by Telnet Client