"""Problems!"""

Post by Fredrik Adolfsso » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Have a question regarding command procedures.

I have a command procedure, say X, that runs periodically for a
specific task, and if an error occure during operation, it will
run Y to notify a user. Y is another procedure that uses one of two
arguments as the mail adress where to send an error message.
  The line in X that runs Y evaluates to this (is what shows up in the

But, when the error is mailed from inside Y, mail is invoked

interpret as intended. Now to the question.

Q: How do I, without changing anything in Y, make Y enclose that last
parameter to mail in quotation marks ("s) ?!

/Fredrik

"""Problems!"""

Post by Arne Vajhoe » Sun, 18 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I have a command procedure, say X, that runs periodically for a
> specific task, and if an error occure during operation, it will
> run Y to notify a user. Y is another procedure that uses one of two
> arguments as the mail adress where to send an error message.
>   The line in X that runs Y evaluates to this (is what shows up in the

> But, when the error is mailed from inside Y, mail is invoked

> interpret as intended. Now to the question.

> Q: How do I, without changing anything in Y, make Y enclose that last
> parameter to mail in quotation marks ("4s) ?!

Z1.COM:

Z2.COM:
  $ write sys$output p1

So just use enough quotes !  :-)

                                                          Arne

Arne Vajh?j                             local DECNET:  KOPC::ARNE
Computer Department                     PSI:           PSI%23831001354030::ARNE

                WWW URL: http://www.hhs.dk/~arne/arne.html

"""Problems!"""

Post by Steve Barne » Sun, 18 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Have a question regarding command procedures.

>I have a command procedure, say X, that runs periodically for a
>specific task, and if an error occure during operation, it will
>run Y to notify a user. Y is another procedure that uses one of two
>arguments as the mail adress where to send an error message.
>  The line in X that runs Y evaluates to this (is what shows up in the

>But, when the error is mailed from inside Y, mail is invoked

>interpret as intended. Now to the question.

>Q: How do I, without changing anything in Y, make Y enclose that last
>parameter to mail in quotation marks ("s) ?!

>/Fredrik

Most languages and compilers strip the outermost pair of quotes off a
string at compile/parse time and reduce a double quote, (""), anywhere
in the string to a single quote of the same type as the double quote is
used to stand for realy a quote not the end of the string, judging the
line passed to mail this is what is happening.

Depending on the language there are a number of ways of passing your

mail after it has been 'stripped' of quotes:

2/ Some languages recognise both double and single quotes and ignore one

--
Steve Barnes

"""Problems!"""

: >

:
: Most languages and compilers strip the outermost pair of quotes off a
: string at compile/parse time and reduce a double quote, (""), anywhere
: in the string to a single quote of the same type as the double quote is
: used to stand for realy a quote not the end of the string, judging the
: line passed to mail this is what is happening.

Which languages and compilers do this?  I'd love to see a list of them.

: Depending on the language there are a number of ways of passing your

: mail after it has been 'stripped' of quotes:

Well, first off, from the examples and questions provided, I would venture to
guess that the "language" we are talking about here is DCL.

Doubling up quotes effectively is probably the way to go here.  It will
take lots of 'em.

: 2/ Some languages recognise both double and single quotes and ignore one

Umm, not DCL.

Again, I'd love to see a list of these "languages" which do this.

Are you sure you aren't speaking about UNIX shell "languages"?

-spongy

"""Problems!"""

Post by Christian Knapmey » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

  [...]
  > : 2/ Some languages recognise both double and single quotes and ignore one

  > Umm, not DCL.
  >
  > Again, I'd love to see a list of these "languages" which do this.
  >
  > Are you sure you aren't speaking about UNIX shell "languages"?
  >
  > -spongy

He might be speaking about Modula-2 for example, which was
a very fine language IMHO, before OOP became popular.

In Unix shell languages single and double quotes usually have an
influence on the interpretation of the string's contents, for example
variable expansion. But this depends on the shell being used.

Greetings,
  Christian

  TECMATH GmbH                          Voice: 06301/606-0  Fax: 06301/606-69
  Sauerwiesen 2                         Face : Room 249
  67661 Kaiserslautern, Germany         Disclaimer: as usual
 ---------- press any key to continue. press any other key to quit.----------

"""Problems!"""

Post by James Puz » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

:   > : 2/ Some languages recognise both double and single quotes and
:   > : ignore one within the other so you could try

:   >
:   > Umm, not DCL.
:   >
:   > Again, I'd love to see a list of these "languages" which do this.
:   >
:   > Are you sure you aren't speaking about UNIX shell "languages"?
:
: He might be speaking about Modula-2 for example, which was
: a very fine language IMHO, before OOP became popular.

That's one.  And if so, very inappropriate to the question asked.

: In Unix shell languages single and double quotes usually have an
: influence on the interpretation of the string's contents, for example
: variable expansion. But this depends on the shell being used.

I'm familiar with the behavior.  But again, I wonder why UNIX shell knowledge
would be used to answer a VMS DCL question.

-James

1. """The Art of Debugging"" Was: Compiler Optimisation problems"

of "The Art of Debugging" in my [ANONYMOUS] directory.  There is a .DVI file,
a .LN3 file for those who still have an LN03 or compatible, and a .PS file
for those who have PostScript.  I will add a .HPJ version for those with
H-P LaserJet printers.  I hope that will take care of most of those who
want a copy.  The .DVI, .LN3, and .HPJ files must be transferred as BINARY
files.  The .PS file is ASCII text although you will find it tough to read
without a PostScript printer.

*                        Here, there be dragons!                        *

*                                                                       *
*       I'm job hunting.  Any offers or leads will be appreciated.      *
* Thanks!                                                               *
*                                                Richard B. Gilbert     *

2. Poqet Utilities: Task-switching

3. F$GETQUI("DISPLAY_JOB","LOG_SPECIFICATION",,"THIS_JOB")

4. Two index pages in Nav bar, one exists?

6. FS: Misc Sparc Hardware (CG6, TGX, SunVideo, S10 CPU, HD, type5, etc.)

7. Cache "Total Size" vs. "Kbytes in use" ??

8. FP13 and mailer printing with PostScript

9. Capellas is either a "moron" or he's "paid off"!

10. f$env("procedure","line_number")

11. "process crash" vs. "application crash"

12. LINKING F90 programs leads to "multiply defined" and "undefined" CMA$TIS

13. Logical name "LINK" and user named "LINK"