VAX - VMS license transfer

Post by Daniel T. Burrow » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:24:47

How does a person go about transferring a commercial use VAX - VMS
license to a PC running VAX emulation software?

If it is possible what are the costs and ordering procedures?

Thanks
Dan

PS:   If this has been addressed recently please accept my appologies
as I have been off the list for a while.

VAX - VMS license transfer

Post by Larry Kilgall » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:02:22

Quote:> How does a person go about transferring a commercial use VAX - VMS
> license to a PC running VAX emulation software?

> If it is possible what are the costs and ordering procedures?

There is a web page describing it, that should be accessible via
http://www.openvms.compaq.com/ .

VAX - VMS license transfer

Post by Daniel T. Burrow » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:46:58

>> How does a person go about transferring a commercial use VAX - VMS
>> license to a PC running VAX emulation software?

>> If it is possible what are the costs and ordering procedures?

>There is a web page describing it, that should be accessible via
>http://www.openvms.compaq.com/ .

Thanks but the only related thing I could find there was:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/sri-charon-vax-emulator.html

There was nothing for any other VAX emulators.

VAX - VMS license transfer

Post by Rob Lyon » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:58:42

Quote:> Thanks but the only related thing I could find there was:
> http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/sri-charon-vax-emulator.html

> There was nothing for any other VAX emulators.

That's it, HP doesn't license their software on any other VAX emulator.

Rob Lyons
Resilientsys.com

VAX - VMS license transfer

Post by Stanley F. Quayl » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:08:04

Quote:> >>>How does a person go about transferring a commercial use VAX - VMS
> >http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/sri-charon-vax-emulator.html

> >There was nothing for any other VAX emulators.

CHARON-VAX is a product that was developed by SRI in cooperation with
HP (Compaq at the time).  Notice also on the same web page that
CHARON-VAX systems are eligible for OpenVMS software support from HP.
Many commercial users require software support, and so CHARON-VAX is
the only choice for commercial use.

--Stan Quayle
Quayle Consulting Inc.

----------
Stanley F. Quayle, P.E. N8SQ  +1 614-868-1363  Fax: +1 614 868-1671
8572 North Spring Ct. NW, Pickerington, OH  43147

VAX - VMS license transfer

Post by Daniel T. Burrow » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:04:08

The sites involved are not interested in HP - Compaq software support
as they are running older VMS distributions that are no longer
supported by HP.

Dan

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:08:04 -0400, "Stanley F. Quayle"

>> >http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/sri-charon-vax-emulator.html

>> >There was nothing for any other VAX emulators.

>CHARON-VAX is a product that was developed by SRI in cooperation with
>HP (Compaq at the time).  Notice also on the same web page that
>CHARON-VAX systems are eligible for OpenVMS software support from HP.
>Many commercial users require software support, and so CHARON-VAX is
>the only choice for commercial use.

>--Stan Quayle
>Quayle Consulting Inc.

>----------
>Stanley F. Quayle, P.E. N8SQ  +1 614-868-1363  Fax: +1 614 868-1671
>8572 North Spring Ct. NW, Pickerington, OH  43147

1. VAX - VMS license transfer

I do not believe any of the 'other' emulators have passed the suite of
actual HP hardware diagnostics, as Charon has, so HP most likely doesn't
view them as machines acceptable to run VMS, let alone transfer licenses
too for commercial purposes...

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr  *  Midwest Microwave  *  Vice President & CIO

2. Logs

3. VMS license transfer

4. Introducing VIDISolutions - Bringing Video E-mail to the Masses

5. VMS License Transfers?

6. Router, DNS, DHCP question

7. VMS Cluster license deletes VMS User Licence

8. Q: Next Service Documentation

9. License question: How can I tell if a license if Vax or Alpha

10. Is it possible to transfer Concurrent User license?

11. Transferring licenses?

12. file corruption in vax>pc>vax transfer?

13. VAX/VMS and WRQ file transfer