PersonalWorkstation 500au

Post by Christoph Gartma » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

as I only got a single response to my questions concerning my new
PersonalWorkstation 500au, I would like to repost my questions again:
1.) the reset button doesn't work. Field service changed the CPU-board,
    the "raiser board" (I hope I got the spelling right), upgraded the
    firmware to V6.9, still no luck. Once VMS is up, pressing the reset
    button just freezes the system and I have to use the power switch!
    Booting the station under Win-NT resulted in a working reset switch :-(
    Anyone else seen this? Is this a firmware issue oder a VMS issue?
    Who else is using this workstation?
2.) There is definitely a bug in the firmware concerning the command
    "set language 0". Once you enter this command the keyboard gets completely
    messed up. Just a hint for those who intend to buy this machine.
3.) The sound card is not recognized by MMOV.
4.) Are the USB ports available under VMS?

Regards,
   Christoph Gartmann

| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-464   Fax: -452 |
| Immunbiologie                                                        |

| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                               |
+-------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for OpenVMS? --------+

Post by Fred Kleinsorg » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> as I only got a single response to my questions concerning my new
> PersonalWorkstation 500au, I would like to repost my questions again:
> 1.) the reset button doesn't work. Field service changed the CPU-board,
>     the "raiser board" (I hope I got the spelling right), upgraded the
>     firmware to V6.9, still no luck. Once VMS is up, pressing the reset
>     button just freezes the system and I have to use the power switch!
>     Booting the station under Win-NT resulted in a working reset switch :-(
>     Anyone else seen this? Is this a firmware issue oder a VMS issue?
>     Who else is using this workstation?

  The reset button should cause a re-init of the system.  It's a
  hardware/FW operation, so it should just work.  Can you send the
  output from a SHOW command at the console to give us the environment
  variable settings in the FW?

Quote:> 2.) There is definitely a bug in the firmware concerning the command
>     "set language 0". Once you enter this command the keyboard gets completely
>     messed up. Just a hint for those who intend to buy this machine.

  Did you log this error?  I'll forward it to the FW developer.

Quote:> 3.) The sound card is not recognized by MMOV.

  The Multi-media LP is in the process of being updated to support
  the new sound card.  It will be available next spring.  Sorry.

Quote:> 4.) Are the USB ports available under VMS?

  USB support is being developed as we speak.  Again, targeted for
  availability next spring.  Feedback on the devices you want to
  plug in is useful.  Printer support is probably the first usable
  device we plan.  KB/Mouse support will also be done.

PersonalWorkstation 500au

Post by John Johnston » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I'm surprised that the field service people didn't know how the front panel
button was supposed to work!

I have used the front panel button to do a reset on an AlphaStation 200,
255, and 500.  On these systems there is a jumper on the MLB that configures
the button to do either a reset or a halt.  The factory setting is for a
reset.  I haven't used any systems with the button configured to do a halt.

I just tried the button on a Personal Workstation and indeed it did behave
as you described.  The user manual describes the front panel button as a
reset.  It also mentions a switch on the MLB as a "test/diagnose (halt)
button".  It seems to work no differently from the one on the front as if
the two were in parallel.

Unfortunately, things are always so complicated today.  :-)  The results
from the button vary according to the state of the system.  I didn't find
any cases where the button does a reset.

o  If VMS is running, the system is configured for a graphics console, and
   the graphics console is not displayed, which is the normal mode of
   operation for the system, pressing the button does indeed seem to stop
   the system with no method of control after that.  Cycling the system
   power is the only thing that can be done.

o  If the system is halted with the SRM prompt displayed, the system will
   stop while the button is pressed and then resume when the button is
   released.  If a ">>> show" is done, the output from it will stop on
   button press and resume on button release.

o  If the system is booting up, and VMS has control of the system and the X
   server hasn't started yet, the button does a halt.  You can continue with
   a ">>> continue". This is similar to the situation with Ctrl-C and
   Ctrl-P. You can stop the system if the SRM boot process is running (quite
   briefly) with Ctrl-C.  After VMS takes control but before the X server
   starts, Ctrl-P will stop the system.

o  Once the X server has started, you can recall the graphics console with
   Ctrl-F2.  If the button is then pressed, the system will halt.  You can
   continue with ">>> continue" followed by Ctrl-F2.

o  If the system is running while configured for a serial console, the
   button does a halt at all times while VMS is running.

The language setting seems to work only while the system is using a serial
console.  The key mapping is completely hosed when it is used when the
console set to graphics and a keyboard type of LK411, it might be different
with PCXAL.  The "set language 0" followed by an "init" is in the user
manual. There is no reference to the mode of console operation.  What works
differently when the language selection is made?

The sound hardware of the PWS is not supported by MMOV or VMS currently.
According to postings in this newsgroup, it might be supported in a future
version.  Also according to postings here, a "standard" MS-compatible ISA
sound card will work in a PWS with the current version of MMOV.

The USB ports are also not supported currently.  I don't know if there is
any chance that they will be supported in a future version.

Workstations running VMS are a little bit like the Macs.  There are not that
many people using them, but the ones that do, are quite serious about them.

> Hello,

> as I only got a single response to my questions concerning my new
> PersonalWorkstation 500au, I would like to repost my questions again:
> 1.) the reset button doesn't work. Field service changed the CPU-board,
>     the "raiser board" (I hope I got the spelling right), upgraded the
>     firmware to V6.9, still no luck. Once VMS is up, pressing the reset
>     button just freezes the system and I have to use the power switch!
>     Booting the station under Win-NT resulted in a working reset switch :-(
>     Anyone else seen this? Is this a firmware issue oder a VMS issue?
>     Who else is using this workstation?
> 2.) There is definitely a bug in the firmware concerning the command
>     "set language 0". Once you enter this command the keyboard gets completely
>     messed up. Just a hint for those who intend to buy this machine.
> 3.) The sound card is not recognized by MMOV.
> 4.) Are the USB ports available under VMS?

> Regards,
>    Christoph Gartmann

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-464   Fax: -452 |
> | Immunbiologie                                                        |

> | D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                               |
> +-------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for OpenVMS? --------+

PersonalWorkstation 500au

Post by Hoff Hoffm » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

  What OpenVMS version and what ECOs?

  Use OpenVMS Alpha V7.1-1H1 or -1H2, and start with the following
  (or later) ECO kits:

    ALPBASE01_071
    ALPSCSI03_071
    ALPSYS13_071
    ALPCPUE02_071
    ALPDRIV07_071
    ALPLAN01_H1071
    ALPCPU1E02_071

:as I only got a single response to my questions concerning my new
:PersonalWorkstation 500au, I would like to repost my questions again:

  Identifying the specific Personal Workstation is rather interesting.
  Either specific pieces of the configuration such as the PCI bridge
  chipset -- or possibly just the SN- serial number on the bottom of
  the box -- is needed here...

:1.) the reset button doesn't work. Field service changed the CPU-board,
:    the "raiser board" (I hope I got the spelling right), upgraded the

  "riser"

:    firmware to V6.9, still no luck. Once VMS is up, pressing the reset
:    button just freezes the system and I have to use the power switch!
:    Booting the station under Win-NT resulted in a working reset switch :-(
:    Anyone else seen this? Is this a firmware issue oder a VMS issue?
:    Who else is using this workstation?

  You will need to get the specific type of system and configuration
  checked to see that it works with OpenVMS.  On various of the series,
  the button is "halt" -- check the console line -- not "reset".  If
  you press the button, you must tell it to continue or to boot or to
  do whatever at the console.

  In other words, that button is "halt" -- not "reset" -- on various
  members of the Personal Workstation series.

:2.) There is definitely a bug in the firmware concerning the command
:    "set language 0". Once you enter this command the keyboard gets completely
:    messed up. Just a hint for those who intend to buy this machine.

  Can't say I've seen that one...

:3.) The sound card is not recognized by MMOV.

  Correct.  We're looking to better deal with graphics and related
  support in OpenVMS as mentioned in earlier postings in this newsgroup
  by Fred Kleinsorge.

:4.) Are the USB ports available under VMS?

  USB support is not presently available on OpenVMS.

 -------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------

  note to those folks not contributing spam -- there is no ZZ in my address

PersonalWorkstation 500au

Post by Christoph Gartma » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm surprised that the field service people didn't know how the front panel
>button was supposed to work!
[...]
>I just tried the button on a Personal Workstation and indeed it did behave
>as you described.  The user manual describes the front panel button as a
>reset.  It also mentions a switch on the MLB as a "test/diagnose (halt)
>button".  It seems to work no differently from the one on the front as if
>the two were in parallel.

Ok, you are the second person using this station that answered and both
of you are able to reproduce the problem :-(

Quote:>Unfortunately, things are always so complicated today.  :-)  The results
>from the button vary according to the state of the system.  I didn't find
>any cases where the button does a reset.

>o  If VMS is running, the system is configured for a graphics console, and
>   the graphics console is not displayed, which is the normal mode of
>   operation for the system, pressing the button does indeed seem to stop
>   the system with no method of control after that.  Cycling the system
>   power is the only thing that can be done.

>o  If the system is halted with the SRM prompt displayed, the system will
>   stop while the button is pressed and then resume when the button is
>   released.  If a ">>> show" is done, the output from it will stop on
>   button press and resume on button release.

>o  If the system is booting up, and VMS has control of the system and the X
>   server hasn't started yet, the button does a halt.  You can continue with
>   a ">>> continue". This is similar to the situation with Ctrl-C and
>   Ctrl-P. You can stop the system if the SRM boot process is running (quite
>   briefly) with Ctrl-C.  After VMS takes control but before the X server
>   starts, Ctrl-P will stop the system.

>o  Once the X server has started, you can recall the graphics console with
>   Ctrl-F2.  If the button is then pressed, the system will halt.  You can
>   continue with ">>> continue" followed by Ctrl-F2.

>o  If the system is running while configured for a serial console, the
>   button does a halt at all times while VMS is running.

Thanks for the in-depth investigation!

Quote:>The language setting seems to work only while the system is using a serial
>console.  The key mapping is completely hosed when it is used when the
>console set to graphics and a keyboard type of LK411, it might be different
>with PCXAL.

Nope. I tried both keyboards and both keyboard type settings, always the same.

Quote:>The "set language 0" followed by an "init" is in the user
>manual. There is no reference to the mode of console operation.  What works
>differently when the language selection is made?

The problem is that you can't even enter the "init" after you did either
a "set language 0" or a "set language". Setting "language" to any other
supported value (e.g. 30, 32, 36,...) works fine.

Quote:>The sound hardware of the PWS is not supported by MMOV or VMS currently.
>According to postings in this newsgroup, it might be supported in a future
>version.  Also according to postings here, a "standard" MS-compatible ISA
>sound card will work in a PWS with the current version of MMOV.

>The USB ports are also not supported currently.  I don't know if there is
>any chance that they will be supported in a future version.

Did you see the recent posting of Fred Kleinsorge today? There is hope!

Regards,
   Christoph Gartmann

| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-464   Fax: -452 |
| Immunbiologie                                                        |

| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                               |
+-------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for OpenVMS? --------+

PersonalWorkstation 500au

Post by John Johnston » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

[snipped]

Quote:> Thanks for the in-depth investigation!

My company's product is based on the PWS so I thought it would be a good
idea to be thorough.  :-)

[snipped]

Quote:> The problem is that you can't even enter the "init" after you did either
> a "set language 0" or a "set language". Setting "language" to any other
> supported value (e.g. 30, 32, 36,...) works fine.

When the "set language 0" was done from a terminal connected to the serial
port, it allowed the "init" to be done and a choice could be entered from
the language menu.  I just don't know what the effect should be after making
the selection.

Quote:> Did you see the recent posting of Fred Kleinsorge today? There is hope!

At the time I made the post, I hadn't seen the entries from Fred or Hoff.

Fred Kleinsorge wrote:

>   The reset button should cause a re-init of the system.  It's a
>   hardware/FW operation, so it should just work.  Can you send the
>   output from a SHOW command at the console to give us the environment
>   variable settings in the FW?

It's good to have a record of this stuff anyway, right?  These values are
from a 433au that I did some testing with:

adv_diag                off
auto_action             HALT
boot_dev                dka0.0.0.1004.0
boot_file
boot_osflags            0,0
boot_reset              OFF
bootdef_dev             dka0.0.0.1004.0
booted_dev              dka0.0.0.1004.0
booted_file
booted_osflags          0,0
char_set                0
console                 serial
controlp                on
d_bell                  off
d_cleanup               on
d_complete              off
d_eop                   off
d_group                 field
d_harderr               halt
d_loghard               on
d_logsoft               off
d_oper                  off
d_passes                1
d_quick                 off
d_report                full
d_runtime               0
d_softerr               continue
d_startup               off
d_status                off
d_trace                 off
dma_prefetch            OFF
dump_dev
enable_audit            ON
ewa0_arp_tries          3
ewa0_bootp_file
ewa0_bootp_server
ewa0_bootp_tries        3
ewa0_def_ginetaddr      0.0.0.0
ewa0_def_inetaddr       0.0.0.0
ewa0_def_inetfile
ewa0_def_sinetaddr      0.0.0.0
ewa0_def_subnetmask     0.0.0.0
ewa0_ginetaddr          0.0.0.0
ewa0_inet_init          bootp
ewa0_inetaddr           0.0.0.0
ewa0_inetfile
ewa0_loop_count         3e8
ewa0_loop_inc           a
ewa0_loop_patt          ffffffff
ewa0_loop_size          2e
ewa0_lp_msg_node        1
ewa0_mode               Twisted-Pair
ewa0_protocols          MOP
ewa0_sinetaddr          0.0.0.0
ewa0_tftp_tries         3
kbd_hardware_type       LK411
language                36
language_name           English(American)
license                 MU
mopv3_boot              OFF
os_type                 OpenVMS
pal                     VMS PALcode V1.20-14, OSF PALcode V1.22-17
pci_device_override     0
pci_parity              off
pka0_host_id            7
pka0_mode               fast
pka0_soft_term          on
quick_start             OFF
scsi_poll               ON
sys_serial_num
tt_allow_login          1
tty_dev                 0
version                 V6.8-41 May 21 1998 16:03:04

Hoff Hoffman wrote:

> In article <740nq7$1t...@n.ruf.uni-freiburg.de>, gartm...@immunbio.mpg.de (Christoph Gartmann) writes:

>   What OpenVMS version and what ECOs?

>   Use OpenVMS Alpha V7.1-1H1 or -1H2, and start with the following
>   (or later) ECO kits:

>     ALPBASE01_071
>     ALPSCSI03_071
>     ALPSYS13_071
>     ALPCPUE02_071
>     ALPDRIV07_071
>     ALPLAN01_H1071
>     ALPCPU1E02_071

This system has the listed ECOs with the exception of ALPCPUE02_071 and
ALPLAN01_H1071.

>   Identifying the specific Personal Workstation is rather interesting.
>   Either specific pieces of the configuration such as the PCI bridge
>   chipset -- or possibly just the SN- serial number on the bottom of
>   the box -- is needed here...

The model # is SN-B3AAA-R2.  The serial# from this system is NI833053xx
(can't be too specific or somebody might pinch the number to make bogus
support calls, right?) :-)

This is from the show config:

Firmware
SRM Console:    V6.8-41
ARC Console:    5.65
PALcode:        VMS PALcode V1.20-14, OSF PALcode V1.22-17
SROM Version:   v5.90

Processor
DECchip (tm) 21164A-2   Pass   433 MHz  96 KBytes SCache
0 MB BCache
PYXIS ASIC Pass 257

MEMORY

Memory Size = 192Mb

Bank      Size/Sets   Base Addr
------    ----------  ---------
   0         64Mb      08000000
   1        128Mb      00000000

BCache Size = 0Mb

Tested Memory =  192Mbytes

PCI Bus
     Bus 00  Slot 03: Digital Semiconductor 21143 Network Controller
                                   ewa0.0.0.3.0          00-00-F8-76-24-67

     Bus 00  Slot 07: Cypress PCI Peripheral Controller

     Bus 00  Slot 07: PCI IDE

     Bus 00  Slot 07: PCI IDE

                                   dqb0.0.0.207.0         TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-62

     Bus 00  Slot 07: PCI USB
     Bus 00  Slot 11: Digital TGA2 Graphics Controller
     Bus 00  Slot 20: DECchip 21152 PCI to PCI Bridge
       Bus 01  Slot 04: ISP1040 Scsi Controller
                                   pka0.7.0.1004.0       SCSI Bus ID 7
                                   dka0.0.0.1004.0        RZ1CB-BS
                                   mka500.5.0.1004.0      TLZ09

ISA
Slot    Device  Name      Type       Enabled  BaseAddr  IRQ     DMA
0
        0       MOUSE     Embedded      Yes     60      12
        1       KBD       Embedded      Yes     60      1
        2       COM1      Embedded      Yes     3f8     4
        3       COM2      Embedded      Yes     2f8     3
        4       LPT1      Embedded      Yes     3bc     7
        5       FLOPPY    Embedded      Yes     3f0     6       2
        6       EIDE      Embedded      Yes     1f0     14
                                                3f6     15
                                                170
                                                376
        7       ES1888    Embedded      Yes     220     5       1
                                                                5
        8       USB       Embedded      Yes             10

>   You will need to get the specific type of system and configuration
>   checked to see that it works with OpenVMS.  On various of the series,
>   the button is "halt" -- check the console line -- not "reset".  If
>   you press the button, you must tell it to continue or to boot or to
>   do whatever at the console.

>   In other words, that button is "halt" -- not "reset" -- on various
>   members of the Personal Workstation series.

How do we specify a halt or reset at the console?  Is there a console
variable that configures this?

Post by Christoph Gartma » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

In article <3663F64D.40267...@star.enet.dec_nospam.com>, Fred Kleinsorge <kleinso...@star.enet.dec_nospam.com> writes:

>Christoph Gartmann wrote:
>> 1.) the reset button doesn't work. Field service changed the CPU-board,
>>     the "raiser board" (I hope I got the spelling right), upgraded the
>>     firmware to V6.9, still no luck. Once VMS is up, pressing the reset
>>     button just freezes the system and I have to use the power switch!
>>     Booting the station under Win-NT resulted in a working reset switch :-(
>>     Anyone else seen this? Is this a firmware issue oder a VMS issue?
>>     Who else is using this workstation?

>  The reset button should cause a re-init of the system.  It's a
>  hardware/FW operation, so it should just work.  Can you send the
>  output from a SHOW command at the console to give us the environment
>  variable settings in the FW?

adv_diag                off
auto_action             HALT
boot_dev                dka0.0.0.1004.0
boot_file
boot_osflags            0,0
boot_reset              OFF
bootdef_dev             dka0.0.0.1004.0
booted_dev
booted_file
booted_osflags
char_set                0
console                 graphics
controlp                on
d_bell                  off
d_cleanup               on
d_complete              off
d_eop                   off
d_group                 field
d_harderr               halt
d_loghard               on
d_logsoft               off
d_oper                  off
d_passes                1
d_quick                 off
d_report                full
d_runtime               0
d_softerr               continue
d_startup               off
d_status                off
d_trace                 off
dma_prefetch            ON
dump_dev
enable_audit            ON
ewa0_arp_tries          3
ewa0_bootp_file
ewa0_bootp_server
ewa0_bootp_tries        3
ewa0_def_ginetaddr      0.0.0.0
ewa0_def_inetaddr       0.0.0.0
ewa0_def_inetfile
ewa0_def_sinetaddr      0.0.0.0
ewa0_def_subnetmask     0.0.0.0
ewa0_ginetaddr          0.0.0.0
ewa0_inet_init          bootp
ewa0_inetaddr           0.0.0.0
ewa0_inetfile
ewa0_loop_count         3e8
ewa0_loop_inc           a
ewa0_loop_patt          ffffffff
ewa0_loop_size          2e
ewa0_lp_msg_node        1
ewa0_mode               Twisted-Pair
ewa0_protocols          MOP
ewa0_sinetaddr          0.0.0.0
ewa0_tftp_tries         3
kbd_hardware_type       LK411
language                32
language_name           Deutsch
license                 MU
mopv3_boot              OFF
os_type                 OpenVMS
pal                     VMS PALcode V1.20-14, OSF PALcode V1.22-17
pci_device_override     0
pci_parity              off
pka0_host_id            7
pka0_mode               fast
pka0_soft_term          on
quick_start             OFF
scsi_poll               ON
srm2dev
sys_serial_num          AY84550418
tt_allow_login          1
tty_dev                 0
version                 V6.9-7 Oct 30 1998 14:10:45

>> 2.) There is definitely a bug in the firmware concerning the command
>>     "set language 0". Once you enter this command the keyboard gets completely
>>     messed up. Just a hint for those who intend to buy this machine.

>  Did you log this error?  I'll forward it to the FW developer.

I made a call to Digital/Compaq here in Germany.

>> 3.) The sound card is not recognized by MMOV.

>  The Multi-media LP is in the process of being updated to support
>  the new sound card.  It will be available next spring.  Sorry.

No problem, it is good to see that something is happening!

>> 4.) Are the USB ports available under VMS?

>  USB support is being developed as we speak.  Again, targeted for
>  availability next spring.  Feedback on the devices you want to
>  plug in is useful.  Printer support is probably the first usable
>  device we plan.  KB/Mouse support will also be done.

At the moment it was pure curiosity. But printer support would be the thing
we are interested in.

| Postfach 1169                 Internet: gartm...@immunbio.mpg.de     |
| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                               |
+-------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for OpenVMS? --------+

PersonalWorkstation 500au

Post by Christoph Gartma » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>  What OpenVMS version and what ECOs?

>  Use OpenVMS Alpha V7.1-1H1 or -1H2, and start with the following
>  (or later) ECO kits:

>    ALPBASE01_071
>    ALPSCSI03_071
>    ALPSYS13_071
>    ALPCPUE02_071
>    ALPDRIV07_071
>    ALPLAN01_H1071
>    ALPCPU1E02_071

I have V7.1-1H2 running plus
ALPBASE02_071, ALPCPUC03, ALPCPUE02_071, ALPSHAD04_071, ALPSYSA01_071,
ALPF11X03_071, ALPDRIV06_071, ALPDRIV07_071, ALPDRIV09_071, ALPDCL01_071,
ALPLAD01_071, ALPLAT02_071, ALPLOGI05_071, ALPMC01_071, ALPCPU101_071,
ALPMOTF03_U4012 ALPMOUN04_071, ALPMSCP01_071, ALPIPC01_071, ALPPPD01_071,
ALPRMS02_071, ALPSCSI04_071, ALPSYSB02_071, ALPTNT01_071

Quote:>:as I only got a single response to my questions concerning my new
>:PersonalWorkstation 500au, I would like to repost my questions again:

>  Identifying the specific Personal Workstation is rather interesting.
>  Either specific pieces of the configuration such as the PCI bridge
>  chipset -- or possibly just the SN- serial number on the bottom of
>  the box -- is needed here...

Serial Number is AY8455041, Model is SN-B3AAA-R3 .

Quote:>  You will need to get the specific type of system and configuration
>  checked to see that it works with OpenVMS.

I bought this thing factory preloaded with VMS. And VMS is the reason why
I bought it.

Quote:>  On various of the series, the button is "halt" -- check the console line --
>  not "reset".  If you press the button, you must tell it to continue or to
>  boot or to do whatever at the console.
>  In other words, that button is "halt" -- not "reset" -- on various
>  members of the Personal Workstation series.

This hint and the investigations of John Johnstone brought me to a full
understanding what is happening here:

1.) If you set the console to "serial" there is no problem at all, neither with
    the reset nor with the keyboard.
2.) If the console is "graphics" things get complicated.
 a) There is this keyboard thing (verified by two different service people
    from Digital/Compaq [it is still Digital here in Germany]). The problem
    occurs with both an LK- and a PC-keyboard.
 b) the reset button: If VMS is up and running I can press Ctrl-F2 and switch
    to the console screen. If I then press "reset" I get to the boot prompt
    where I can enter commands. I can say "continue" and switch back to the
    graphics screen and all is fine.
    Now, if I press reset on the graphics screen I can't use Ctrl-F2 to switch
    to the console screen, it doesn't work anymore. Nevertheless I am able to
    enter commands via the keyboard (although I don't actually see what I
    type). If I type "continue", press enter and then Ctrl-F2 I am back to the
    graphics screen and the system is working all right.
Conclusion: the graphics screen is not properly supported. I wouldn't mind
pressing Ctrl-F2 before pressing reset. But what, if the system hangs? It is
most likely that Ctrl-F2 will not work in this case. And then I am not able
to see what I type at the boot prompt...

Post by Fred Kleinsorg » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> o  If VMS is running, the system is configured for a graphics console, and
>    the graphics console is not displayed, which is the normal mode of
>    operation for the system, pressing the button does indeed seem to stop
>    the system with no method of control after that.  Cycling the system
>    power is the only thing that can be done.

  Which is *not* consistant with how the system should work regardless
of
  the button being HALT or RESET.

Quote:> o  If the system is halted with the SRM prompt displayed, the system will
>    stop while the button is pressed and then resume when the button is
>    released.  If a ">>> show" is done, the output from it will stop on
>    button press and resume on button release.

> o  If the system is booting up, and VMS has control of the system and the X
>    server hasn't started yet, the button does a halt.  You can continue with
>    a ">>> continue". This is similar to the situation with Ctrl-C and
>    Ctrl-P. You can stop the system if the SRM boot process is running (quite
>    briefly) with Ctrl-C.  After VMS takes control but before the X server
>    starts, Ctrl-P will stop the system.

> o  Once the X server has started, you can recall the graphics console with
>    Ctrl-F2.  If the button is then pressed, the system will halt.  You can
>    continue with ">>> continue" followed by Ctrl-F2.

  This tends to indicate that the problem is that the console is not
properly
  able to get the graphics engine back into console text mode from
graphics
  mode.  Which is curious, since the TGA2 graphics adapter (which is
what I
  think I saw in an earlier message) is switched between modes by a
simple
  bit twiddle between the graphics engine, and the dumb VGA chip.

Quote:> o  If the system is running while configured for a serial console, the
>    button does a halt at all times while VMS is running.

> The language setting seems to work only while the system is using a serial
> console.  The key mapping is completely hosed when it is used when the
> console set to graphics and a keyboard type of LK411, it might be different
> with PCXAL.  The "set language 0" followed by an "init" is in the user
> manual. There is no reference to the mode of console operation.  What works
> differently when the language selection is made?

  The language setting should work with the PCXAL, I would hope.

  In any case, I have forwarded the base note to the FW engineer
responsible,
  I'll post anything I hear back.

1. Questions about a PersonalWorkstation 500au

Hello,

I just received a new PersonalWorkstation 500au preloaded with VMS. And now
I have some questions/problems:

1.) This station has two USB ports. Can these be used from within VMS 7.1-1?
2.) The reset button doesn't work as expected. When I press it and the machine
    is up and running, the computer just hangs. When I press it at the boot
    prompt nothing happens. Has anyone else seen this?
3.) I connected a German LK keyboard. At the boot prompt I changed the
    "kbd_hardware_type" to LK411 and then did a "set language 0".
    After that the keyboard was totally messed up, I didn't get any numbers
    anymore, some of the keys didn't work and it was impossible to select
    the correct language from the menu that appeared after power-on reset.
    This is reproducible.
4.) This computer has a firmware V6.8-44, a VMS Palcode of 1.20-14 and an
    OSF-Palcode of 1.22-17. The Firmware CD offers V6.8, 1.21-10 and 1.18-10.
    Thus, the VMS-Palcode on the CD-ROM is newer but the rest is older. Would
    a "Firmware Upgrade" be reasonable?

Regards,
   Christoph Gartmann

| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-464   Fax: -452 |
| Immunbiologie                                                        |

| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                               |
+-------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for OpenVMS? --------+

2. Amiga reading IBM formatted EZ135 carts

3. KZPBA-CB & PersonalWorkstation

4. BSP / RayCasting

5. VMS on PersonalWorkstations: Pointer...

6. OS/2 Crash

7. LCD panel, 500au, ELSA Gloria Card, How?

8. Modifying Print-out of Overflow Tasks in Calendar View

9. LVD SCSI on PWS 500au

10. 500au ethernet apparently won't operate at 100bps

11. Installing V7.3 on Personal Workstation 500au

12. 500au Video questions

13. 500A to 500AU