Another ? on GNV

Post by Bradford J. Hamilt » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:36:36

My manager asked me to remove GNV on one of the systems here at work today
(apparently, a previous employee installed it without permission).  Has anyone
had any experience with removing GNV?  I *know* that I sould be able to remove
it with PRODUCT REMOVE - I just want to know if anyone has had any problems
removing it.

I'll make a backup of the system disk before I try it, of course.       :-)

Bradford J. Hamilton                    "All opinions are my own"
bMradAhamiPltSon-at-atMtAbi.cPoSm       "Lose the MAPS, and replace

Another ? on GNV

Post by John E. Malmber » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:50:49

> My manager asked me to remove GNV on one of the systems here at work today
> (apparently, a previous employee installed it without permission).  Has anyone
> had any experience with removing GNV?  I *know* that I sould be able to remove
> it with PRODUCT REMOVE - I just want to know if anyone has had any problems
> removing it.

I have had no visible problems with using PRODUCT REMOVE on GNV.  I did
not inspect the results as I then installed a pre-release version.

Quote:> I'll make a backup of the system disk before I try it, of course.  :-)

Of course there is a matter of finding any command files that are now
using GNV utilities.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

Another ? on GNV

Post by Bradford J. Hamilt » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:08:01

>> My manager asked me to remove GNV on one of the systems here at work today
>> (apparently, a previous employee installed it without permission).  Has anyone
>> had any experience with removing GNV?  I *know* that I sould be able to remove
>> it with PRODUCT REMOVE - I just want to know if anyone has had any problems
>> removing it.

>I have had no visible problems with using PRODUCT REMOVE on GNV.  I did
>not inspect the results as I then installed a pre-release version.

Thanks, John.  I successfully removed the product, first applying Thomas
Pauli's suggestion of $set proc/parse=ext.

Quote:

>> I'll make a backup of the system disk before I try it, of course.      :-)

>Of course there is a matter of finding any command files that are now
>using GNV utilities.

$bash now raises an error message, but I'm assuming this will go away upon
reboot; if not, I'll have to do some looking around.

Thanks to all for help, suggestions on GNV.

Post by John E. Malmber » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:23:09

> Thanks, John.  I successfully removed the product, first applying Thomas
> Pauli's suggestion of $set proc/parse=ext.

>>Of course there is a matter of finding any command files that are now
>>using GNV utilities.

> $bash now raises an error message, but I'm assuming this will go away upon
> reboot; if not, I'll have to do some looking around.

I kind of doubt that rebooting will fix that since bash is a component
supplied by GNV :-)

-John

Personal Opinion Only

Another ? on GNV

Post by Bart Zor » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:32:10

BASH gets probably installed as a DCL command verb. PRODUCT REMOVE does
not undo that.

You could do:

$ SET COMMAND/INPUT=SYS$LIBRARY:DCLTABLES.EXE-
   /OUTPUT=SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]DCLTABLES.EXE BASH/DELETE

Then do a INSTALL/REPLACE SYS$LIBRARY:DCLTABLES.EXE or a reboot.

Bart Zorn

>> Thanks, John.  I successfully removed the product, first applying Thomas
>> Pauli's suggestion of $set proc/parse=ext.

>>> Of course there is a matter of finding any command files that are now
>>> using GNV utilities.

>> $bash now raises an error message, but I'm assuming this will go away
>> upon
>> reboot; if not, I'll have to do some looking around.

> I kind of doubt that rebooting will fix that since bash is a component
> supplied by GNV :-)

> -John

> Personal Opinion Only

Another ? on GNV

Post by Bradford J. Hamilt » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:18:02

>BASH gets probably installed as a DCL command verb. PRODUCT REMOVE does
>not undo that.

>You could do:

>$ SET COMMAND/INPUT=SYS$LIBRARY:DCLTABLES.EXE-
>   /OUTPUT=SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]DCLTABLES.EXE BASH/DELETE

>Then do a INSTALL/REPLACE SYS$LIBRARY:DCLTABLES.EXE or a reboot.

>Bart Zorn

Thanks for reminding me; I was supposed to fix this.  It was actually a symbol
defined in SYLOGIN; I removed it.  I'm still new in this particular job, and
I'm still trying to get a handle on the environment.

<snip>

Bradford J. Hamilton                    "All opinions are my own"
bMradAhamiPltSon-at-coMmcAast.nPeSt     "Lose the MAPS, and replace