Need help in reading mail on VAX

Post by gam.. » Wed, 14 Sep 1994 21:12:42

Hi,
        I have a question about reading mail on my vax account.
1.      I've got a PPP connection plus some nice mail programs (windows)
to read mail. But when I enter my host name and address as the mail
server it say cannot open POP mail. What should I enter for the
host address as the mail server? (I wish I can buy one of those idiot's
books)

2. My friend tells me our vac account does not have POP mail system
so that I cannot read mail over the network connection unless I transfer
my mail to another system where I have POP mail system. Is this true?

3. If yes for Q.2 then is there a way to transfer may mail to the second
account (I do have a account on a unix machine which has POP mail)
automatically? So that I don't have worry about trasferring by myself
each time.

Can anyone of you please help me???
I appreciate all of your input very much....

Thanks in Advance

Gamini

Need help in reading mail on VAX

Post by J.. » Thu, 15 Sep 1994 03:38:02

Quote:>    I have a question about reading mail on my vax account.
>1.  I've got a PPP connection plus some nice mail programs (windows)
>to read mail. But when I enter my host name and address as the mail
>server it say cannot open POP mail. What should I enter for the
>host address as the mail server? (I wish I can buy one of those idiot's
>books)

>2. My friend tells me our vac account does not have POP mail system
>so that I cannot read mail over the network connection unless I transfer
>my mail to another system where I have POP mail system. Is this true?

>3. If yes for Q.2 then is there a way to transfer may mail to the second
>account (I do have a account on a unix machine which has POP mail)
>automatically? So that I don't have worry about trasferring by myself
>each time.

>Can anyone of you please help me???
>I appreciate all of your input very much....

>Thanks in Advance

>Gamini

One solution might be to invoke MAIL on the VAX and

or some similar command depending upon your VAX hosts TCP/IP package. VMS
would then forward your VMSmail to the unix host where you can view them
with your POP client. I assume that your VAX has TCP/IP??? I'll also assume
that your friend is correct in his belief that your VAX does not support POP.

- Jim
--

San Diego Data Processing Corp |
5975 Santa Fe St               | Voice:    619.581.9665

Post by Jerry Lesl » Thu, 15 Sep 1994 04:22:46

: >  I have a question about reading mail on my vax account.
: >1.        I've got a PPP connection plus some nice mail programs (windows)
: >to read mail. But when I enter my host name and address as the mail
: >server it say cannot open POP mail. What should I enter for the
: >host address as the mail server? (I wish I can buy one of those idiot's
: >books)
: >
[...]

: --

: San Diego Data Processing Corp |
: 5975 Santa Fe St               | Voice:    619.581.9665
: San Diego, CA  92109  USA      | Fax:      619.581.9606

There is at least one POP3 package for VMS, per Chris Higgins' VMS
Software List:

 IUPOP3
Version:     V1.8-1
Availability:    F74 , S2
Filename:    IUPOP3
Date:        13-May-1994
Code:        C

F74  = ftp.indiana.edu (129.79.4.17)

The complete list may be obtained by:

Ftp to csvax1.ucc.ie (143.239.1.10), and get the following file:

   /anonymous/vms/sw-list/vms-sw-list-ii.txt

--Gerald (Jerry) R. Leslie
  Staff Engineer
  Dynamic Matrix Control Corporation    (my opinions are my own)
  P.O. Box 721648                       9896 Bissonnet
  Houston, Texas 77272                  Houston, Texas, 77036
  713/272-5065                          713/272-5200 (fax)

Post by Terry Po » Thu, 15 Sep 1994 02:38:54

>    I have a question about reading mail on my vax account.
>1.  I've got a PPP connection plus some nice mail programs (windows)
>to read mail. But when I enter my host name and address as the mail
>server it say cannot open POP mail. What should I enter for the
>host address as the mail server? (I wish I can buy one of those idiot's
>books)

You'll have to ask the person who runs your host and its mail server.
None of us knows.

Quote:>2. My friend tells me our vac account does not have POP mail system
>so that I cannot read mail over the network connection unless I transfer
>my mail to another system where I have POP mail system. Is this true?

Ask you friend who told him, and decide whether you can trust either of
them. Or ask the person who runs the vax on which you have an account.
He'll probably know whether he's installed a POP mail system.

Quote:>3. If yes for Q.2 then is there a way to transfer may mail to the second
>account (I do have a account on a unix machine which has POP mail)
>automatically? So that I don't have worry about trasferring by myself
>each time.

If you know how to send mail from your vax account to your unix account
(and I think you know by now who I think you should ask if you don't)
you can forward your mail from the vax to the unix machine. From the VMS
Mail program (which you run by typing MAIL at the DCL prompt), enter a
command like

set forward xxx

Replace xxx with the address that you would use to send mail to your
unix account. You will very likely have to put quotes around this
address. If you do, and if the address already has any quotes (which it
frequently does in these situations), double each of the existing
quotes. As a typical example, if your unix account is at the address

just punctuation), then a typical way to send mail to that account from
a vax is to send it to

(Guess who to ask what to put in for zz?)

In this case, you'd type the following command in the VMS Mail program:

Notice the doubling of the original quotes, and a new set around the
whole thing.

Once you've done this, send mail to yourself and see if it arrives.
(Give it a little time, there's no telling how messy the process of
getting it there really is.)

Good Luck.

Quote:

>Can anyone of you please help me???

The person who runs your vax can mostly likely help you. If your mail to
yourself doesn't get to the unix box, ask him, not us, because we can't
tell why it didn't work.
--

Phone/Fax: (800)255-2762, (913)776-4041      615 McCall Road

Post by Carl J Lydi » Thu, 15 Sep 1994 11:18:13

=2. My friend tells me our vac account does not have POP mail system
=so that I cannot read mail over the network connection unless I transfer
=my mail to another system where I have POP mail system. Is this true?

Who knows?  You haven't given us nearly enough information for us to tell.
What TCP/IP implementation's being run on your VAX?  Is the TCP/IP package
configured to deal with POP?  Though you may find this surprising, not every
system running VMS is configured identically.

Disclaimer:  Hey, I understand VAXen and VMS.  That's what I get paid for.  My
understanding of astronomy is purely at the amateur level (or below).  So
unless what I'm saying is directly related to VAX/VMS, don't hold me or my
organization responsible for it.  If it IS related to VAX/VMS, you can try to
hold me responsible for it, but my organization had nothing to do with it.